• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge won't run after upgrades

3geese

Just got it firing!
I have just installed ECU, PCV, Autotune, O2 sensor, airbox lid and muffler on a previously running Norge. After battery hookup, I can turn on the ignition and fuel pump cycles, dash waves it's needles and flashes. When I hit the start button, bike seems to start normally, fires once or twice, then stops. completely dead....blown 30A main fuse. In the small 2 fuse holder that hangs loose by it wires. I have checked & rechecked all connectors and have found only 1 small exposed spot on 1 of the red wires going to this fuse, no burns or other signs of arcing. Have repeated 4 or 5 times with exactly the same result.
Have taken the bike apart again and am debating whether to re-do everything or re-install the stock ECU w/o PCV to see if she will run.
Anyone have any suggestions ?

1) fuel pump is running, line had gas when I removed the tank a second time
2) have replaced the fuse and checked connections 4 times now

did u disturb any of the connections going to the generator up by the ecu...I just did the ecu reinstall and almost pinched a wire up under the steering head on reinstall. is the service triangle coming on when it dies....error code......????

Dan

no service codes or warning lights, dash appears to operate normally (I can toggle thru odo, mpg, etc). I am currently looking at wiring diagram....fuse in question does have circuit connections to generator, dash connector and aux 12V plug. hoping to NOT tear apart wire harness in that nightmare near the steering head. going out to the garage later.

James, never heard of a fuse issue before, that one's new to me. I'm leaning towards something is pinched as well. Regardless, replace the fuse and unplug the PC-V by plugging the stock injector plugs back in to the injectors, and report back.

Finally some progress ! after much assembly-disassembly-reassembly, have determined that the problem is not with the PCV upgrades at all. while everything was apart, I decided to remove the exhaust header and check the sidestand. As luck would have it, mine was tight. Just for peace of mind I removed it and reinstalled using loc-tite, I also used a thin washer to shim the pivot bolt. apparently I have reassembled wrong or there is a short somewhere in the switch or wiring to it because when I tried to start it one last time today (after replacing fuse #7 or 8), I put the kickstand down (just to try something different) and she started and kept running without popping a fuse !
On that note, I am quitting for the day. Will post findings tomorrow.

Sounds like maybe your your problem may in the headlight. Try starting it on High beam after replacing the blown fuse. If it runs then you have a short on the low beam circuit which was an issue with the Norge.

Just out of curiosity, why did you have all of this stuff out of the bike in the first place? Did you install the same equipment you took out back in?

jmac851 said:
Just out of curiosity, why did you have all of this stuff out of the bike in the first place? Did you install the same equipment you took out back in?
'
He took out the ECU to send to Todd for the re-flash upgrade....And he added a PVC with Autotune @ same time....

I am happy to report this problem solved. So after much thought I went to the garage and began to take the Norge apart. Again. All of the body work, tank and nose. went over every step and checked wires and connections of all the new parts . keyed up, hit the starter, and every thing worked. Apparently only while the bike was in pieces would it run. Then I started to reattach things, starting the bike after reconnecting the abs switch, hefted the nose up, connected the light harness and blew the fuse. took the rubber boots off of the lights and checked connections, every thing looked ok, but the meter showed a short. started removing bulbs when I found the when I disassembled the body to get to the ECU I must have hit the back of the left side low beam light. Just enough to bend the little metal cage "protecting" the hot terminal of the bulb and caused a short. (when I thought the sidestand switch had been a problem before, the nose was not attached and the bike started).
All of the parts I installed seem to work perfectly. I am amazed at how much the package changes the character of the motor. I was convinced 1/2 a mile down the road from my house on the first test. Sounds great, runs better already. No more loud popping, no more bucking and kicking in traffic. On to riding and mapping.
Thanks Todd !

Back