• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

How to fix the sidestand?

3ackok

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Many people encounter lose sidestand bolts. I tightened them twice already, trying to clean the threads and applying Loctite, and they still getting lose. Is there a permanent solution?

Degrease the hole and the bolt, use red thread locker. You could always safety wire the sucker in place.

I decreased as well as I could manage and used blue Loctite. Safety wire will not work- one bolt is flat, the other one is hidden.

Maybe thats the problem? You have old dry thread locker in there?
I would also use the red thread locker, it is much stronger.

If you use the red (271) if you ever want to take it off, you would need to heat the nut and bolt with a gas torch to remove it. The 271 formula is pretty stout, I only use it where I never want it to come apart again.

My problem could be caused by greasy dirt on the threads. I tried to clean, but the access is limited. Probably the grease affects adhesion of Loctite. Split washers could be the best bet.

Apologize for hijacking the topic. I want to check the side stand bolt of my Griso possibly take some preventive measure to apply some thread locker.

Are we talking about part 12,13 and 14 in the diagram?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Phang

sidestand.jpg

Phang, no, it would be #10 & 11 on the Griso.

Thanks Todd, I thought it was a stupid question but now I am glad that I asked :whistle:

This is my 1st post. I bought an 07 Norge this winter. On the first ride, one of the centerstand bolts fell off, so I took the whole thing off. After my last ride, the side stand is now dangling, but holds the bike up. I thought I could get a replacement bolt but I don't see where, and the parts schematic only shows 1 (a #20). I now know to regularly check stand bolts. What am I missing with the side stand??? The attached picture was taken last Wednesday - side stand still OK , and yes this was WORK!
Don Tarinelli

Attachments

• 2010_09150008.JPG
    2010_09150008.JPG
    452.8 KB · Views: 544
Someone please confirm this:
The side stand on my Norge has about 3" of play. Once I took off the lower fairings, I found a loose (about 8mm) allen screw that holds the plate to the engine case. It is behind the exhaust, and any allen key I can locate does not fit in the space between the exhaust and crank case. (A normal wrench would slide into that space if the there was a normal bolt.) To take off the exhaust, you have to take off the upper fairings, and according to Norge Body Work Disassembly take off the dash and windshield - all new territory.
My main mechanical skill is breaking things, and there is alot I can break just to get to something I can fix. I am hoping someone will tell me I am wrong, because the weather is perfect and I'd prefer to ride - but if it gets much looser no more stand & its too big a bike to be leaning it up against trees.

Don Tarinelli said:
I found a loose (about 8mm) allen screw that holds the plate to the engine case. It is behind the exhaust, and any allen key I can locate does not fit in the space between the exhaust and crank case. (A normal wrench would slide into that space if the there was a normal bolt.) To take off the exhaust, you have to take off the upper fairings, and according to Norge Body Work Disassembly take off the dash and windshield

My buddy had the same loose bolt on his Breva. What I did was to cut off a piece of a allen wrench short enough to squeeze in behind the exhaust pipe and long enough for a box wrench to fit. It has worked so far but he plans on torquing it down next time the pipes are off. I suppose using penetrating thread locker may have been wise but the threads are probably dirty anyway. Not 100% certain, don't have a Norge, but the dash should not have to come off. And the lowers should come off independently.

Loose stand bolts has happed a couple of times on my Breva, I found the side stand plate loose and had no problem tightening it because the previous owner had replace the socket head bolt with a hex head and an extra thick washer to get the head above the bolt well. Doesn't look as slick but it's easier to deal with.

Other loose bolts: I had not realized that my left center stand bolt had fallen off on a road trip so when I placed the bike on the centerstand it began to collapse and had to use a car jack to hold it up till the parts came in. My SP got some use; lucky her. Used blue thread locker. MG wanted $11 for the bolt but it just happen to be the same bolt as used for mounting the SP front rotor. The bolt purchased at a hardware supplier is about $0.75.

The parts illustrations for both the Breva and Norge are missing the bolt that holds on the sidestand plate. If #20 is the correct bolt then it is aligned to the wrong hole; that hole is intended for the catalytic converter support bolt.

good luck.

Rafeal
How did you cut the allen wrench? I tried that using a metal blade on my jig saw, but it did not cut, & I gave up. New blade and keep at it? or did you do so do some thing different?
Thanks

Forgot that detail... I used a 4" hand grinder with a metal cutting wheel. Held both by hand and used a vise grip to hold the allen. I've started a collection of home made tools... Can't remember where I put that one, I'll go look for it, verify the size and post it. You might want to try that penetrating type of LocTite before torquing. Also, I used a pipe to improve leverage on the small box wrench.

It's an 8mm allen about 9mm long. You can try to go a little longer but it may not fit. Try the turn the button head in as far as possible before inserting the allen. I also cut it at a slight angle to accommodate the curvature of the header pipe. Used spline grease to keep it from falling out of the closed end of the box wrench.

I've got the same issue with the side stand and have also lost a center stand bolt.

Does anyone have a parts diagram for an '08 Norge they can share? I'd really like to see weather or not MG intended for there to be one or two bolts holding the side stand plate to the block.

Additionally, a previous post in this thread indicated there was a tech bulletin on this issue? does anyone have a copy?

thanks,
Kurt

mg_sparky said:
I've got the same issue with the side stand and have also lost a center stand bolt.

Does anyone have a parts diagram for an '08 Norge they can share? I'd really like to see weather or not MG intended for there to be one or two bolts holding the side stand plate to the block.

Additionally, a previous post in this thread indicated there was a tech bulletin on this issue? does anyone have a copy?

thanks,
Kurt

The parts manual you seek is in the download section of this site. https://www.guzzitech.com/downloads/ca ... -1200.html

They must have changed the design of that bracket, because the one on my 2007 Griso 1100 looks totally different.

One of the bolts is still behind the exhaust pipes, although you can get an open end on it from the front.

The other two (yep, I got three of 'em) are just accessible from the side.

Apparently, YMMV. >8]

-Jack

Don Tarinelli said:
This is my 1st post. I bought an 07 Norge this winter. On the first ride, one of the centerstand bolts fell off, so I took the whole thing off. After my last ride, the side stand is now dangling, but holds the bike up. I thought I could get a replacement bolt but I don't see where, and the parts schematic only shows 1 (a #20). I now know to regularly check stand bolts. What am I missing with the side stand??? The attached picture was taken last Wednesday - side stand still OK , and yes this was WORK!
Don Tarinelli

that looks like the ferry to Gillette Castle....

anyway, mine came loose too.
I found I had to pull the header off on the left side to get at the bolt. i thought it was gone, but it was just loose.
red Loctite and it seems to have been good so far!

do you hang with any of the New England Guzzi guys?

Going back to this old thread, I tightened mine up yesterday, having never really noticed it before, but the sidestand is still not 'solid'. I'm quite surprised to see there is only one bolt holding it in place.
Is that correct?
It looks like there should be a long bolt going through the bottom rear engine mount to bolt it up, but there is no bolt there. Should there be one there? If not, why is it such a poor design with one bolt holding the side stand?

Back