• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Engine Crash Bars and the OEM Sump Guard: WTF?

oalvarez

Tuned and Synch'ed
if it's not one thing with me and Piaggio bikes, it's another (3 Aprilias, 3 disasters). my new MG Stelvio has already experienced some problems, and I've now discovered an oil leak most likely coming from the oil filter area (mind you, the bike has less than 100 miles on it). my Stelvio happens to have come with the engine crash bars, a nice add-on i will admit, but what i can't understand is

HOW FK'D UP THE DESIGN AND INTEGRATION OF THE CRASH BARS AND SUMP GUARD IS!

OMG! ARE YOU FK'N SERIOUS?

FOR REAL?

:twisted:

you're on a long ride, need to change the oil/filter, have limited sockets in your tool kit, AND ARE EXPECTED TO REMOVE THE CRASH BARS TO GET THE SUMP GUARD OFF?

:twisted:

can anyone appreciate what i'm saying?

/rant over, thanks for listening

I know what you mean! :evil:
If you have the same setup as I the f**kn OEM crashbars prevents the plastic sump guard to be removed.
A simple oil change can take you hours for crying out loud!

So this was my mod:
https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/190/4955.html#p36385

Or else you'll have to invest on an aluminum guard that bolts on the outside of the bars.

I fitted a set of crash bars after I purchased my bike and could see this problem happening in the future.So prior to fitting them I took off the plastic sump guard ,marked out where the center of the oil filter was and bored a 4inch hole on the guard with hole saw.Plus I took a small notch out of where the oil drain plug is so the oil doen't make a mess inside the guard.
If I could work out how to post a photo here I would send one to show you.

Not the best of design detail from Guzzi and what I did was a bit brutal, but it sure makes things easier to change the oil.
I think the left hand did not know what the right was doing in that design team.

For the riding I do the plastic guard only keeps the crap off the front of the motor.
Brett

i like what you did, smart mod, especially if all you need to use is one of those filter sockets. i'm still absolutely perplexed as to how THEY came to the conclusion to design it that way. if it was to save a buck, or to improve the visual aspect of the design, then they failed in my eyes. my solution? i like the engine guards themselves, they seem to be well made, and even if overkill in terms of how they mount to the motor and frame, they look the biz. yes, the Hepco bars were an option, but i decided on the MG aluminum sump guard (attaches on the outside of the lower guard bolts) instead. regardless, the consumer shouldn't have to be made to spend ANY money on remedying the situation themselves.

unreal.

I ordered the Stucchi plate from MG Cycle a week ago. It has a hole in the bottom for access. Hope it makes it easier. I didn't notice if it provided access to the drain plug or not. I'll have to check that out.

Here is my solution. The sump guard is just thin plastic and offers minimal protection anyway, so I was comfortable with the idea of just cutting a hole to allow access to the filter.

Bruce

Attachments

• Brown Boys October 2010 004.jpg
    Brown Boys October 2010 004.jpg
    589.4 KB · Views: 843
WitchCityBallabio said:
I ordered the Stucchi plate from MG Cycle a week ago. It has a hole in the bottom for access. Hope it makes it easier. I didn't notice if it provided access to the drain plug or not. I'll have to check that out.

I have both the Stucci Luigi crash bars as well as their skid plate. The skid plate does have a hole so you can get to the filter, but oil drips all over the skid plate when the filter is removed. The drain plug also dumps oil onto the skid plate.

The good news is the skid plate can be easily removed without removing the crash bars.

I think that's the best way; simply un-screw the few bolts and remove the sump guard to change the oil/filter in a more efficient manner. Of course, you'll need an alternative sump guard with the oem engine guards.

And when the Norge first came out there was no way to check the oil level without removing all the bottom plastic to get to the screw in dip stick, unless you made your own contraption out of PVC pipe to fit in between the fairing and the engine. A truly stupid design. It is as if there are two entirely different groups of people who design different parts of the bike and never talk to one another or even know they are designing motorcycle parts, then they never test a fully assembled bike to see if everything will work together before it goes into production. MG has since fixed the problem by drilling a hole in the left side fairing and installing a pull out dip stick. It works but this creates another problem, trying to fill the engine with oil through the 1/4 inch hole that the dip stick slides into. :unsure:

Changed my plastic one for the MG aluminium one. What a pain. Too much Chianti the night before for the designer or clever marketing?

I'm planning to get the sump guard from MG Cycle. I have the MG aluminum one now, but it is starting to get numerous cracks around the bolt holes. Of course, the big dented in spot underneath may be related to that. :whistle:
Anyone with the MG aluminum sump guard should at least put some very large and heavy washers under the bolt heads.

Back