• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Classic taller bars

AncientMariner

Just got it firing!
I'm 5'-8", 63 yrs young. I recently had my skeleton rearranged under a flailing Vstrom. My left shoulder blade and collar bone were still mending when I got my V7 Classic to replace the Vstrom. The first few rides made be think that the bars were set a little too low and forward for me. I got a standard old school Yamaha bar that's shaped something like a flat track bar to replace it. Cables are a bit short to accommodate the swap, so the bar rests in a corner of the garage for now. I got a quote for brake hose and cables (clutch, starter, throttle) for the Nevada. Pretty dear. As my shoulder health recovers, I find the riding posture less stressful. Before I invest in longer cables, what I want to ask all of you is whether any have found better comfort with a taller bar and whether the Nevada bar has been put on a V7 Classic and how satisfactorily? With luck, I'll eventually loosen up to the point where the standard bar is acceptable. Without it, adjustments may be required. Thanks.
1053177383_RyNSP-M.jpg

The Weestrom in the garage isn't the bike that landed on me. That was an older DL1000, totalled by the insurance company.

Hi

I'd be interested in the answers to this one too. I've found on my V7C the relationship between the bars and footrests feels a bit cramped. Even after moving the bars to their highest point it feels like another inch or so higher would be more relaxed and comfortable.

I changed the bars on my V7C, though I went with lower and less swept back 'bars to make more room (also prefer to lean into the wind). I got the LSL "sport tourer" bars, but they also make wider and higher bars in loads of styles:

http://www.lsl-motorradtechnik.de/php/index.php (click 'Lenker', then select Produktgruppe 'Sportlenker')

http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/handlebars.cfm

Only problem is the two knurled bands around the bars don't line up with the Guzzi clamps (I plan to fit a Breva one-piece bar clamp to hide this).

I added 1 inch bar risers (no need for new cables) Brought the bars up and back about 1 1/2 inches. Then added slip on grip puppy's to relieve the tension of the small grips in my arthritic fingers. These mods made the riding position more up right and comfortable for this 5'9 in 71 year old geezer :lol:

Attachments

• DSCN1482.JPG
    DSCN1482.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 709
  • DSCN1483.JPG
    DSCN1483.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 710
  • DSCN1484.JPG
    DSCN1484.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 711
  • DSCN1485.JPG
    DSCN1485.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 710
sign216 said:
I'm 5'8" and for a while I was looking at these bars: http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/handlebars.cfm

In the end I re-adjusted the stock bars and I've been happy with that.

Paxo, I haven't felt cramped, but could see how others might. How tall are you?

Hi, I'm about 5' 9", but I do have a bad back so I like to sit a bit more upright. The first time I rode it home I got a bad cramp in my thigh but that hasn't happened since. It just feels like the angle between my arms and legs is slightly wrong. Pity it's not possible to adjust the footrests and maybe a set of resets would be better, but changing the bars is probably cheaper! Cheers.

oldmanjob said:
I added 1 inch bar risers (no need for new cables) Brought the bars up and back about 1 1/2 inches. Then added slip on grip puppy's to relieve the tension of the small grips in my arthritic fingers. These mods made the riding position more up right and comfortable for this 5'9 in 71 year old geezer :lol:

That looks like a good move. Who did you get those from?
Cheers, Paxo

They are GenMar Universal 1 inch risers for 7/8" bars. I got them through California Sport Touring cost was 65.96. I have bought other things from this company and have been well satisfied.

https:/casporttouring.com

Bill

sign216 said:
I'm 5'8" and for a while I was looking at these bars: http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/handlebars.cfm

In the end I re-adjusted the stock bars and I've been happy with that.

Paxo, I haven't felt cramped, but could see how others might. How tall are you?

I appreciate all the feedback. I'm still hoping that someone out there knows of a successful grafting of Nevada bars onto a Classic. I adjusted my stock bars upward and it is improved. Time will tell is it's enough.

The Spiegler site's measurements are handy for comparison, especially since they show how the measurements are made. The Yamaha bar, 1J7-26111-00, is 29-1/2" wide, 4-1/2" rise, 7-1/2" pull back. It's the stock bar for my 1980 SR500. There is a plate welded in the clutch end, recessed about 1/4". It might be thick enough to tap for the counterweight mounting screw? The throttle side, if not both, would need an anchor to be improvised for the counterweight. This bar has more pull back than any of the Spiegler items on that page, making it pretty grandpa-friendly, methinks. The bill, if I got Nevada cables from MG, would be about 218 bucks. A Nevada bar, if I wanted to go that way, would be another 104 bucks. The Yamaha bar was 78 bucks.

I got rid of the bar end weights. No problem at all with vibration.

If you don't know for sure, there's a cheap way to test the 1" higher position, to see if it works:

1093852000_f3c2090437.jpg

1092996335_fe599b21e9.jpg

Had it for a season while I was suffering from a frozen shoulder.
Back to normal now :woohoo:

Thanks oldmanjob! 1 inch GenMar raisers ordered this afternoon from Sportstouring in snowbound Wales.

Back