• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Noise source found

Wayne Orwig said:

Wayne,

Nice shot, I have successfully ground the feet off of each side of my center stand and had new feet welded back on. The rear suspension on these bikes really suck and no one has a proven replacement rear shock. I had my dealer check with Moma Guzzi and they will not warranty my shock either. Right now running two up my headlight beam is looking at the tree tops, ti's great for Coon huntin, not much for driving though.

Wayne Orwig said:
The damping isn't too bad, so all I need is a healthier spring.

All I know is that I have the knob cranked way beyond 27 clicks / turns (that's what the manual states) and I guess I have the rebound (little screw on the bottom of the shock) turned as far as I can turn it counter clock wise.

Any little bump in the road the bike bottoms out with a hard "thud" and jars the hell out of your spine and springs back really quickly and will lauch you off the seat. The roads in DC are crap and the 4 miles I travel in town are very painfull after riding the super slab.

On the way home in the evening there is a rolling bump just before I hit the express lanes and I can launch the wife a good 12" off the seat, she claims it's better than a ride at a amzusement park ride, but when we both land again we get the "THUD", bang, etc.

Yes the spring is an issue (it is way too soft), but it's more than the spring in my opinion, the rebound and damping are not even close for the type / style of riding that I do.

My Kawasaki Concours was the same way, Progressive had a aftermarket shock for the bike, I purchaed one and it was 100% better than stck stock but still not right for our size / weight and the junk we carry. A bunch of us in the Concours Owners Group ask Proggrevise to re-visit their design. They came up with the "Fat Bastard" for us big boned riders, I need to clone that shock and install it on the Stelvio. I have yet to bottom out that shock or launch the wife, it's like riding in a Lazy-Boy.

I think you need to check again on the adjustments. When I got my bike from the dealer, I had the same bottoming out experience. Turns out I think he thought a click was a revolution of the adjust, when in fact the clicks are small detents(about ten per rev) which you have pay attention to feel, because you won't hear clicks. By the way, I don't know if his awas the first Stelvio to do the dragon, but it wasn't the last! http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=04RK01A3000513&po=513&pc=1131

beezer said:
By the way, I don't know if his awas the first Stelvio to do the dragon, but it wasn't the last!

Actually, my photo was from the Cherohala.

I haven't ridden the 'Gap' for a year or two. Too many squids up there have turned it into a carnival.
And there is this stuff in the area which I prefer, like this gravel road.

TellicoRd.jpg

Wayne Orwig said:
beezer said:
By the way, I don't know if his awas the first Stelvio to do the dragon, but it wasn't the last!

Actually, my photo was from the Cherohala.

I haven't ridden the 'Gap' for a year or two. Too many squids up there have turned it into a carnival.
And there is this stuff in the area which I prefer, like this gravel road.

TellicoRd.jpg

There's a road in there somewhere? :D

Bruce

kwn306 said:
The rear suspension on these bikes really suck and no one has a proven replacement rear shock.
First Wayne, thanks for the photo post, nice. To expand on above, Kurt, I have both the YSS (now proven) and Penske available. I have the fully adjustable YSS on my Stelvio now for ~1 month, and its superior to the stock shock in every way (I'll post about it tonight). I will be installing very first Penske on a Stelvio in the next week or so. I'll post an update under separate thread when it's on and "tested."

kwn306 said:
Wayne Orwig said:
The damping isn't too bad, so all I need is a healthier spring.

All I know is that I have the knob cranked way beyond 27 clicks / turns (that's what the manual states) and I guess I have the rebound (little screw on the bottom of the shock) turned as far as I can turn it counter clock wise.

Any little bump in the road the bike bottoms out with a hard "thud" and jars the hell out of your spine and springs back really quickly and will lauch you off the seat. The roads in DC are crap and the 4 miles I travel in town are very painfull after riding the super slab.

On the way home in the evening there is a rolling bump just before I hit the express lanes and I can launch the wife a good 12" off the seat, she claims it's better than a ride at a amzusement park ride, but when we both land again we get the "THUD", bang, etc.

Yes the spring is an issue (it is way too soft), but it's more than the spring in my opinion, the rebound and damping are not even close for the type / style of riding that I do.

My Kawasaki Concours was the same way, Progressive had a aftermarket shock for the bike, I purchaed one and it was 100% better than stck stock but still not right for our size / weight and the junk we carry. A bunch of us in the Concours Owners Group ask Proggrevise to re-visit their design. They came up with the "Fat Bastard" for us big boned riders, I need to clone that shock and install it on the Stelvio. I have yet to bottom out that shock or launch the wife, it's like riding in a Lazy-Boy.

Hi Just been looking at checking my suspension settings to the manual standard setting and done everything by the book except for access to the rebound screw at the bottom of the shock. How the hell do you get to that screw when most of it is hidden behind a suspension linkage? There must be an easy way but I can't see it without dismantling the linkage or similar? :eek:

When I adjusted mine I put the bike on the sidestand and asked my (much) better half to sit on the bike. This moved the suspension linkage enough to access the screw!

Thanks. I had thought that may be a solution but yesterday my MUCH better half was at work but will give it a try over the weekend. cheers! :)

Back