• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

norcal, southern oregon jaunt

jamileh

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Left last Tuesday AM to go riding around northern CA, and hopefully make it up to Merlin, Oregon to catch a road from there to Gold Beach. Got home Sunday evening. The RC took me on some great roads, and showed me some gorgeous scenery.
The short version: Day 1: hwy 49 and several offshoots roads to Nevada City
Day 2: hwy 49, hwy 89, Lake Almanor, Lassen NP
Day 3: Hwy 299, hwy 96, overnighted in Grants Pass
Day 4: west from Grants Pass to Merlin, Galice, and FR 23/Bear Camp Rd to Gold Beach. south to Mendocino
County
Day 5: R & R
Day 6: backroads to Clear Lake, back roads to Napa, banzai home to Central Cali.
BIG GRIN since then.....
Way too many pix.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jamileh1014 ... eat=email#

not sure if the pix album thingie will work....

Geez, forgot to mention one of the best parts - Regina H. on her trusty EV met me Friday night in Mendocino County, and we had a total blast hanging out and then tearing up the awesome backroads between there and the Bay Area on Sunday.
Got some roads to tell you about, Rafael.

And of course, my beloved RC handled it all with its usual aplomb.... (brings new meaning to the word "aplomb", doesn't it???)

Is it possible for you to post a map/route of the Oregon portion of this ride? I live up in the Portland area and would really *love* to find out more about the part that you did in Oregon.

Michael

Happy to share, Michael. You'll love my version of google maps..... These are simply photos of the sections of my Oregon Benchmark that show the route I took. I went east to west from Grants Pass. I took Exit 61 off of I-5 just north of Grants Pass, west to Merlin. From Merlin, I took the Merlin-Galice Rd west to Galice. It's clearly marked. At Galice, I took the Galice Rd. west. After some miles, there is a left turn onto Bear Camp Rd/FR 23. Take that. There is a big yellow sign at the turn (I think in my picasa album) that says travel on Bear Camp Rd not advised between Nov 5 and May. A sign further west says the road is actually closed after Nov 5. I took Bear Camp Rd all the way to just south of Agness, where i took Agness Rd basically all the way to Gold Beach, tho it becomes Jerrys Flat Rd at some point. I just kept following the signs to Gold Beach as i headed west. And I had the Benchmark map on my tank bag, which i think are dynamite maps.
I would probably take pretty seriously the advisement about the road being closed in November, depending on the weather.

I've hilited the route I took. Let me know if you have any further questions.

east half of the route

map2059.jpg

continuing west

map2060.jpg

Keith, broken oil filter gasket, like so..... Very strange. Was pretty much a brand-new filter. Hiflo brand. I contacted Hiflo at Todd's suggestion. They sent me a new filter, and wanted to see the gasket pieces. I sent them to them; they were going to have their Euro guy look at them, since it came out of a Moto Guzzi, and then contact me. Haven't heard back from them.

brokengasket015.jpg

Oh, and since i had a new (non-Hiflo) filter put in, no further manifestations of any kind.

Thanks for the map! I will have to give that a shot next year. I am quite sure that it would be folly to try that much later than now.

Michael

great shots. And, just for grins (especially to encourage folks to go see them at the link) here are your thumbnails:

jamileh1.jpg

jamileh2.jpg

jamileh3.jpg

jamileh4.jpg

jamileh5.jpg

Back