• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

trade GSA for Stelvio?? What updates needed.

AV8OR

Just got it firing!
Im throwing the idea around of trading in my 07 GSA on a 09 Stelvio with the current incentives. Anybody think this is a dumb idea?

If I go with the purchase what things must the dealer update in order to make it a better bike? Im talking fuel maps, recalls ect...

Any other info would be great

I have an '09 Stelvio and I love it. A few differences that I can identify that may be an issue for you (or may not, depending on your riding application):

1) Clutch pull on the Stelvio is quite a bit heavier than the BMW

2) The Stelvio gas tank is about half the size of the GSA tank

3) The Stelvio has a 5.5" rear wheel which makes it challenging (if not impossible) to find an aggressive tire for non-asphalt riding

On the other hand, the stock Stelvio muffler sounds 10x better than the stock GS muffler!

The Stelvio is only in it's third year and BMW sells probably 30-40 R1200GS's for every Stelvio that is sold, so the R1200GS aftermarket accessory market is obviously more developed than for the Stelvio. That being said, you can get some nice, high quality accessories such as an aluminum sump guard, windscreens, crash bars, etc. and the selection will improve as the bike ages.

On the downside, Guzzi dealerships are no where near as widespread as BMW Motorrad dealerships, and I can attest that some Guzzi dealers are better than others. This is somewhat mitigated as the Stelvio is a simple bike to work on and has strong online support via this forum.

Cory

A good pal of mine has recently traded his 2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure for a Stelvio. He's loving it, has no regrets in making the change, although there was nothing wrong with his GS, like me he was getting bored with it after six years and had always fancied a Moto Guzzi. The Stelvio fitted the bill exactly.
I have a May 2009 model, I've covered 5500 miles now, apart from a speedo sensor failure and a misfire (cured by fitting NGK plug caps) it has been reliable, it could do with another 4 or 5 litres in the fuel tank though.

AV8OR said:
Im throwing the idea around of trading in my 07 GSA on a 09 Stelvio with the current incentives. Anybody think this is a dumb idea?

If I go with the purchase what things must the dealer update in order to make it a better bike? Im talking fuel maps, recalls ect...

Any other info would be great

Just make sure any required recalls/updates (cam, maybe map see: https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/160/2564.html )have been performed before you pick it up. Also have a go at installing the NGK plug caps to ward off any future electrical gremlins. You will see plenty of information on the caps in this forum.

AV8OR, once you get past the niggles, you'll love it. I second what John Z stated above, and in addition I'll also add that most of them have the bubbling paint issue near the filler neck, and have (or will) snap the forks at the pinch bolts at the axle. All are warrantee-able fixes, just frustrating. Also, be sure to search the "tip valve" and evaporative emissions (can).
Find/use a good dealer, and/or buy the VDST sold here, and I also offer fueling package upgrades as well as intake and exhaust options. Once you get it how you want it, you won't want to get off of it.

Welcome (in advance) to the Guzzi Famiglia!

GT-Rx said:
AV8OR, once you get past the niggles, you'll love it. I second what John Z stated above, and in addition I'll also add that most of them have the bubbling paint issue near the filler neck, and have (or will) snap the forks at the pinch bolts at the axle. All are warrantee-able fixes, just frustrating. Also, be sure to search the "tip valve" and evaporative emissions (can).
Find/use a good dealer, and/or buy the VDST sold here, and I also offer fueling package upgrades as well as intake and exhaust options. Once you get it how you want it, you won't want to get off of it.

Welcome (in advance) to the Guzzi Famiglia!

Todd, did you really mean to say "most of [the Stelvios] . . . have (or will) snap the forks at the pinch bolts at the axle"? Are you saying I have my forks snapping to look forward to? Has anyone had the forks snap while driving?

guzziben47 said:
Todd, did you really mean to say "most of [the Stelvios] . . . have (or will) snap the forks at the pinch bolts at the axle"? Are you saying I have my forks snapping to look forward to? Has anyone had the forks snap while driving?
Ben no failures while riding, almost impossible I would say... and I should have made it clear that I was referring to '09's only.

Great! That's what I have: an 09. I got the tipover valve out before the paint bubbling got noticeable. I guess I have the forks snapping to look forward to next. We should just call the 2008's and 2009's what the are: PROTOTYPES (ver. 1 and ver. 2).

Is there a fix for the fork snapping (i.e. do they install a stronger fork when you bring it in under warranty)?

The right side fork on my 09 was cracked/snapped at the pinch bolt area. Replaced under warranty. Looking back, I think mine was like that when I picked it up from the dealership. I then rode it about 1000 miles from Ohio back to Florida. Not until I was washing it later did I even notice the crack.

I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that yours will snap/crack. Be careful about over tightening those pinch bolts when changing the front tire and maybe you'll never have an issue.

Is there a time frame/mileage when this fault manifests itself? Surely if the bolts are not overtightened it will not happen, as it can't be occurring on every Stelvio, as MG would have to issue a recall . :?:

Would it make sense to loosen the pinch bolts, and then torque them to spec?

fatal said:
Is there a time frame/mileage when this fault manifests itself? Surely if the bolts are not overtightened it will not happen, as it can't be occurring on every Stelvio, as MG would have to issue a recall . :?:

It SEEMS most have happened early on. It was certainly recognized as a problem by Guzzi as the 2010 models I believe have a redesigned pinch bolt area using pinch bolts with a smaller head and leaving more material in that area to prevent the snapping/cracking.

I am just going to be sure when I change my front tire I remove/replace it myself and take good care in not over tightening.

I just went out and checked mine, and they are o.k. 10NM is not very tight; it's just snugging the bolts. And it's hard to judge. I guess you don't completely close the clamp. After torquing to that value, there is still a 1/8" or so gap.

Anyway, I also checked my speedo sensor a while ago, and mine looks like a slightly different design than the one's that have problems.

So maybe some of these issues were addressed on some of the 2009 bikes....

Thanks guys! Im gonan try and get a demo ride in and see what the deal is.

Back