• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Handling issues

fatal

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Does anyone have any issues with the overall handling and general feel of their Stelvio. I've just been reading on another forum (non moto guzzi) about some bloke who was talking to a motorcycle patrol cop who had a loan Stelvio for appraisal. Apparently this cop didn't like the handling, he said 'it was all over the place' and was glad to give it back.

Admiitedly when I first got my Stelvio the handling was far from perfect, but then I am a big lardy bugger weighing just on 18stone (relaxed muscle), I checked the tyre pressures (36psi ft; and 42psi rear) I just spent a few minutes adjusting the suspension settings back and front (set to Mr Bat fastard as per the handbook) the transformation was fantastic.

I ride the bike on good mixture of various roads, I'm well able to turn up the volume and cook on gas when I need to, I haven't had any nervous moments with it; it makes me wonder what people expect from such a large motorcycle. I rate my Stelvio as being as competent as my previous GS1150, with perhaps more feel to it, although with a bit of fork dive compared to the GS tele lever front end. Ok so it's not as nimble as my previous Aprilia Tuono factory, but I do think the Stelvio is a very competent machine and I don't feel the need to change the shocks over to Ohlins just yet.

IMHO the Stelvio is one of the most competent handling, braking, accelerating, corner, etc. etc. of any of the bikes I have ridden in decades. Paved and gravel roads.
In fact, I prefer it to the GS because the GS deadens the front end feedback so much, but the GS has less dive of course.
I have to admit that the current tire combination that I have is a little lacking. Maybe he had a poor tire combo or bad suspension setup, or he was just an idiot.

Wayne Orwig said:
IMHO the Stelvio is one of the most competent handling, braking, accelerating, corner, etc. etc. of any of the bikes I have ridden in decades. Paved and gravel roads.
In fact, I prefer it to the GS because the GS deadens the front end feedback so much, but the GS has less dive of course.
I have to admit that the current tire combination that I have is a little lacking. Maybe he had a poor tire combo or bad suspension setup, or he was just an idiot.

I vote for the bolded part ;) I agree with Wayne. I have always thought the Stelvio holds a line very well, turns in quickly and handles extremely well when I turn up the wick. It doesn't get upset either when I am running along at relatively high speeds on curves and hit frost heave/expansion joint bumps. Really a nice-handling bike IMO.

cgalardi said:
Wayne Orwig said:

I vote for the bolded part ;) I agree with Wayne. I have always thought the Stelvio holds a line very well, turns in quickly and handles extremely well when I turn up the wick. It doesn't get upset either when I am running along at relatively high speeds on curves and hit frost heave/expansion joint bumps. Really a nice-handling bike IMO.

+2 on that in my opinion, guys. I think the Stelvio is a really sweet handling ride. Very, very stable. No complaints here.

Bruce

Chances are some motorcycle patrol cop rides a laden up hogster at work and has some sort of hideous chrome barge he rides at the weekend and wouldn't even begin to understand a bike like a Stelvio.

+3 for idiot.

Pete

pete roper said:
Chances are some motorcycle patrol cop rides a laden up hogster at work and has some sort of hideous chrome barge he rides at the weekend and wouldn't even begin to understand a bike like a Stelvio.

+3 for idiot.

Pete

You sure have a way with words Pete. :lol:

pete roper said:

+3 for idiot.

Pete

I don't know about that Pete, most of the motorcycle cops I know here in Blighty are pretty quick riders, and many of them ride sports bikes or adventure style bikes (GS's, Tigers etc)

But yes he could be the odd one out and be a complete idiot.

I'm perfecty happy with my Stelvio, but belive most motor cops are very good riders (My homicide detective buddy say's they're worthless otherwise). I've found that if I whack a handlebar when cruising, there's a pretty significant amount of movement with no response from the chassis. I assume it's the long fork flexing.

Feel completely at ease with the Stelvio handling, a joy to ride!

I think it handles very good. No quirkiness or surprises.

Changing from the wide rim to the NTX did make a difference though... falls in much quicker... but still real linear so its all good. :D

Handling is a Stelvio strongpoint. Surprsingly flickable in the corners; dead steady on the highway. Braking is another strong point. I don't know how you could find fault with either....

A Stelvio even with bone-stock suspension is one of the best riding motorcycles on the road today. Turns in superbly and tracks a line like a laser beam. With the front and rear both fully adjustable sorting is just a matter of preference. The owners manual has a section on this.

I agree with all the "great" qualities of the bike as well as the proficiency of most Motor cops. Likely a poorly set up demo bike like so many folks looking to buy are warned about (sorting prior to testing).

For me one of the reasons I'm keeping the Stelvio is because of the handling!
At 5'11" and weighing ..... well weighing abit over the norm :whistle: ..... and face it it not ment to be use on the track either but compared to the previous bike I owned (R1100RS) I find the motor response, suspension adjustments, handle bar height / distance are perfect.
Mind you it took a while to get use to the bike, higher center of gravity .... almost 2.5" higher clearance than the beemer .... and 30 odd pounds extra but now being at ease with the leaning, weight shifting and steering response I find it handles great!

Just had the rear suspension fettled by a magician mechanic in Worcester (UK, not US) who is a Stelvio-owning ex-racer gone to seed (18 stone) with a cute girlfriend (7 stone), identical to my weight and my constant pillion, my disabled daughter!. Cranked up the rear damping, raised the spring by 7mm. Sooooo much better. The pic is pre-fettle. The thing rides about 1-1/2" higher at the rear now.

And made more so by having blagged a ride on my mate's 1050 Triumph Tiger immediately after. Faster (much), smoother (silky), but everything was so neutral, so soul-lessly efficient. I've come from 3 Triumphs to the Guzzi and in comparison, the Stelvio handles better, has more road 'presence' as I call it, character in every nut, bolt and rivet, and I'll never go back.

About to renew the front Pirelli after 7500, and half way through my second rear.

Attachments

• barnjess (11)s.JPG
    barnjess (11)s.JPG
    314.6 KB · Views: 349
Your daughter seems perfectly able to me. She's wearing the right gear. Her feet are on the pillion pegs. She's leaning into the corner instead of fighting against you. She's wearing the big grin that comes with motorcycling. Yep, perfectly able. ;) I'll bet there's some guys on this board who wish their wives/so's were so able.

Ray R said:
Your daughter seems perfectly able to me. She's wearing the right gear. She's leaning into the corner instead of fighting against you. She's wearing the big grin that comes with motorcycling. Yep, perfectly able. ;)

Well said, Ray! :)

Bruce

We were on one for 2 weeks in Italy, two up with a ton of camping gear and worked the hell out of it on the Stelvio Pass and the Ballabio/Resinelli road and the thing was spotless.

The guy is obviously a few sandwiches shy of a picnic.

Maybe the tires were flat. :lol:

Back