• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fuel additives???

SlickT

Tuned and Synch'ed
My manual says to never use a fuel additive. I'm sure because of the sensor or such, but Stabil or an octane booster will most definitely have no effect except better for the bike I am guessing. Does anyone use additives with no problems? Problems? Experience? I've been using them in my other bikes for 10 years with no problems, I imagine the Guzzi will take them just fine, I just don't want any lights to come on. Thanks, Happy Thanksgiving.

For winter storage I've used Stabil over a couple of winters- with no problems. I hear its more useful in preventing problems with carbs rather than then our fuel injection. With all the Ethanol we have nowadays it can only help. It's supposed to work by placing a film over the top of the gas keeping air from reacting with the fuel. Even with Stabil it might be a good idea to start up the bike every two weeks or so and let it really "heat up".

Can't say I've used an Octane booster, I just go for the high test and leave it at that.

geebee said:
For winter storage I've used Stabil over a couple of winters- with no problems. I hear its more useful in preventing problems with carbs rather than then our fuel injection. With all the Ethanol we have nowadays it can only help. It's supposed to work by placing a film over the top of the gas keeping air from reacting with the fuel. Even with Stabil it might be a good idea to start up the bike every two weeks or so and let it really "heat up".

Can't say I've used an Octane booster, I just go for the high test and leave it at that.

Actually not a good idea to just let in run until really warm at idle or even just slightly above, nothing like a good road trashing to burn off the moisture that is created and maybe be turned into mayonnaise. Best is just to let it sit with whatever fuel stabilizer you choose, I do hear good things about Starbrite with the ethanol formula though. I know it hard not to just start er up and listen to some sweet music, more harm then good IMHO.

Well, I'll still start my bike up every 2 weeks or so, and not for the sound. I don't want to get into details but let's just say it has something to do with the growth/reproductive rates of your common field mouse.

One other bit of advice-when you start up the bike during that winter 2-week time frame, try not to have the tail end pointing towards the girlfriends driver side door. Aim that Staintune out towards the back yard.... :eek:hmy:

geebee said:
Well, I'll still start my bike up every 2 weeks or so, and not for the sound. I don't want to get into details but let's just say it has something to do with the growth/reproductive rates of your common field mouse.

One other bit of advice-when you start up the bike during that 2-week winter time frame try not not to have the tail end pointing towards the girlfriends driver side door. Aim that Staintune out towards the back yard.... :eek:hmy:

MOTHBALLS ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have used fuel additives ranging from just octane booster & I'll plug Redline here even though I don't use their lubricants at all, I have used Lucas & others used nitro additive, worked fantastic but expensive & I use pretty much on a regular basis AVGas 100LL. If I use pump fuel I try to get non-ethanol fuels if can't than I use StarTron.
No I'll issues at all.

Griso Guy said:
I have used fuel additives ranging from just octane booster & I'll plug Redline here even though I don't use their lubricants at all, I have used Lucas & others used nitro additive, worked fantastic but expensive & I use pretty much on a regular basis AVGas 100LL. If I use pump fuel I try to get non-ethanol fuels if can't than I use StarTron.
No I'll issues at all.
You realize the lead in the Avgas will coat the O2 sensor and reduce its ability to work correctly....

I am no expert in AVgas but way too many years ago, my father trashed his Crosley by running AVgas in it. He worked for Flying Tigers in the SF Bay area and had free access to AVgas. Destroyed his little Crosley engine.

So stay away from Avgas, but other additives sound ok. Gonna bear the 28 degrees here in NJ today and take the 8v out one last time, fill the tank, Stabil it, and remove her battery. Enjoy the winter fellas, happy Holidays.

Cat City Rider said:
I am no expert in AVgas but way too many years ago, my father trashed his Crosley by running AVgas in it. He worked for Flying Tigers in the SF Bay area and had free access to AVgas. Destroyed his little Crosley engine.

I don't get on much, so sorry for the very late question I am asking.
What actually happened to your fathers Crosley engine? Strange that he a failure with just a fuel. Was there a burnt piston or what? If you remember!!!
I have been using AVGas 100LL in every vehicle I had ever owned, including my Husqvarna chain saw with Max 2 cycle. Vehicles used in is as follows, 2, different 69 442, 69 Hurst/Olds, Opel GT, 93 Ducati 900ss, & of course the Griso. I even used it in my both of my Volvo 740's. Of course I gutted the catalytic converter.

As with my Griso 1100 I removed the air box, & using K&N air filters with many guys stating that it will or should run like a pig but in fact it runs great. A mechanic friend loves how quick it rev's. Everyone likes the way it looks as do I.

Thanks for your time.
Doug

Back