• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Clank in the CARC

cog2803

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
I had the rear wheel suspended the other day doing some cleaning and whatnot. I had cleaned around the speed sensor and wanted to see if it was still operating properly. I started the engine, selected first, released the clutch. As the rear wheel turned, ever so often I would hear a very disturbing and loud "clank" coming from the CARC.

I do recall that the other shaft drive bike I had, a Kawaski Concours would make a little noise from the shaft drive assembly in the same situation . . . but this sounded a bit nasty.

The bike is a 07 Griso 1100 with 11,000+ miles. When ridden at slow speeds I can't really hear anything out of the ordinary. It doesn't fall under the VIN number for the CARC recall.

I'm guessing that this is outside the normal clank and clunk of Guzzis but I don't have a point of reference.

Pulling the back end of the CARC off (four bolts, disconnecting the locator arm and freeing the brake and speed sensor lines) seems simple enough. It sounds like time to inspect the shaft and splines, yes? I also noted on one of Pete Ropers threads that there was a problem with the locking washer on some Norges not being applied properly and one can check it as well with the CARC off. I wll give that a look as well.

Rule # 1

Do not run the motor and engage the transmission in any gear while on the center stand, You are chasing a problem that is not there.

I like the way Rule #1 sounds.

Out of curiosity then - it's due to there not being a load on the drivetrain?

cog2803 said:
I like the way Rule #1 sounds.

Out of curiosity then - it's due to there not being a load on the drivetrain?

That and the un sprung weight and angle with the rear wheel off the ground, same rule applies to the non Carc Guzzis which is the quickest way to ruin a U-Joint.

Why do people insist on doing this? I mean? You wouldn't put a radiant heater in the icebox of your fridge and then complain that it never got cold would you? Maybe you would! I dunno!

The Guzzi twin is a 90 degree engine with a shared crankpin for both rods/cylinders. This gives firing intervals of 270 and 450 degrees of crank rotation. The Concours is an inline four with 180 degree firing intervals. While it too will protest from its driveline if it is run under zero load and it is out of tune the accelerative and decelerative forces acting on the Guzzi driveline are much more pronounced. Each time a cylinder fires the crank accelerates. As the other cylinder compresses its charge the crank slows down. Add in the uneven nature of the firing order, (It is what gives a 90 degree twin its distinctive sound.) and a very light flywheel and backlash in the dogs of the gearbox and driveline combined with cush drives and if you try to idle it without any load the thing is going to lash and clank and rattle like there is no tomorrow!

DON'T DO IT!

Pete

Advice well taken - and thanks for the more in depth explanation as to the how and why of it all. A day that one is made wiser is a very good day.

cog2803 said:
Advice well taken - and thanks for the more in depth explanation as to the how and why of it all. A day that one is made wiser is a very good day.

That is every day for me! For the past eight months I've been learning a lot about air rifles; how to use them, dismantle them and tune them. I'm amazed at how crudely they're made and assembled. They remind me of older Guzzis - as they used to say, "If you want a good one, buy it new and then rebuild it carefully." Wait a minute, the aptly named CARC unit and "the evil stepper-motor"may fall into the same camp! At least troublesome mechanical things keep us off the streets and interested! Boring people ride Hondas. Bored people prefer Guzzis.......

Back