• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

GAS TANK PIMPLES

ncassidy

Cruisin' Guzzisti
When I bought my Norge in 2007, it was brand new. I brought it home in January so was not able to ride it until the weather got better. I noticed that the gas tank had 3 blemishes on it that were under the paint. They sort of looked like pimples of varying size, but no damage to the paint, so I thought that the tank had not been sanded out enough, no big deal, hey it's Italian. Anyway, the other day, in the right sunlight I noticed more of these blemishes. They were not there before, so they have cropped up from under the paint. Still no damage to the paint. Now it is getting me to wonder if the gas in the tank is having some effect on the material the tank is made of. Wondering if anyone else has had this happen to their Norge.

It sounds like you may have a porous tank. I've not heard of that recently with plastic tanks (ran across some in the 70s on dirt bikes), but it can happen. Did you point it out to your dealer when you were still under warranty? If not, you may have to spring for a replacement tank on your own dime. Doubtful the fuel would erode a good plastic tank. My guess is that there are imperfection in the plastic from when it was made and the fuel is making its way through, or the tank wasn't properly finished and the paint is just lifting over time. If it was just a poor pain job, you may be able to just repaint instead of replace. Painting plastic is tricky.

Do the modern plastic tanks sport some kind of internal material (i.e. special internal paint) to stop the gas fumes escaping through the walls or are the plastic materials used evolved past the porous problems of the past?

Ethanol gremlin got you. Tank probably was not treated correctly to prevent that. So far I have 1 dimple on my Norge .

Out of curiosity, I just checked my 2006 Breva. No "pimples". Is this just a Norge phenomenon or are there Brevas out there with the issue? I would think both would have the problem since they are so similar.

30K miles on my 07 Norge and no pimples so far, I hope it stays that way. :S

06 Breva UK fuel, No sign of any pimples

Had some problems trying to brim fill her over the weekend which i dont usually bother doing - got blowback and quite a bit of petrol on the paintwork. Thought it best to cut the top surface with paint restorer and wax n seal- paint now like new again. Is this luck of the draw or is there a pattern - certain fuel in some locations?

Art

I haven't counted how many pimples on my 07 Norge. Quite a few. Since the bike was new to me in May, I just assumed that the factory paint quality was poor. Anyway, I ride with a tank bag so not much of the tank shows anyway.

I went out to the shed with a bottle of Stridex for my Black B11 but, I didn't need it. No pimples,,, so far...

Could you send me the bottle of stridex? My tank looks like an adolescent with acne problems. Actually, the tank is not that bad, it did come with 2 rather large blemishes under the paint and I just thought it was a poor finish job, but now other smaller pimples are showing up, so I have to wonder if the fuel is having an effect on the tank. My biggest fear is that the pimples may pop and spew white goo all over the gauges. :woohoo:

Same same with my Breva. It was spreading until I crashed the bike. Some of my dimples were quiet large really. Maybe half the size of a US penny.

Back