• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Getting to Aux fusebox - stranded.

Flay

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello all, new owner of a Stelvio running it back across Canada from it's "transfer point" in Winnipeg. Unfortunately, I'm stuck in Medicine Hat with a Stelvio that will not start. It "lights up" but when I try to start it, the dash goes out and I get a clicking sound coming from the general location of the aux fusebox up there in the right fairing.

Besides asking "where should I start" (the battery and it's charge are confirmed as fine), can someone point me to a description of how to get to said box of fuses. I'm having one hell of a time removing the right-side fairing to check them!

Limited toolkit and I'm working on a motel's sidewalk (they've been great about getting me out of the rain).

It's always an adventure.

Any help appreciated!

I'm not a mechanic, but if it were me, I'd first make sure it's nothing obvious. So put the bike in neutral, lift up the kickstand, make sure the kill switch isn't on, etc.

The manual posted on this forum has a helpful section on troubleshooting electrical problems, so I'd take a look at that, especially if you have time to kill.

If you are in the rain, water may be causing a short somewhere, so the problem may also resolve itself when things dry out.

I'd also try getting to the fusebox from inside the fairing, if you can fit your hand in there by moving the handlebars to one side.

There are guys this list who know much more than me, and they will be able to guide you through this. My experience has been that a lot more people log on in the evening. So if you can't figure it out, take a break, get something to eat and maybe read through the manual (I'd smoke a cigar, but that's just me). It may take a little time, but I bet you're back on the road shortly....

P.S. I was once stranded in Mexican Hat, Arizona. Same thing (bike wouldn't start); different bike (BMW K1100). Turned out water had rusted one of the ground connections, and that was screwing up the whole electrical system. Anyway, at least you found a hotel; if there is anything in Mexican Hat other than a big rock shaped like a mexican hat, I coudn't find it!

Though I'm not entirely sure I've cured the actual problem, I finally enlisted the help of a someone with smaller hands to reach in there. All fuses were fine but it looks like one had unseated, because now it runs!

At least I know I don't need to remove the fairing if I'm carrying neednose pliers (or somebody small). Off to buy some and get back on the road!

Just got in the door. While that solution worked the first time, I tried connecting my heated vest lead to the battery again and the same thing happened. Guzzi no start. Removed the lead, Guzzi no start. Install the lead again but reseat the lead's own fuse, and the bike roars to life.

I don't begin to understand the why, but it stopped me freezing in small town Alberta :). Now I'm home I'll try to figure out what's going on. The bike gets upset when I connect a wire to the battery, and stays upset when it's removed. Scratching my head here.

Otherwise the bike was a champ. Roaring over many mountain passes on it's way back to Vancouver.

Sleep. In my own bed. Happy.

Glad you got home safe!

The way your explaining the problem sound like the heated vest is drawing too much current.
When you say "Connecting my heated vest lead to the battery" do you mean the socket near the tool box pocket?
This socket has a wattage limit and is also in connection with the 1)Instrument Panel, 2)Ignition Switch and 3)Antitheft device.

When you reseat the lead's own fuse seems to me you are resetting one or all three items above.

This may be obvious, but have you made sure the leads to the battery itself are snug and routed out of harms way? Stock, they're routed between the battery and frame and looked like they could eventually wear through and cause a short.

I think there is another thread on this issue somewhere here.

I was just connecting the vest's lead to the battery directly. No vest attached. It was weird and, besides my "reseating" the cable's inline fuse the second time, nothing was different from when it would not start. The bike just appeared to become "upset" and a loud buzzing sound would emanate from the aux fusebox. It wasn't until I reseated the fuses in the aux box that the bike would start, even with the vest lead detached.

To be fair, there was a LOT of rain involved the entire day. Might have something to do with it.

It all works fine now but I'll take a look at the battery wire routing as suggested in another post, thanks!

Christopher

DanPez said:
Glad you got home safe!

The way your explaining the problem sound like the heated vest is drawing too much current.
When you say "Connecting my heated vest lead to the battery" do you mean the socket near the tool box pocket?
This socket has a wattage limit and is also in connection with the 1)Instrument Panel, 2)Ignition Switch and 3)Antitheft device.

When you reseat the lead's own fuse seems to me you are resetting one or all three items above.

Christopher, I'm just catching this now... quite an adventure. So I first thought that the ground/earth to the engine block (hidden under the engine cover on the left side of the bike) that gets grounds by the tiny stud above the starter. However, your vest to the battery makes me believe that the ECU might be seeing <10.7V and not allowing the bike to start. If removing it makes no difference, see above. There should be NO reason any of the fuses should unseat.

For what it's worth..........

I have found that when I add farkles without adding a additional fusebox and start stacking wires under the positive and negative leads of the battery sometimes the bolt is not long enough to reach the attachement nut and it only grabs one thread. I always tighten until I feel it snugging up and then quit (I have this thing from ringing off bolts) just learned to snug. Anyhow with the vibration of the bike the bolt loosens and the bike quits.........don't ask me how many times this has happened :x before I figured out the problem.

Learned to purchase longer bolts for the battery until the time I get around to installing an additional fuse box.

Back