• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Confessions of a Hungarian Root Vegatable Salesman

Bob Bernstein

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Confessions of a “Hungarian Root Vegetable Salesman”
I have seen it now two times. It seems that when anyone on the list mentions that they had or or have a VStrom, then Pete Roper cautions they shall be mistaken for a “Hungarian Root Vegetable Salesman” or at least they will look like one! When questioned he readily posted a picture of such a person. BTW, the so called “Hungarian Root Vegetable Salesman” did not appear to be that very strange at all, especially in comparison to some of us.
I believe I was the first member of this list to be so accused. More recently, a fellow countryman of Pete’s was so warned when mentioning a VStrom.
Well here’s the story; early last September I purchased a new ’09 Stelvio that had had all the appropriate recalls performed. The dealer, who I have known for some 25 years, made me a very attractive offer on a deal. I had previously sold my ’06 Breva and had been ogling a Stelvio for the better part of a year. I was so happy to finalize the deal. I rode the gorgeous Red Stelvio home only to find a puddle of oil under the bike when I got home. The next morning I carefully rode the bike back to the dealer, who because of various reasons could not cancel the deal and refund my money. I could easily understand and as I said I knew him for a long time and he had always been straight with me. Also his business had been terrible for a long time. I knew that if anybody could repair the bike correctly, it was this guy. Besides, I was smitten.
I still had a very dependable and fun to ride VStrom home in the garage. Well one thing led to another and I did not get the bike back until March of this year! Chicago weather doesn’t really get good enough to ride in until late March so I figure I really was only without the Stelvio for the 3 fall months of 09.
Well from March and all through the summer I rode the Red Stelvio for 4700 absolutly trouble free miles. It continued to really make me ecstatic every time I got on it and it was feeling like it was just starting to break-in. I took it on a couple of weekend trips and everywhere I went everyone said; "that’s a beautiful bike", especially the BMW riders.

Well about 2 weeks ago the honeymoon came to an abrupt end when I stated to see several drops of oil in the same place as puddle when new. Back out to the dealer and as I waited for the dealer to come out for a look, there was a lot of oil. Dealer says, “ I don’t like it”.
Well the beauty is again totally apart waiting for a new rear main seal from Italy and that’s the end of the story for now. I know my dealer will fix it right, but hey, WTF.
The confession part comes this way. Last spring a friend and I travelled from Chicago to Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. Did I take the beautifull new Stelvio or did I take the “old reliable” VStrom? Well, as I said this is the confession of a “Hungarian Root Vegetable Salesman”

I replaced a Vstrom with my Stelvio last November. I knew I was in danger of being accused of smuggling polar bears, but didn't realize I'm a former Hungarian Root Vegetable Salesman.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Bob, she sure is nice when she's healthy.

All of us are hoping that this sort of thing won't happen to us ...

I'd be really really peeved if I saw a puddle of oil underneath my Stelvio. I paid the price the dealer asked for the bike because I'm tired of fooling with older bikes that leak oil and need clutches and seals all the time.

If I were to pay the price and STILL have to be off the road because it was broke, I ... I ... I don't know what I'd do. I might turn dangerous or something ... :woohoo:

Lannis

Lannis, I read about the Stelvio here and other and knew there were problems but thought that could never happen to me!
Well it did happen to me and all I could do what accept it cause I could not change it, without a lawsuit, which you can always lose.
You think I learned something, but I turned right around a bought a 1000SP project bike.

It's good to "come out of the closet" :eek: :lol: I only keep one bike at a time and have been fortunate to have had good results on all my recent bikes (Triumphs, BM's and now the Stelvio), but I can appreciate the love/hate with any brand bike when reading posts like this. You want to trust her on a day ride and most certainly when thousands of miles from home, let alone be able to find a good shop if needed, but...........

I enjoy mine having appx 20K in a year and rode her all over much of the "Lower 48". I didn't dwell on "what if she breaks out here", but I can't say it never entered my mind either. She is running better than ever with 12-15K being much like my BM as a "finally broke in" point. I now get 42-48 mpg and she is smooooooth too. My rattling on is offered more as a "keep the faith" if you can.

That being said, I may sell her and look again at the Norge for some of my future touring needs, The Stelvio just makes me smile so much, it's hard to think of riding a bunch of miles without all she offers, :evil: :woohoo:

Cheers

RootVeg.jpg

Enjoy!!!!!

Bob, just out of interest why does a rear main seal have to come from Italy??? While they are a Viton type directional seal and you can't use just 'Any Old' nitrile replacement ANY of the aftermarket places will have them on the shelf and they cost about $28AU from memory. Why doesn't your 'Dealer' just order one from a local AM supplier and put it in then put the warranty item on the shelf??? If $28 is going to break the bank I'd be reluctant to leave my bike there overnight in case the recievers come in!!!!

My mate John's Stelvio just melted its headlight switch. Haven't found out why exactly yet, but I've ordered the replacement, (In stock in Sydney.) on my own account to get him back on the road quick. When the warranty item arrives I'll either keep it as a 'Spare', (The switchblock isn't unique I don't think. several other models use it.) or I'll return it to Sydney to replace the one I've bought. Result? Bike back on road quickly, customer happy, better chance of return custom = higher profits for me. Don't any of these other stupid fuckers know ANYTHING about running a business? I'm no genius but that much is self evident to me!

Replacing a rear main seal on a Stelvio? Dunno, haven't done one yet, but 12 hours is what I'd budget for on a 'First Time' repair if I was doing it. I can do a rear main on a T3 in three hours running to running. All the extra time would be tied up removing bling and plastic. Once you'd get that down pat it would probably be under a day. IF YOU'RE A MECHANIC rather than a 'Technician' or some other high-fallutin' self descriptor :roll:

Pete

Seems I was out of line, (not unusual when I'm pissed off.) seems that the shop involved is one of the best in the USA and the bloke involved is definitely one of those I'd class as a "Mechanic'.

Problem for me is that I see so many crap jobs from crap dealers, both here and in the USA, that I tend to jump to conclusions and, sadly, I'm usually right.

When I was over in the US this year there were people at rallies who had never had their TPS's checked on bikes from the very dawn of the M5AM era, just today I had a bloke 'Passing Through' from Victoria whose2006/7 bike had been serviced by Victoria's 'Blue Ribband' dealer and it too had NEVER had it's TPS checked, How can you tell? All the pushrod engined Brevas/Sports?Norges etc. come from the factory with their TPS set at 3.2-3.6 degrees. They should be at 4.6. It's obvious as soon as you look at the parameters list if its been touched.

I regularly see bikes that have had their FI set up 'Like Carbs'. It's not like that. I find it frustrating and sometimes I make a bad call. Apology has been sent. I hope that it all gets sorted ASAP.

Pete

Problem is Peter who do we trust. I put my previous bike (1200 Sport) into one of the Uk's longest serving Guzzi dealers and they damaged my left fork leg and then tried to blame me, I knew they were talking rubbish because I hadn't touched anything at that time,all I had ever done was clean it.A few months later I take my bike down to Italy and put the bike into a famous dealer only a few hundred yards from the Guzzi factory to have them check my throttle balance & TPS settings, they adjusted the bike and it ran like crap afterwards. Here in the UK there are many new Guzzi dealers and they haven't got a clue but are more than happy to take your money. Mechanics or Technicians, I've yet to find one who I trust.

Cheers

Ian

Pete, I am glad to hear you found out that my dealer knows what he is doing and not some dork! I was out riding and stopped by Rose Farm today and Jim, owner/mechanic, showed me the very complicated rear main seal retainer. Indeed, a very complicated apparatus about 8 inches in diameter and a couple of inches thick and beautifully machined! I am no mechanic just a rider, who depends on my dealer, to know what these relatively high tech bikes are all about. I luckily purchased my bike from this dealer because I knew him and his reputation. I could have purchased the bike cheaper from another dealer 20 miles nearer to my home, but I trusted my instincts and went where I knew the dealer. If I had gone where I might have saved a few hundred dollars, I probably would have really been screwed! To hear you (on the other side of the world) confirm that he us one of the best in the US makes me feel vindicated.

Cheers, Bob

Back