• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso Mods (split from the Picture Thread)

dgreenwood

Just got it firing!
GT-Rx said:
You can add a slip-on muffler without huge issues if you use a db-killer. Either way (even stock) the bike will hugely benefit from my ECU (and PC-V) mod which is (I assume) what you are referring to, yes?

Yes, I was referring to the ECU, PC-V/AT, air flow mod that I'm sure will follow in rapid succession if the slip-on negatively affects the way it runs. I plan to do all of this stuff anyway, I'm just holding back the tide that is my own enthusiasm.

I'm holding off for two reasons:
1. Warranty- I'd like to make sure things are working well before I do anything that could affect a warranty claim. I don't expect to wait the whole two years but I'm trying to let everything settle in before I start changing.
2. I'd like to get used to things the way they are so I can make informed decisions about how changes affect things. In other words, develop a baseline for comparison.

As far as slip-ons go, I like the look of the newer GT-Rx stainless that is stickied in this forum but I haven't seen any pics of one installed on a Griso or heard much about how it performs. It certainly has caught my eye and is on my mind though.

dgreenwood said:
I plan to do all of this stuff anyway, I'm just holding back the tide that is my own enthusiasm.
I'm holding off for two reasons:
1. Warranty- I'd like to make sure things are working well before I do anything that could affect a warranty claim. I don't expect to wait the whole two years but I'm trying to let everything settle in before I start changing.
2. I'd like to get used to things the way they are so I can make informed decisions about how changes affect things. In other words, develop a baseline for comparison.
As far as slip-ons go, I like the look of the newer GT-Rx stainless that is stickied in this forum but I haven't seen any pics of one installed on a Griso or heard much about how it performs. It certainly has caught my eye and is on my mind though.
Outside of immense running improvements, you'd be doing the engine (and inadvertently the warranty) a HUGE favor by doing these mods now. Have a look at the data I've published (on air/fuel data), and you'll quickly see why. You've probably read all of the "I wish I wouldn't have waited" comments here as well.
If you are asking about the carbon and stainless slip-ons, I've had no takers yet for the Griso. I've only sold my GT-Rx Meg (right & left) to date.

But Todd? The data you have posted is all based almost entirely on EGA with no 'Compensation' factor allowed for changes like de-restricting the exhaust. Yes I 'Know' that this is the commonly accepted way of analysing AFR but I'm comming more and more to the conclusion that with an engine/head design as idiosyncratic as that of the current Guzzi item relying on EGA alone is barking up the wrong tree.

I sincerely believe that to get the best out of the 8V using the PCV/AT package will require re-camming and some serious port-work. The 2VPC motors are different because of their history and heritage.

This is NOT, as I keep insisting, a criticism. Simply an observation. I may well be entirely wrong.

Pete

Todd,
Is the difference between the two style slip-ons purely aesthetic or is there possible performance and sound differences. Like I said, I really like the new design and don't have a problem being an early adopter as long as I know what I'm getting myself into.

pete roper said:
But Todd? The data you have posted is all based almost entirely on EGA with no 'Compensation' factor allowed for changes like de-restricting the exhaust. Yes I 'Know' that this is the commonly accepted way of analysing AFR but I'm comming more and more to the conclusion that with an engine/head design as idiosyncratic as that of the current Guzzi item relying on EGA alone is barking up the wrong tree.
I sincerely believe that to get the best out of the 8V using the PCV/AT package will require re-camming and some serious port-work. The 2VPC motors are different because of their history and heritage.
This is NOT, as I keep insisting, a criticism. Simply an observation. I may well be entirely wrong.
Pete, all I can say is those who have fitted my ECU and/or full monty kit on the 8V thoroughly think it was worth the money. My Stelvio will lift the tire in the first three gears, and I can spin the tire off corners from as low as 4k RPM. If you're saying for even more substantial gains, then I would agree that cam and port work (which I'll be doing the later in the near future to my project 8V Hellion) would be beneficial. Hopefully the last time that I'll have to post this; Every new internal combustion motorcycle engine has shown benefits from AFR/EGA science, including Dynojet's own Bonneville world record 206.000 mph turbo 600cc Honda. They use the PC-V and AutoTune units on the salt.

dgreenwood said:
Is the difference between the two style slip-ons purely aesthetic or is there possible performance and sound differences. Like I said, I really like the new design and don't have a problem being an early adopter as long as I know what I'm getting myself into.
Since I haven't built one to dyno; Based on other data (1200 Norge), power characteristics of the carbon or SS versions would be slightly down on peak power, but bottom to mid would be similar. Sound is completely different. DB-killer in, it's slightly louder then stock. Out gives a nice mellow sound. My meg is, well, Bellisimo in the sound dept.

Just to be clear, the comparison you offer for peak power, mid, and low is compared to your meg, not stock?

As far as I understand, the look is different, the sound is not as loud, the performance is similar but with a possible minor sacrifice in peak power. That would make the target audience for the new variant someone who was looking for a more subtle look (they seem smaller) and sound and was willing to make a small sacrifice in peak power to get it. Sound about right?

Would choosing this slip on make things more difficult for the user planning to do the ECU upgrade down the road since maps may not exist for the exact components? I assume that the PCV/AT would take care of that but I'm talking about the user who is doing this in stages.

Sorry to keep pushing this but I haven't seen any of these details discussed anywhere for this slip-on so maybe they'll be helpful to others besides me. For the record, the slip-on being discussed here is the one seen in this link; an alternate style to the original that is listed on Guzzitech.com. https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/163/3842.html

dgreenwood said:
Just to be clear, the comparison you offer for peak power, mid, and low is compared to your meg, not stock?
Correct.
As far as I understand, the look is different, the sound is not as loud, the performance is similar but with a possible minor sacrifice in peak power. That would make the target audience for the new variant someone who was looking for a more subtle look (they seem smaller) and sound and was willing to make a small sacrifice in peak power to get it. Sound about right?
It does.
Would choosing this slip on make things more difficult for the user planning to do the ECU upgrade down the road since maps may not exist for the exact components? I assume that the PCV/AT would take care of that but I'm talking about the user who is doing this in stages.
It would not offer any difficulty, no. I have maps for the Mistral and Agostini, which have similar flow characteristics. Yes the PC-V/AT will resolve the fueling completely. As I will state again, *EVERY* engine is different, so a "one ECU works perfectly on all" simply isn't possible. Will it fuel 100% better then stock, yes.

Hope that helps.

Back