• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

confusion over fork preload adjustment

Corn Oil Kid

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I want to adjust the fork preload on my B1100. I started turning the knobs but got a bit concerned after they kept turning but there were no audible clicks or by feel. Can they be turned until they stop, and then backed off a bit?

The manual says to set them at 8? whatever that means.

I've never adjusted the fork pre-load on my Breva, but as far as I can read in the manual: turn the bolts back to minimum pre-load and then turn them 8,5 times for the standard pre-load. No clicks just by counting the turns.
At the rearshock you can hear and feel the clicks for pre-load and re-bounce.

I've never touched the suspension settings on my Breva in the 2 years I've had it, other than the preload on the rear shock as I ride 2 up regulary. I've found the rear shock has 60 clicks total and I have it set at 45 from soft.

Having read the above thread I checked the rear rebound and found it at the standard 14, I have charged this to 11 as recomended by the link in the above post.

As for the front I always found it to be soft, so I checked and found the left leg 13 turns out and the right 12 turns out, maybe they wind out with viabration over the years or maybe the previous owner's been fiddling, anyway I've reset them at 7 turns out again as recomended by the link in the above post.

Other than rear preload I've never found much difference with all the other adjustments on previous bikes and tended to leave well alone (although this is my first "modern" bike) I'll let you know if it's made a difference this time.

I'm off to Prague and then the Church of Bones in the morning then back through Austria. 10 days and 2500 miles.

Ps Rider 80Kgs, Passenger 65Kgs.

Back