• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Clutch Chatter ---- Brrrrruuum ---

pnguzzi

Cruisin' Guzzisti
The bike has about 3500 miles on it now, runs like a champ :) . However I noticed that when releasing the clutch, from a dead stop and only when bike is cold, I get a chatter for a split second at almost full release. It almost sounds like "brrrrrrrrrruuummm" . Once it warms a bit it's gone. There does not appear to be any clutch slip. I am still under warranty, so if it's serious or gets worse I wanna fix it :)

Does anybody have any input, is this to be feared or is it something that is commen and may break in and go away? :geek:

Mine does that. It has not gone away after 19,000 miles.
On mine, it sounds like brake pad vibration just as you let out the clutch. I can only guess that the clutch plate is vibrating. And it only does it once or twice when cold, then not again.

Take it back for a warranty claim. It shouldn't make any noise. Clutches are hard to fight for a claim since they are a wear item, but I'd try it. Since the fault isn't slippage you have a shot. Disengaged it should make some noise (plates rattling) engaging there should be none.

Mine does it too, only when cold.

Wayne, Todd,

Do your bikes have a single plate clutch? I've never heard of the two plate clutch making this kind of noise.

john zibell said:
Do your bikes have a single plate clutch? I've never heard of the two plate clutch making this kind of noise.
John, yes, the new 8V engine uses a single plate as shown below.

Attachments

• 8VClutchPhoto.jpg
    8VClutchPhoto.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 1,165
I was about to post the same question to others to see if there were other bikes making the same low pitched groaning/rumbling noise just as you nearly fully release the clutch lever.
It started at about 6,000kms and now has 7,400kms but as others said it only occurs when cold and once warm goes away.
I am ignoring it for now as it works fine once hot and I will wait and see.
Brett

:eek: Tell me otherwise.... but it sounds like this is a minor problem... Concern being "I don't want to let the warranty monkeys loose on the machine" My gut feeling is that they will do more damage tearing apart / reasembling.
Everybody feel the same way :unsure: ??

pnguzzi said:
:eek: Tell me otherwise.... but it sounds like this is a minor problem... Concern being "I don't want to let the warranty monkeys loose on the machine" My gut feeling is that they will do more damage tearing apart / reasembling.

Pretty much. (mine does it too when cold and only once or twice) Considering the closest dealer is 200 Km away and can't seem to keep staff while the other dealer is real new and is used to working on BMW's I think it will be just fine the way it is. ;) I am just over 20km on mine.

I hope Guzzi has better luck with this single plate unit. They never seemed to get it right in the past when they tried single plates in the big blocks. They always failed miserably. I've converted several past single plate setups to dual.

pnguzzi said:

Exactly.

My mechanic is pretty good, but the occasional howl when I slip a cold clutch is a non-issue for me. I'm sure it is just clutch plate chatter. I don't want to take the risk of having him tear it to bits for nothing. A new clutch would likely do the same. And I would have to leave the bike for a week for them to MAYBE hear it, maybe. Too much hassle.

I have a small list of items like this that I will write down to document under warranty in case it is an issue just outside warranty.

john zibell said:
I hope Guzzi has better luck with this single plate unit. They never seemed to get it right in the past when they tried single plates in the big blocks. They always failed miserably. I've converted several past single plate setups to dual.

I believe that is why they have a monster spring on the thing. No slippage....

Mine has a groan when i let the clutch out from cold, but only when its rained the night before.
Once its warm, it never makes a sound.

GT-Rx said:
Mine does it too, only when cold.

Same here, at about 9500 miles now. Does it once when I am taking off from cold then never again.

I have the same problem - feels and sounds like your dragging a wooden table across a hard floor. Dealer didn't want to get involved, said it would pass with time.

Only does it for the first 2 or 3 pull aways until warm then fine.

While I've never experienced this the fact that several people have heard it and none of them have bikes that have fallen into a molten heap would seem to me to indicate a non-issue. Especially those who are getting up a bit in miles/Kms? if there WAS a problem you'df expect it to of surfaced by now.

I'm up to 40,000Km on the Griso Verde now and the clutch remains obstinately bulletproof. No, I don't abuse it but it gets used. I've never heard a sound out of it. It seems this is a particularly odd Stelvio issue?? I wonder why??

Pete

Was curious on the follow-up of this thread.
For the gents that had or still have this noise on cold take-off ..... has the situation worsen or just went away?

I got 7k kms on it and just notice it now ...... only when I take off rapidly.
Slow or normal take-off don't hear a thing.

While there has been no announcement on the Servicemotoguzzi website the problem was mentioned at a training course I attended. It seems thatthere was an issue with the thrust bearing on some bikes. If the lever starts to get hard to pull in then the bearing may be failing. There is an updated thrust assembley available. I'll dig the part # out a bit later.

Pete

:silly: The Bike now has 6500 miles, and still does the same - the noise is the same - no worse no better.

Question :?: : Pete, is it then the thrust bearing or the clutch plates making that noise?

Back