• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Aftermarket Seat

pnguzzi

Cruisin' Guzzisti
OK :eek: i've just about had it or should I say my rear has just about had it with the stock seat! The slope and flat profile is murderes :evil:
Has anyone out there had their seat professionally rebuilt or found an aftermarket seat? Corbin and the other big boys don't make one! Is there a Euro manufacturer?
If so to any of the above, please post pictures or info.
Smiles

A sheepskin seat cover has been working ok for me.

Sargeant Seats will also do a custom mod to make the seat more level.

There are plenty of aftermarket manufactures, I personally like the Russell Day Long seat, they are pricey but my Swedish Grandmother use to say "you get what you pay for young man." I have 247K on one I had made in 2000, it has been recovered once.

There are others as well, look in the back of any good m/c magazine like Rider, etc. If I read your profile correctly your in California, most of the aftermarket people reside on the left coast. Russell has a drive in, same day service as well, you need a appointment for that.

Maybe if we could get enough interest we could do a group buy (doesn't need to be a Guzzi) that's how I have gotten my two seats made, saves you 10% - 15%. Usually they do it in the winter time, you book and leave a deposit before Xmas and send you seat in after the holidays.

Good Luck ;)

The best seat money can buy in my opinion is a Russell Day-Long Saddle from Shasta Lake in Northern California.
I have had 2 built and they guarantee if they cannot satisfy you they will buy the seat back !

I am not in any way related and have no interest. I did utilize the buy back when I could not get comfortable on a BMW seat they built for me. They did as promised. The one for my V-Strom was wonderful. May have them built one for my 07 Norge.

I have been extremely happy with my custom Stelvio saddle from Bill Mayer Saddles: http://billmayersaddles.com/BMS/Home.html

seat002.jpg

seat001.jpg

seat003.jpg

Nice seat! How long did it take to have that done? Also, what was the cost; around $5-600?

I've tried the sheepskin and the beads, no joy. I'm thinking I may go over to Bill Mayers this winter and have one made. Yours looks really good Tex, any tips?

Great looking seat!
would you be wiling answer a few questions? :oops: :
1. was the seat leveled and if so did it raise the seat?
2. was the rear seat improved?
3. was it a complete refoam job?
4. from a scale from 1 to 10 (the original seat being a 1 and your favorite lazy chair being a 10) would you rate your new seat?
5. any tips that you might give in regards to the rebuild?

I have been looking at the Russel "day-long" seat, but I am concerned that it will raise the seat to much... and is not really the pretiest thing in the world, but it gets rave reviews. Shame ruining those pretty lines :D

Thanks in advance :lol:

1. Price was $399 US plus another $30 to recover the pillion. Turn around including non-priority mailing was 2 weeks.

2. It was a complete rebuild, fancy foam shaped to my needs on the existing pan and new material.

3. I didn't do the drive-in, but I spent a good 30 minutes with the sales rep at the 2009 MG meet where he had a booth set up. Took pictures, talked about likes and dislikes, talked about options - thus he had a file built up for when I called in and pulled the trigger on the deal.

4. The primary goal was to eliminate the slide-forward, secondary was to widen a bit (fat ass) and provide more support, and incidental was to knock off the bump at the front of the pillion seat which was bumping up against me and prevented the occasional scoot and stretch maneuver during long rides.

4. Result is a happy butt. No forward slide, very pleased with the build quality, looks good. It did raise the seat height a tad, but I'm a big guy and one foot flat is enough for me (seat is on the higher setting fore and aft). Looks perfectly stock until you compare.

5. Just did a 600 mile Saturday, 7 mountain passes each over 10,000 feet. No complaints from down below. I'm happy.

I had this done by a guy local to me, cost me £140 including a gel pad fitted.

Not much padding left but I've got the sheepskin for long hauls.
seat.jpg

I'd like to get that same setup. If I tell them I want the seat they made for "Big Tex" will they know who I'm referring to?

guzziben47 said:
I'd like to get that same setup. If I tell them I want the seat they made for "Big Tex" will they know who I'm referring to?

Hah! I doubt they know that name, but I think we can safely say they haven't done a HUGE number of Stelvios. :lol:

Just sent mine to Jax for a sargent upgrade. Super cell front and back - dish front. Should be back in two weeks. They've quoted 265 for the work. I'll post pix when it comes back. :evil:

Boy, this is a timely topic for me right now - just returned from a trip to Indianapolis for the Moto GP, 600-700 miles X 2 coming and going from Texas. After about 200 miles on day one, I found myself squirming, after 300, I stopped and got out my Airhawk, after 500, I swapped for a sheepskin. Nothing really helped, and days 2-4 were even worse. The downward slope seems to be the biggest culprit, although I've heard of folks who put the front of the seat in the high position and the rear in the low. I did that with success on my old Tiger, but if I try it on the Stelvio, the front doesn't really "catch" in the brackets, plus there's a big gap between the seat and tank.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on anything that will make longer rides more tolerable, so this info is very helpful. BigTex's 'Bill Mayer' modified version looks great, and doesn't destroy the bike's lines. I've always heard the Russells were the best of the best, but haven't seen one on a Stelvio or something comparable - most I've encountered have that Gold Wing look, and I couldn't do that to my beauty. Anyone have a Russell that could share pics? Or any other options that haven't been listed yet? Anyone sent one off and weren't pleased with the result, or discovered something else that should have been tweaked to make it just right?

Keep it coming, I'm on the edge of my seat in anticipation (literally, still feeling the after effects!) :whistle:

FrostedFlake said:
Boy, this is a timely topic for me right now - just returned from a trip to Indianapolis for the Moto GP, 600-700 miles X 2 coming and going from Texas. After about 200 miles on day one, I found myself squirming, after 300, I stopped and got out my Airhawk, after 500, I swapped for a sheepskin. Nothing really helped, and days 2-4 were even worse. The downward slope seems to be the biggest culprit, although I've heard of folks who put the front of the seat in the high position and the rear in the low. I did that with success on my old Tiger, but if I try it on the Stelvio, the front doesn't really "catch" in the brackets, plus there's a big gap between the seat and tank.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on anything that will make longer rides more tolerable, so this info is very helpful. BigTex's 'Bill Mayer' modified version looks great, and doesn't destroy the bike's lines. I've always heard the Russells were the best of the best, but haven't seen one on a Stelvio or something comparable - most I've encountered have that Gold Wing look, and I couldn't do that to my beauty. Anyone have a Russell that could share pics? Or any other options that haven't been listed yet? Anyone sent one off and weren't pleased with the result, or discovered something else that should have been tweaked to make it just right?

Keep it coming, I'm on the edge of my seat in anticipation (literally, still feeling the after effects!) :whistle:

I have a Russell on my Kawasaki Concours has over 148K on it and it needs recovering (black velour) and I love the seat, wife liked it so much I got her's done as well. There pricey but worth the $$$ IMHO. I will try to post a pic this weekend.

:D If you can wait till after Oct. 8th I will post pictures of the Russel "Day Long Seat" I'm heading up there to get the one day fitting! :laugh:

I'd love to see a Russel build. Though what "Big Tex" posted would fit my needs exactly I think.

Just rode Winnipeg to Vancouver in 2.5 days (2400 Km) and, despite constantly shifting positions, technical underwear, an Alaska leather pad and decent leather pants, the end of each day was sheer torture...

To be fair, I survived. If I'd tried that trip on my R1200S, I'd have to be hospitalized.

I'm on the list for a group-buy discount at Russell, orders to be submitted starting tomorrow. I'm still on the fence though between Russell and the Bill Mayer version that Tex has. The Mayer has the looks I want, and I know they make a quality product. The Russell has a cult following, and I'm guessing for good reason. Problem is, I still haven't seen a Russell that I think would do justice to the Stelvio's appearance. Price on the Russell would actually be cheaper, but no real ETA on when my order would be done because of the group buy process. Tough call!

Anyone else taken the plunge since this thread cooled down?

Back