• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stucchi Aux Tank & N. to S. American Tour

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
It seems that Stucchi has created an auxiliary tank for the Tour below...

28427_124833354217149_100000714551690_175059_6966667_n.jpg

From Alaska to Tierra del Fuego
The adventure of Gianni Reinaudo and Gisella Montabone will begin on August 6 Prudhi Bay from October 8 to finish in Ushuaia , the capital of the Argentine province of Tierra del Fuego
Their mode of transport for these will be a 30,000 km Stelvio 1200 by our team equipped with special bumpers, engine guards and auxiliary tank to provide maximum support to the two pilots ;
The motorcycle will be equipped with devices manufactured by the Austrian AVL for the analysis of performance and fuel economy.

Attachments

• Stelv-AuxTank1.jpg
    Stelv-AuxTank1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,970
  • Stelv-AuxTank2.jpg
    Stelv-AuxTank2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,973
Hmm... I wonder how (or if) it is plumbed into the system? I could not find any actual info about it other than price.

492 E = $680 USD. MG Cycle carries the Stucci Luigi line. I wonder if they'll be able to get it. I'm also wondering what volume it holds. Looks to me like somewhere around 1-2 gallons. And you're right. Plumbing is the other big unanswered question. It's obviously sitting much too low for a gravity feed. It'll need some sort of pump and shut-off valve config. The other pic on their site shows the tank with the pannier mounted. That's good news. And it also looks to be mounted such that it won't hit the CARC under serious off-road conditions or pot holes. We'll have to wait for someone to give it a serious work out before that can be confirmed.

You sure it's "too low for a gravity feed?"

I would have said that the bottom of the auxiliary tank was above the fuel pump although obviously I'm just going from the pictures and haven't laid a level across it ....?

If the bottom of the aux tank was at fuel pump level, and the top of it was at the level of the main fuel tank cap, you wouldn't need to do ANYthing except run one line and a vent, to hook it up ...

Lannis

Supplemental aluminum fuel tank for Stelvio 1200. Fuel tank holds 9 liters, approximately 2.4 US gallons. Complete system pumps fuel from the auxiliary tank to the main tank at the push of a button on the handlebar. Microprocessor controlled spill protection prevents overflow and stops fuel flow in the event of a tip over. Depending on riding conditions, the additional fuel in this kit can give your Stelvio a total range of 250+ miles between fill ups. Convenient filler cap opens to rear for filling at the gas pump. Complete kit includes laser cut and TIG welded aluminum fuel tank, mounts and mounting hardware, handlebar switch, wiring, hoses, and instructions. Advanced aluminum alloys are used in fuel tank skin, the supporting brackets, and the fuel hose fittings. Fully tested in a 30,000km (18,640 mile) journey from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego completed in October 2010. Expected delivery in November 2010.

http://www.mgcycle.com/

Available here now!

Freakin' awesome.

Sounds like just the ticket.

I would like to see them put a locking gas cap on it though. Just to make sure someone doesn't pour anything other than gasoline in there when it's parked.

Indeed! It sounds like the perfect answer for many who have voiced displeasure with the limited fuel capacity of the Stelvio. Well done S/L!

On another note, I wonder if that couple is going to have any kind of blog or site about their trip. Sounds fantastic.

Tassie Mike said:
Reckon I need a new rear shock before my NTX would deal with the extra weight.

I noticed the bike in the video has an Ohlins.

Whats up with the airbox, is that the new one on the '10?

For those that wondered: The auxillary tank from Stucchi installs well with the GIVI tubular rack system. Their support bracket mounts in the same location, you just have to change how you attach it. The directions that come with tank system are like the You Tube video - in Italian, and as with all directions leave a bit to be desired but do help you get the job done. I installed it one day this week and have made one test ride after setting it up. I rode until the main tank level went down far enough for the low fuel light to come on. Then I pressed the aux tank handlebar switch, its indicator light came on green and the fuel in the auxillary tank was pumped into the main tank. At the end the indicator light turned red. Best I can tell at this point is the system only functions with the bike running and when the low fuel light comes on.

Here are some photos of the tank with the GIVI tubular rack system and Pelican bags.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    799 KB · Views: 1,083
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    734.8 KB · Views: 1,083
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    740.2 KB · Views: 1,083
So, has anyone else installed the Stucchi tank setup yet? I've been pondering...

I also wondered if it would be cheaper just to get it from Italy. It's about $200 cheaper on Stucchi's website than from a well-known US dealer. I do realize that UPS gobbles up a good bit of cash carrying packages across the Atlantic but you'd be paying some shipping from the US folks too.

:D Just installed the Stucchi Aux. tank.. very slick...
Pain in the %&@%#@&%# to install. I have the 2010 model and there is less room due to the placement of the battery. Things don't quite route the way they intended. Ended up running the switch wire on left side of bike,, managed to get the fuel line on right. US model has a frustrating vent hose of some kind that runs up to the gas fill cap and just dies by the gas cap (on right side, not drain line), interferes nicely with the routing of the fuel line, but it fits. Lots of fun getting the new STIFF fuel cap grommet flange through the plastic trim, the native one is all rubber the new a rubber and aluminum hybrid, managed to zip tie in together and work it through.. This will all make sense to them who do the install.
Wouldn't it be nice to have just a little more room for all our gadgets under the seat! It's starting to look like a garage sale under there!! :D

I have discovered how this tank works from a Guzzi mechanic in St. Louis, Missouri. The circuitry works as follows. The aux tank pump works only when the low fuel light is lit AND the third bar of the fuel gauge has gone out. I tried fueling soon after the low fuel light illuminated and nothing would ever happen. I kept returning to the wiring not ever finding the problem. The mechanic siphoned most all of the gas out of the tank allowing none of the bars to remain and the tank worked time after time.
The instructions might tell you this but I do not speak Italian. I also found the wiring harness too long and had it cut down and that the connectors were very cheap and many times did not provide a secure locked connection.
Concerning the handlebar switch. When you press the switch the light illuminates green until all the fuel has been transfered then changes to red. If you start the bike with an empty aux tank the switch will illuminate red as the computer checks the circuitry to warn you it needs to be filled then go out. In a normal riding mode the aux tank gives no indication at all that it is on or will work.
Stucchi indicates that the tanks works well with the Guzzi side bag rack and boxes which are made by Traxx but I had to have my Hepco Becker rack reconfigured as the tank interfered with the lower mount. Aside from these minor irritations I like the unit very well. It can never overfill and pumps the entire content of the aux tank in one load. I hope Stucchi will provide instructions in English in the future and improve the wiring harness and connectors. I'm ready to ride! I will post pictures on 3/10/11.

AuxTank138-vi.jpg

AuxTank134-vi.jpg

AuxTank139-vi.jpg

The most difficult step was to get the new rubber filler insert through the top tank cover piece as the cover has a tank vent and an overfill drain that must be hooked to the cover. The rubber is very stiff and the vent and overfill lines are short. Be ready to be frustrated during this task.
The wiring instructions are in Italian but I followed the pictures. The pictures don't show you that the wiring harness attaches to the existing fuel injection circuit so I'll have to thank http://www.vespastl.com for having a great shop and mechanic! The instructions and wiring harness could be better but otherwise I love the tank.
After the low fuel light comes on you still must wait for all three bars on the fuel gauge to go out then you hit the switch and the aux tank pumps all of the gas in the aux tank to your main tank. Once you hit the switch it cannot be cancelled. When all of the gas is transfered the switch light turns red to remind you your aux tank is empty.
I do suggest even if you don't run side bags buy a rack for the bags and run with them. If you go down on the tank side I don't think it would make it unharmed. This tank makes buying a 2011 new 'large tank' Stelvio unnecessary!!

Back