• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

does oil pressure depend from it's amount?

Kuzya

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi gents,

strange thing happens, my S12 likes to leak from anywhere it can. When bought it this july with 12km on it - everything was dry and clean.
- first what happened - it was dripping some fuel.. no reason discovered, just followed a hint "lift tank and touch the overfill lines, put back together". did help,but
- it started letting oil out from valve gasket. ok, ordered one for replacement.
- checked oil level, was low, 200 ml below min. added some 350-400 ml to make it a bit above min, and what happens next - an oil leak from oil filter comes out... (level check was properly done, on hot, both wheels down, vertical)

does the oil circuit get higher pressure if oil level gets higher? or is it just a coincidence that after adding some oil it started leaking?

I'm afraid to fix it, that it does not find another place to leak from. maybe I'll add a 100ml water canister somewhere to the bike, that it can leak from there if it likes to piss so much... :|

does the oil circuit get higher pressure if oil level gets higher? or is it just a coincidence that after adding some oil it started leaking?

Just coincidence. The oil filter leaking is a known issue. Tighten it up a little.

Kuzya,

Rocker cover leaks on them all - get some silicone gaskets from Real Gaskets and you will never have another leak and they are reusable.

Engine oil is critical - too much and it will end up in the airbox - luckily it is self levelling and when it gets down the the right amount, it will stop filling up the airbox. Drain the engine and refill with the correct amount of oil and it will clean up its act.

The original oil filters liked to leak as well. Try oil filters from HifloFiltro = these are cheaper than the originals and actually seal properly - no more oil filter leaks.

Do not dishearten this is all normal for Guzzis - just apply patience and you will be well rewarded - after all Guzzis are unique just like their owners...

Oz1200Guzzi said:
Kuzya,

Rocker cover leaks on them all - get some silicone gaskets from Real Gaskets and you will never have another leak and they are reusable.

Engine oil is critical - too much and it will end up in the airbox - luckily it is self levelling and when it gets down the the right amount, it will stop filling up the airbox. Drain the engine and refill with the correct amount of oil and it will clean up its act.

The original oil filters liked to leak as well. Try oil filters from HifloFiltro = these are cheaper than the originals and actually seal properly - no more oil filter leaks.

Do not dishearten this is all normal for Guzzis - just apply patience and you will be well rewarded - after all Guzzis are unique just like their owners...

Strange... My last two HifloFiltro (HF 551) leaked including the one I have on right now. I'm beginning to think the leak comes from the oil pan. I'll try another brand. I read Walmart have one that's recommended on one of the post. We'll see.

thanks!

I knew of poor filter quality, just wondered it happened immediately after adding some oil. want to change it for a bosh 3330, but have to order it from abroad, they do not sell it in ukraine.
was more like kidding about my worries, it is funny a leak comes after a leak.

actually choosing a guzzi I wanted a real piece of metal bike, smelling like oil and gasoline, just did not really expect all my parking places to become covered with fuel/oil marks when the bike is still new :)
in some perverse way it even makes a feeling of owning a bike more permanent and present. :)

Just a question about your oil filter leak: was the sealing surface checked for damage and/or debris? Was the oil filter overtightened? How many miles and how long have you had the bike? Last question: did you prefill the oil filter and lube the sealing gasket before installing?

Kuzya, I hadn't realized you were in the Ukraine. Obviously there won't be a huge depth of knowledge of the marque there but they are a fairly simple machine and no, they shoudn't leak.

The rocker cover gaskets are, on the new bikes, coated with some sort of gloop that makes them invariably rip when the rocker covers are removed. Odering the gaskest for a V11 ir an earlier Cali will meen you get 'Gloop-less' ones that, if installed after the originals have been scrupulously removed and the surfaces cleaned well, will often be re-useable again and again. Just smear 'em with grease before you put them on and take care when removing the rocker covers.

With the oil filter leak? You aren't just doing it up by hand are you? You can't hope to get a CARC type filter tight enough by 'Finger' for it not to leak. You need a cap wrench that will fit over the filter and it needs to be done up fairly tight.

Also check that the rubber gasket off the previous filkter hasn't remained attatched to the bottom of the filter mount. If it hasit will not allow the new gasket to seat and once again it WILL leak.

If you can't find a suitable cap wrench in the Ukraine you can mail order one from any of the usual aftermarket suppliers in Europe or the USA. I bought mine at MPH in Houston Tx. simply because Todd had 'em on the shelf and it saved me a whole heap of time scallywagging about trying to find a 'Cheaper' source. Can't remember how much it cost me? $18 or some such paltry amount. As ong as the Ukrainian government doesn't charge you 150% import duty or something horrid like that it is probably by far the easiest way to go.

Pete

frank73x89 said:
Oz1200Guzzi said:
Kuzya,

Strange... My last two HifloFiltro (HF 551) leaked including the one I have on right now. I'm beginning to think the leak comes from the oil pan. I'll try another brand. I read Walmart have one that's recommended on one of the post. We'll see.

My last two Hiflo HF 551 filters haven't leaked a drop and I only need to tighten them 15nm. All my other Guzzi OEM filters leaked unless I tightened them a lot. The nice thing about the Hiflo is it is specifically a Guzzi replacement and not an automotive filter that just happens to fit the Guzzi. Cheaper, non-leaking and it even uses the same filter wrench as the OEM. I'll stick with the Hiflo.

guys, thanks for supporting my feelings about MG :) it was half-joke initially, with smileys, that I worry it always gets broken. I actually like it being a "piece of oily steel" motorcycle, rather than a "plastic-electronic computer for gays without instrument set, but with wheels" I really was wondering if oil pressure depends that much from it's level. it was strange to me - no single drop of oil over 1000 km and immediate leak from filter after adding 300 ml oil (definitely not too much, nothing in the airbox puke pipe)
by the way, gasket replaced, no leaks so far. was fun to remove the rests of gasket from both surfaces, sticky stuff, had to be careful to not scratch with a knife a deep mark - reason for possible later leak.

great bike! best ever! need a Bellagio as a second bike to be complete :)

Back