• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

TB balance and TPS reset - without Navigator?

GuzziHero

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
My local engineer reckons he can do throttle body balancing and throttle position sensor resets on the Griso without Navigator/Axone... I thought it could only be done through the electronics?

Have I missed something? Is it possible? If so, he is charging £30+ VAT for the lot which is a bargain!

GuzziHero said:
My local engineer reckons he can do throttle body balancing and throttle position sensor resets on the Griso without Navigator/Axone... I thought it could only be done through the electronics? Have I missed something? Is it possible? If so, he is charging £30+ VAT for the lot which is a bargain!

He has to at least have VDSTS to electronically reset the TPS. It is fixed and cannot be moved. You also need to know which screw isn't touched (sacred screw). I suggest you find someone else who knows the brand, or buy VDSTS and a sync tool, read this forum, and do it yourself.

Ah, he said about using a flow meter.

Right, I'm looking for a VDSTS operator then. Maybe Nigel, my local Guzzi whizz, has one.

Edit:
Navigator can do it, right?

Throttle body ballance is done with vacuum manometers or one of the proprietory alternatives like carbtune or twinmax same as any other machine. TPS is re-set electronically, there are no physical adjustments. Navigator/Axone is simply the factory tooling to diagnose and identify problems and perform adjustments to the few things that you can adjust electronically. One of thoe things is zeroing the TPS.

Pete

GuzziHero said:
Ah, he said about using a flow meter.

Right, I'm looking for a VDSTS operator then. Maybe Nigel, my local Guzzi whizz, has one.

Edit:
Navigator can do it, right?

Yes, Navigator can reset PS, but VDSTS can as well.The European Pro version does all bikes, or find someone with the 5AM version which will work on the Griso and several other bikes.

I think your engineer is talking 50% bollux. (just my opinion) Yes you can balance the throttle bodies with vacuum gauges if you have the right size adapters to fit in the manifold, and no, you can`t set the TPS without the software and cables to link your bike to a PC. I`ve got both and if you`re ever in Essex, give me a call and I`ll reset both for you for the princely sum of...sweet fuckall. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

There *is* an alternative to the VDSTS, apparently ... developed by someone who wrote his own programme, for his Ducati (which has the same ECU as our Guzzis). Cables and connectors can be had via eBay, from what I understand the software itself is free.

The full info, in French, is here.

That fist price is the pro setup, you just need a guzzi griso specific setup. Much cheaper from Todd @ guzzitech.

GuzziHero said:
Meep.

I'm not paying £900 just to set up my ignition and reset my TPS!

The standard version is not £900, that's the pro version. I was quoted £199 + P&P + vat. Todd's price is very good but we could get stung for import tax into the UK on top.

Still 'spensiv!

I couldnt find it on their site anyway. I'll probably just beg/borrow/steal a diagnostics unit from somewhere :D

GuzziHero said:
Still 'spensiv!

I couldnt find it on their site anyway. I'll probably just beg/borrow/steal a diagnostics unit from somewhere :D

If you can borrw? fine. Thing is that if you do plan to do your own tuning some sort of electronic gizmo is going to be required.

There are two bits of good news. Firstly The VDSTS system Todd sells is very good, much easier to use and more reliable than the crappy Texa stuff the factory uses and it's price is more than fair. Most people wouldn't think twice about shelling out $200 for a decent set of spanners, (In fact last week I replaced a whole heap of my ring/openenders that were getting a bit workshy with a set of quality tools that were on 'Special' locally, cost me $130 and I didn't even think about it. A decent torque wrench will get you back twice that.) the VDSTS is no different.

Secondly once set up right, unless you bin it, FI tends to stay in tune a VERY long time. Borrow if you can and set up once and you probably won't have to look at anything for 50,000Km.

Personally I'd just buy the VDSTS off Todd. The only reason I haven'tis because I have the excreble Navigator.

Pete

Problem is, I'm a bus driver by trade and not an airline pilot... to spend that type of money requires quite a bit of justifying as compared to my finances.

For something I will use once, I can't justify the cost. I could put that money into an advanced rider scheme or something.

Why don't you get a quote from a Moto Guzzi dealer or an Aprilia dealer (if they have the MG software)?
The work that you are talking about does not take long to do, so see what their minimum charge is.

There is apparently a company in Wrecsam which might be able to do that.

I'm annoyed as when I asked Speedaway in B'ham to do it (I was in for a remap anyway) they wouldnt do it!

Back