• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Gas tank fuel line fitting upgrade

ncassidy

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I am interested in replacing the quick disconnect in the fuel line to remove the tank. The one used by MG is a cheap setup that is a pain in the butt to get disconnected. Does anyone out there know of a better solution, or replacement of the connector with a better quality unit?

I switched mine out to a Dorman 800083 Fuel Line Connector...5/16". This connector mates to the existing red outlet on the fuel pump. Cost is in the neighborhood of $6.00. You will also need a special tool to release the connector, also about $6,00. Both should be available at your local NAPA store.

Word of caution. Without a special tool to put fittings on the nylon fuel line it is a very difficult task. The special tool, also made by Dorman, is available on Amazon for about $80.
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-800083-Fuel-Line-Connector/dp/B000E3021A
http://www.amazon.com/Performance-T...3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1285878654&sr=1-13
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-800301..._2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1285878561&sr=1-2

OK, I looked at Amazon links, and I don't see any real benefit for the Dorman over the existing fitting - what am I missing??

It disconnects easily, connects positively and if you do happen to mess up the inner piece that secures it you can replace it for about twenty cents.

Another, significantly more expensive option, is to put the steel quick disconnects, often found on BMWs, inline.

Thank you for the reply. How did you secure the fitting to the fuel hose? Did you use the Oetiker Clamps like the stock setup or something else?

The existing nylon line is a press fit. The Oetiker clamps are found on the fuel pump in the tank but the line from the tank to the fuel injectors is simply a press fit. This is where the tool I mentioned comes in. If you consider this option check out the web site at http://www.dorman.comto see how the tool works.

Some people have switched to the rubber line with clamps. I had access to the Dorman tool and chose to continue using the existing nylon line and not mess with the fuel injector ends.

The fuel line disconnect on the Norge is what gives production engineers such bad reputations. And well deserved these reputations are. My fuel line become so difficult to disconnect from the tank that it finally broke the little red outlet off the fuel pump assembly. I investigated the price of replacing the disconnect and the fuel pump and was immediately dissuaded from any further conversations in that direction. Being a properly trained 'forensic' engineer myself, I set out to see about not only repairing but also improving this setup.
I removed the fuel pump and drilled out the pot metal that was holding the little broken red thingy. I then tapped the remaining metal and screwed in a standard right angle plastic barbed hose fitting. I then used a short length of fuel hose with a quick disconnect sourced from Omega Engineering and forced a barbed straight through fitting on to the end of the plastic line going to the throttle bodies and tightened everything down.
Works great after 18,000 miles and is very easy to disconnect now.

Went on the Omega site and looked at the couplers, they look like they would do the job. Steven, which couplers did you go with?
Looks like the delrin ones were suitable for gas. Are they able to be purchased direct?

For those of you wanting to make this change:

Quantity Partnumber Availability* Price Item Total
1 FT-LCD170-04 stock $23.00 $23.00

1 FT-LCD230-04 stock $14.00 $14.00

Subtotal $37.00
Tax $0.00
Shipping $0.00
Total Order $37.00

at http://www.omega.com

so as someone who's joined the ranks of Norge owners who broke the little red plastic thing, can I confirm the specs on the parts you're using to replace it?

It's looks like an elbow with a 1/4 inch thread/tube size and a 5/16" hose size with barb. Can anyone confirm this spec?

Does re-tapping the plate and replacing the original with a fitting at these measurements mean I can keep using the original disconnect on the fuel line? or will the disconnect also have to be replaced on the fuel line to match the new part?

Thanks.

When I had my 2000 Triumph Sprint ST there was a problem with the fuel quick disconnect plastic fittings, triumph did a recall and replaced one side but not the other. A lot of the guys on the Triumph site replaced the fittings with these brass fittings. I'm wondering if you were to cut the Guzzi line back from the elbow and then insert a male and female brass quick disconnect fitting, would that solve any issues?

https://www.colder.com/Tabid/72/Materia ... ducts.aspx

I think it'll be a winter project for me!!!

Back