• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Avon Storm/Storm Ultra 2

guzzibob

GT Reference
Anybody tried above tires on Norge or other Carc bike? Especially interested in longevity as my Norge used primarily for touring purposes. So far used:

Metezler Z6: 9300 mi front, 5600 (cord showing) on rear-never use their rear again, no tread/wear bands in center to warn of impending end of tread life.

Dunlop Roadsmart: approx 6500 F&R

and the overall winner so far:

Michelin Road Pilot 2: 7000 rear, approx 8000 front (gonna replace now at 7000 before going to Oregon, some tread left)

For my handling purposes not that much difference, all do fine. Was gonna go with the Michelin's till my local M/C tire shop suggested the Storms. I gather the Ultra 2's are a higher mileage version of the regular Storm. Anybody had them long enough to help out here?

I tried the Avon Storms on my previous B11. They squared off fairly soon in my opinion. I live in Illinois however so your results may vary. Excellent in rain and no complaints with handling. If memory serves me correct ,they lasted a little less mileage wise than the Roadtechs Z6. I liked the Z6's a lot myself. Currently running the Michelin Road Pilot 2 on my Sport. My most favorite so far. Only have 2k+ miles so far but reports on longevity like yours seem accurate. It really depends so much on the type of roads, 2 up with luggage etc. and riding style I think. Some Arkansas and Mo. roads chew rubber in exchange for your joy.

German "Motorrad" performed a sport-touring-tire-test a couple of issues ago (http://www.motorradonline.de/de/zubehoe ... fen/188579), comparing the main brands (Michelin, Bridgestone, Dunlop, Avon, Pirelli, Metzeler). "Motorrad" is the biggest of the European MC-magazines, and do have large resources for such tests.
Sorry to say that the Storm hit the jumbo spot. In nearly all test parts.

Stick to Michelin or Dunlop, as I remember. Also the new Pirelli Angel showed up to be a good tire.
The article is downloadable, in German and at a fee. Or I can copy to a .pdf, if any interrest.

Edit; sorry a mind slip. The Pirelli Angel showed up to be about a shared no 1 together with Michelin Pilot Power.
But Storm Ultra 2 still jumbo...

Test was performed over an 4500 km ride during 10 days on a number of identical bikes, so I think it's a quite reliable test.

You've beaten me with that article Holt, was also in a Dutch magazin, Michelin and Pirelli came out best.
My B 11 started on Michelin Pilot Road and after 14000 km changed both front and rear for Michelin Pilot Road 2.
I like them after 10.000 km still going strong... :)

YEA YEA YEA.
I tried that. just this week.
I wanted either the Michelin PR2's or the Dunlop Roadsmarts.
I got told that neither, are made so small, as to fit the Breva 750 wheels.
So far, I have got about 7000 mi, out of the Pirelli Sport Demon, with 2 up & big bags.
I get a bit more out of the Metzler Lazertec.
( Talking about the rear tyre, in both cases )
Supposedly both the PR 2 and the Roadsmart, are made as low as 150, where the Breva 750 is 130. ??
Anyone know anything different ? if so, let me know.
Take Care Out There.

motoguzziman said:
YEA YEA YEA.
I tried that. just this week.
I wanted either the Michelin PR2's or the Dunlop Roadsmarts.
I got told that neither, are made so small, as to fit the Breva 750 wheels.
So far, I have got about 7000 mi, out of the Pirelli Sport Demon, with 2 up & big bags.
I get a bit more out of the Metzler Lazertec.
( Talking about the rear tyre, in both cases )
Supposedly both the PR 2 and the Roadsmart, are made as low as 150, where the Breva 750 is 130. ??
Anyone know anything different ? if so, let me know.
Take Care Out There.

The 750 is a different breed.
AFAK there are no diagonal tires on the market for them - and you don't need that either for the narrow rims.
I've tried a few, Pirelli Demons let me down - it may have been a single failure in production, but 3000 km for a rear tire is not good enough, specially on a 750 Breva....
I do not like Laserteks, which are very slippery in cold rain and very sensitive to rutted roads, specially when worn.
The best so far are Michelin Pilot Activs, which provides grip and milage; not too sensitive for road unevenness when worn but could provide a tad better grip in rain.

What about Bridgestone new BT 23 GT? In the test? I got one on the rear a week ago after two Dunlop Roadsmarts, the last one ended with a nail and puncture.
My rear´s usual ends up about 6000 - 8000 km, hope the BT23 GT last longer

I suppose the Header got my attention, should have mebbe questioned this in small block.
Sorry!
Thanks Holt ! ( As Usual )
Take care Out There

guzzibob said:
and the overall winner so far:

Michelin Road Pilot 2: 7000 rear, approx 8000 front (gonna replace now at 7000 before going to Oregon, some tread left)

Update-eventually decided not to replace the front Pilot Road 2 before going to Oregon, instead found a place up in Bend Oregon (Pro Calibur Power Sports, very nice people) that would hold a new one for me IF I needed it. Result? Went to Oregon & back, front tire now has over 10,000 miles on it, STILL not quite down to wear bands.

Conclusion:For me, it's Michelin Pilot Road 2's front & rear until something else is proven better. Better meaning sticks/handles no worse & lasts longer, better stick not needed for my purposes. For me the Michelin's for sure better than Metzler Z6 or Dunlop Roadsmart. Avon Storm/Ultra 2 not in contention until someone gets some impressive longevity data.

At 4000 miles my rear Metzeler Lazertec is showing its cords :eek: [I love the Griso!] So the consensus is the Mich Pilot 2? Is that a dual-compound (DC) sport-touring tire? Any tried and true DC options?

Thanks all.

Yes, Pilot Road 2 is a dual compound tire. FYI on my Norge, used mostly but by no means exclusively for touring, I got 7000 miles on the rear, & just about at 11000 & about to be replaced on the front. If you ride hard you may prefer a more sport dedicated tire, but you'll likely sacrafice miles, esp on the front, to get it. Oh, & both tires are/were just barely down to the wear bands, so I could have gotten more if need be.

And there is a new dual compound Michelin Pilot Pure out that is more advanced and should work even better.

GuzziMoto said:
And there is a new dual compound Michelin Pilot Pure out that is more advanced and should work even better.

"Better" than a Pilot Road 2 only if you wish to sacrafice mileage for stick. Not better for me, perhaps better for you. Pilot Road & Pilot Road 2 are classified as "Sport Touring" tires by Michelin, Pilot Power & Pure both single & dual compound versions as "Performance" tires.

Went for the Pilot Road 2 and looking forward to a bunch more uneventful miles than the Metzeler gave me! Seems 4000 miles is not so bad; the counter guy mentioned some have gotten as few as 2000. Thanks everyone.

I'm on my second set of RP2's and am very pleased with them. Two up touring and a bit of gentle scratching in the twisties I got 18,000 km from them and not much flat spotting on the centre strip.

I will put them on again when the time comes.

Robert

guzzibob said:
GuzziMoto said:

"Better" than a Pilot Road 2 only if you wish to sacrafice mileage for stick. Not better for me, perhaps better for you. Pilot Road & Pilot Road 2 are classified as "Sport Touring" tires by Michelin, Pilot Power & Pure both single & dual compound versions as "Performance" tires.
Better as in more advanced tire that will give you more grip, good mileage, and improved handling. Are they for everybody? No. But if you want any of those three things they may be worth considering.

With 60000k's on the clock ,I've tried a few different manufacturer's tyres, i.e the original Metzlers Z3's , Bridgestone Bt21's , Michelin Road 2 & pilot powers. Best combination has proved to be Pilot power on front (averaging about 11200ks) and Pilot Road two's on rear (average 10500ks). I've run that combination for a while now, its easy, two new tyres at the same time, admittedly I might be throwing a front tyre away with a 1000k's or so left, but who cares, saves on time having going to the local dealer (which is not so local). Last time I tried to get my favorite combination ,My local dealer said they couldn't source the Pilot road 2's and convinced my to run the new "pilot pures", Knowing I clock up a few miles I think they wanted some feed back quickly on milage achieved, handling etc.

Well here it is is summary , they should be known as "Michelian Pure Cr*p."

I have no doubt that they are not designed for a "heavy" bike like a Guzzi, let alone riding two up with abit of luggage for a fornight away. I ended up stopping 3 or 4 times on the way up to "sunny Queensland" (which is only 1500ks away)thinking I had a flat, which was not the case. These things must flex under weight, bloody scarey actually.

The return trip was just as bad, which ended up seeing us having to get a hire car home for the final leg of the journey.
Yes, had a little off, which saw me, the wife & bike, sliding up a wooden bridge in the middle of nowhere (Do I blame the tyres no, where they a contributing factor, who knows, Would I buy them again or recommend them to anyone _NO Way)
{actually sent a email to Michelin , a few months ago, about my experience and feeling about the new Pilot Pures (And I didn't even mention the fact that I'd hit the deck) did I get a response , course not - French Ostriches).

You'll be pleased to know Mr Roper worked his magic and I'm back on the road again, and the bikes shod with new rubber (Avon Storms this time , as he couldn't get the combination of Michelin , in the time frame,I desired. So we'll have to see how these go. Since picking up the bike a few weeks ago/2500k's ago the Avons have been working great.) at the end of their life, I 'll give a bit more feed back. (But like all tyre threads don't expect the same results as me, too many variables,i.e the weight of the fat barstard riding it , road surfaces, riding style etc etc.)

Fitted a pair of storms to the Norge about 1500 miles ago because previous tyres were letting go on wet country roads. Great so far but don't do much mileage in the way of straight roads so no real flat developing yet. Early days though. My feeling is that they won't last as long as some but you can't have it both ways. One point is that the rear rubs on the drive tunnel so had to be trimmed a little on the edge.

Back