• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio fuel consumption

Slekke

Tuned and Synch'ed
On my demo test i had a 9,1L/100km fuel consumption.

Question : What is a average fuel consuption ? L/100km.

Greetings,

Slekke

Somewhat germane to this conversation, is there any possible truth to the rumor that the Stelvio tank will be enlarged from it's current 18 liters to 24 or 25 liters in an (also rumored) upcoming refresh? (I suppose all things are possible, but I'm looking for confirmation that someone other than me - and the guy that told me - has heard it...)

Or what is the chance an aftermarket company would fashion a larger tank for it say 8 or 9 gallons? That would be the fix.

StelvioGT said:
Or what is the chance an aftermarket company would fashion a larger tank for it say 8 or 9 gallons? That would be the fix.

While I'm sure it can be done (I'm an FJR owner and I've just witnessed another owner enlarge an already reasonably-sized tank by another ~2 gallons), I question the wisdom of going quite that large on the Stelvio's main tank. A fully fueled Stelvio is now only ~9 lbs lighter than a fully fueled BMW GSA with an 8.7 gallon (33 liter) tank. As high-riding as the Stelvio is, all that additional weight up high would, I'd think, negatively impact handling(?). Adding just 3 gallons/11.35 liters (for a total of~7.8 gallons/~29.5 liters) would add ~18.6 lbs to the bike. I'd like to believe that MG could find space without completely redesigning the body work to add maybe just another 1 to 1.5 gallons..? With a ~225-250 mile range on the main tank, the FJR gets sold and I'm a customer.

I must agree that in the beginning the fuel consumption is crap .... breaking in period.
I calculated 9.9l/100km when I first got the bike which is horrific but more the bike gets mileage more the consumption decreases.
Now I'm getting approximately 7l/100km with +/-5500km on the bike.
Gotta said that with the VDST software (Fuel Trim) I can play around with the fuel consumption to make the bike run leaner or richer.....but the fuel trim adjustment also makes the bike respond differently!!!

With a tank full 250km can easily be done.
For extra long trips I'm awaiting brackets to install Rotopax Fuel Packs.

I've gone the Rotopax route too, as has already been stated its not the lightest bike and I wouldn't want more weight at the top.
A couple of gallons attached to the panniers works quite well.

Fuel consumption is improving as the engine frees up, and I'm averaging 50 to the Gallon (what the hell are litres anyway) :D

londonrob said:
Fuel consumption is improving as the engine frees up, and I'm averaging 50 to the Gallon (what the hell are litres anyway) :D

I figure the Europeans would measure the fuel as "pints" because that's how they drink there beer :lol: :lol: :lol:

22K miles and 42.5 mpg, 2 up @ 75 mph........we here in the states drink beer by the quart or gallon, not the pint or litre :p

If you can call it beer......... :sick: whats it called? Dead Weasel? :lol:

StelvioGT said:
They sell Guinness here in the States and Grolsch and Fosters and...

Yes, and furthermore, some of the nicest beers I have tried have been American. Yuengling and Samuel Adams come to mind. Of course, I believe that, like dogs, there is no such thing as a "bad" beer... :D

Bruce

StelvioGT said:
I've considered the project, but the cost might be prohibitive... so most importantly is how many would purchase the larger tank, and at what cost?

GT-Rx said:
StelvioGT said:
I've considered the project, but the cost might be prohibitive... so most importantly is how many would purchase the larger tank, and at what cost?

I wouldn't buy a larger fuel tank just because I am pretty sure the cost will be too great. However, auxiliary fuel containers are readily available and reasonably cheap, so if I were planning a trip to a remote area, that is what I would buy. YMMV

Bruce

StelvioGT said:

I already did. And not one inquiry. As Todd says, cost is the issue.

StelvioGT said:
I would think if you could make it for $1000.00 or less you'd sell quite a few.

Depending on what "quite a few" meant, I could probably get the cost down to $1k. If I knew I could sell 25 or more, that would be quite a few in my book. But it doesn't seem the interest is there.

I'm not complaining, by the way. I thoroughly enjoyed my project and even the frustration that came with it. But more than that, I'm really enjoying the finished product. It does exactly what I had hoped it would do.

Ray R said:
Depending on what "quite a few" meant, I could probably get the cost down to $1k. If I knew I could sell 25 or more, that would be quite a few in my book. But it doesn't seem the interest is there.
Since there have been <50 Stelvio sold in the U.S. to date, getting 25 would be near impossible I would think. If you caught the other thread with a "new" Stelvio rendering, they are quoting ~8.4 gallons. We shall see.

Unrelated but back on topic, my GT-Rx ECU/PC-V/AT Stelvio averaged right near 39 mpg on my recent round-trip to Death Valley... This was two-up and loaded, cruising a big handful above the posted 75 mph speed limit.

John of the 'Blazing Stelvio' tells me that Stucchi are now selling an auxiliary fuel tank that slots into the obvious place beside the RH pannier rack. All plumbed in proper-like. Takes an extra 9 litres or so I'm told. Haven't had time to look for it yet. No doubt it will be as dear as poison but with our $ flying high it should be doable. With the exchange rate the way it is I'm thinking of ordering a new seat for my Mana from France to replace the original 'Brick and a half' Aprilia think appropriate for a lightweight tourer :roll: .

Pete

Back