• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rotopax on Stelvio anyone?

John in PA

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I've been looking at the rotopax as an emergency fuel cell for the Stelvio. I've thought about attaching the quick-tach device to the inside of the right sidecase. I don't really care to put one on top of the topcase, though that's an option also. i'd rather have the weight down lower. I also wondered about the underside(s) of both side cases.
The sidecases I'm talking about are the euro-only Norge-type cases, not the Ammo can cases provided on the NTX and offered as optional equipment in the US.

I have been looking into the same. I'm not sure that the Rotopax will fit behind the saddle bags, I have the Trax bags? A round gas can would be sleek.. slid out of a bracket when needed.
Has anybody out there tried to mount Rotopax or other behind the Saddle bags? :D

pnguzzi said:
I have been looking into the same. I'm not sure that the Rotopax will fit behind the saddle bags, I have the Trax bags? A round gas can would be sleek.. slid out of a bracket when needed.
Has anybody out there tried to mount Rotopax or other behind the Saddle bags? :D

Here's a pic from the banner on the Rotopax site with the 1 gal pax on the back of trax-type bags.

motorcycle.jpg

John in PA said:
pnguzzi said:

Here's a pic from the banner on the Rotopax site with the 1 gal pax on the back of trax-type bags.

motorcycle.jpg

I agree, that is one of the better Rotopax solution, however the Trax bags have the laches on the rear, so no mounty there! :( The top would be ackward since there are Trax soft storage bags mounts on there and it would add quite a lot of weight as well up high. The only place I have seen them mounted that somewhat slick is under the Trax bags.
However.... :p there has to be a tank of some sort that can sneak in behind the bags... soooo much room there :D

I carried a 2 gallon roto pax on my x country trip this summer. I went back and forth on which size to use and pondered all the mounting options shown on their web page. I never have a pillion so I decided to KISS and just bungee the 2 gallon pax across the passenger seat. I use soft luggage I've had for years and this not only kept the weight in an acceptable location, but also provided a great base for the bags that positioned them perfectly (bonus ref the exhaust side). Zero problems with leaks, shifting or leaking and the peace of mind was great. I came into so many stations on fumes (180-200 miles traveled) and didn't have my riding spoiled by constantly thinking about gas by the time I traveled an hour from the previous fill up. BTW, trip was 10.5K miles and she has appx 18K on her at just shy of a year old. Finally broken in and running like a freight train!

Cheers

The Rorpax won't fit inboard of the Trax bags. I'm still looking for a solution, I'm hesitant to drill holes in my rather expensive panniers. One plan is to fabricate a plate that will hang on the Trax pannier mounts to put a Rotopax or 2 on when I'm not carrying the Trax's. Another thought is to find a way to strap on top of panniers without drilling, probably with a rubber pad under to keep from marring the tops. So far, I haven't really found a solution I like.

I have made some brackets that fit into where the pillion pegs would go and I have strapped two five liter fuel cans into them. If I knew how to post photos on this site I would display the photos. I may be able to send photos to private e-mails.

I have the GIVI side case brackets and can't figure out a way to install a 1 gal Rotopax fuel cell on the inside of the right bracket.
The exhaust is taking space on the inside of the left bracket.
The right has enough space but need some sort of mounting plate or something. :dry:

Under development! :unsure:

Here's my solution, it fits just right, and I can open the box no problem.
Just remember to put a piece of steel sheet inside the box to reinforce it and prevent distortion

It doesn't get in the way when I'm riding either (only solo, it wouldn't work with a passenger)
2002_0101Rally100007.jpg

the two largest bottles would add about a 1/2 gallon of gas....ya, i get it, not enough for the serious adventurer, but enough possibly for the casual weekender. the question becomes, what about adding two bottles to the INSIDES of each of your panniers (one gal total)?

just a thought for those who might need much needed range.

41zZOQDvakL._SS500_.jpg

That's my current emergency fuel supply solution. I have two of the 30 oz MSR bottles duct-taped together and keep them in a top or side case, depending on how I'm packed. they have come in handy once or twice either for myself or a friend traveling along. It's usually enough gas to get you to the next station or highway exit. Very easy(!) to move from bike to bike, too.

I've got an idea on how to pack a 1 gal Rotopax inboard of my right sidecase mount, but it may involve attaching the mount to the sidecase itself. I've just got to get my hands on a unit and mount to sit down with the bike and puzzle it out.

I purchase a GIVI Monokey side case support without the cases. :lol:
I already had a topcase on the bike and I really didn't want to install the fuel pack that high up.
I wanted to keep the bike's esthetics too. :cool: ........ So .........Cory (coldcanuck) gave me an idea for space available on the right inside, opposite the exhaust.
I finally got my brain into gear to figure out how to install at least one gallon Rotopax on the Stelvio.

Here’s an idea to add to this thread.

After I installing the bracket the gas pack had a tendency to rotate so I installed 2 self tapping screws to the GIVI tubular support.

I tried my topcase on the side supports and the 4 bolts holding the bracket JUST clears the casing. :pinch:

Cheers

Attachments

• Rotopax1.JPG
    Rotopax1.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 811
  • Rotopax2.jpg
    Rotopax2.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 804
  • Rotopax3.jpg
    Rotopax3.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 802
That is a great solution - good thinking DanPez, I like that one a LOT ! This will work great with the standard NTX (Trax) luggage too. Top work and great pictures :)

Ray R said:
Does it clear the CARC under compression?

Very good question Ray ....... I didn't think about that ...hee,hee...hee,hee. :whistle:
I checked it out this morning and clearance is good. phew!

Just to let everyone know I am using a 1gal fuel cell. (3" thick)
The pic was taken on the centerstand and I used a pendulum to check any interference but the measurements were taken with the wheels on the floor.

The tire travels 6" before hitting rear fender.

Between points A I have 10.5" of travel before rubbing the CARC dust cover and 7" travel from the bottom of the fuel cell to the bevel gear bearing case before hit.

Thanks for heads up. ;)

Edit: I am using the GIVI Monokey side-case support bracket (part# 076-PL708) and because of the mounting I can only use the GIVI Monokey side cases:
http://www.givi.ca/en/gamme_vue.php?select=k

Note: The bottom tubular support height will vary if it is not the GIVI support part# above.

Attachments

• Rotopax4.jpg
    Rotopax4.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 763
Looks great !!
Will the stock Guzzi (Trax) bags still fit on the rack?

Hey Dan,

That looks great. However, given you don't have any Givi bags to test the bracket with bags attached, are you sure you will be able to mount some Givi panniers with that bracket?

If it does that's cool. Maybe I will install one and we can do a trip to Vermont and haul back a gallon of whiskey each with those things!

Cory

Back