• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Aux Fuel Tank

That tanks a nice piece of work.
I just wish Rotopax had a UK distributor, that would solve my problem!

We've made some more progress. We now have the supports mounted to the tank. This took a lot of effort as their positioning and size had to be precise. We just have the latch pin left to fabricate and mount. But the rest is looking pretty good! If you recall from a previous post, I'm using a short piece of 5/8" auto heater hose to cover the front mounting pins on the bike so they don't get scratched up by the tank's front brackets.

I still plan to have the tank coated, probably using some sort of "Line-X" type material to hide the welds. It'll be black to match the bike trim.

Here are some photos of the tank supports and what the tank looks like mounted on the bike. It does make for a nice backrest.

Attachments

• Tank1.jpg
    Tank1.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 1,157
  • Tank3.jpg
    Tank3.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 1,157
  • Tank4.jpg
    Tank4.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 1,156
Well gents, I have good news and bad news. First the good news.

We finished the tank tonight. I still want to get it coated, but the welder is done. The tank mounts into place just like the passenger seat. It snaps down and fits snug. All in all, a really nice piece of work.

The bad news? This thing COSTS MONEY!!! If one of you guys wanted one, it will cost you somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,500 just for the tank. That doesn't include any of the electronics, pump, valve, coating, hardware, shipping, etc.

If anyone out there has more money than brains, and feels they absolutely must have one of these works of art, let me know and we'll get you hooked up. Otherwise, I'd suggest waiting for Big Tex to finish his project and see how it turns out. Or visit tourtank.com and buy a 4-7 gallon keg tank for $199 or so and figure out the mounting on your own.

Happy Trails!!!!

Ray

P.S. I'll post pics of the final product once it's coated. And, just so you know, I'm just as happy to have a one-off tank design that won't be duplicated. :p

I've been following this post for awhile even though I don't own a Stelvio and first off let me say that is one nice job you did there. When it's coated it will look like a factory accessory piece.

I really like the look of the Stelvio and it may have been my next bike if it wasn't for the fuel range as it comes stock. Guzzi in typical Italian fashion put form ahead of function when designing the bike and put too small a tank on it. I'm sure a few who bought a BMW R1200gs may have looked at the Stelvio if it wasn't for the small tank. My current bike is a Norge and with it's 6.1 gallon tank I can go reliably between 250 and 275 miles between fill ups. I'm not saying that the small Stelvio tank is a deal breaker for me and an ABS model may be in my future at some point but if Guzzi had any sense they would have made the tank at least 7 gallons that way they would have one up on the BMW and would have sold a lot more of them.

Hey MG, if you read these forums here is my suggestion if you want to sell more of these things. Redesign the Stelvio tank to hold at least 7 gallons. Put the new tank on the 2011 model Stelvio and when redesigning it make sure it can be retrofitted on the older Stelvios and sell it as an accessory. Just my two cents......for what it's worth.

Do you have the tank coated yet? Love to see a photo of the finished article.

I don't have the finished product yet. It's at the paint shop and should be done by the end of this week. I'll post pics this weekend if I get the chance.

Ray

The tank is done. The finish is on. The gas is in. I'm ready to go!!!!!!

This project has finally come to an end. While it has taken a large amount of time as well as $$$, I'm happy with the results.

Here are some pics of the final product. I hope to see you all out on the road sometime. And if you're out of gas, maybe I can help! ;)

Attachments

• Finished Tank 1.jpg
    Finished Tank 1.jpg
    693.2 KB · Views: 832
  • Finished Tank 2.jpg
    Finished Tank 2.jpg
    742.5 KB · Views: 832
  • Finished Tank 3.jpg
    Finished Tank 3.jpg
    637.6 KB · Views: 832
  • Finished Tank 4.jpg
    Finished Tank 4.jpg
    626.6 KB · Views: 832
Very nice job. Is the finish on the tank rolled on rubberized truck bed liner?

It was sprayed on. And I think it's called something like "Gator Guard". It's an epoxy bed liner material.

I've already put some miles on it, and the plumbing works great. When the low fuel light comes on, I simply flip the switch and the fuel transfers for 5 minutes. One 5 minute cycle gets the main tank about 1/2 full. It takes 4 cycles to empty the aux tank.

I don't really notice that it effects handling at all. And it makes for a nice back rest on those longer rides. I will, however, add some sort of pad there at some point.

Ray R said:
I don't really notice that it effects handling at all. And it makes for a nice back rest on those longer rides. I will, however, add some sort of pad there at some point.
I was searching for tank bags and fell upon this site where they custom make covers for all sorts of accessories:
http://www.customtankbags.com/galleryaux.htm

As an idea .....?

aux02-concours.jpg

aux13.jpg

They stole our idea!!!! :lol:

I wonder what it will cost. I took a quick view of that thread, and it seemed to be all concept at this point.

Back