• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

total power loss on Norge

kenrad

Just got it firing!
I was driving down the freeway when the Norge lost all power and came to a stop. Had it towed to the dealer who after several weeks diagnosed the problem as the low beam headlights were shorting out the main power. Someone on the Guzzi chat line stated there was a total recall in the United States for this exact problem. I sent a copy to my dealer who was unaware of it, and so was Motto Guzzi Canada. Fortunately I have an excellent mechanic , Paul, at British Italian Motorcycles in Vancouver, B C who was able to get me on the road again. I have still not received a recall letter from Motto Guzzi Canada. They seem to be very slow in informing us riders of potentially dangerous problems.

My Norge was one of the first ones to have this problem, fixed it myself before there was a recall. I still have not received a recall letter, although the dealer I use said he is getting the fix from MG to do the job, basically a piece of shrink tube.
On another note, I ordered from the dealer the Tom-Tom Rider GPS unit and that has not come in to date, it has been about a month. As far as I know MG does not make them so I have to wonder what the holdup is on that.

My Norge suffered the total failure over a year ago. There are 2 design problems with the low beams. First, the bulb wire lays against the metal tang that the bulb retainer clips to. Vibration will eventually wear the insulation resulting in a dead short to ground, blowing the 30A fuse. Second, the connection to the harness is inside the rubber boot, unlike the high beam which is connected outside the boot. This results in a lot of stuff being crammed into a small place making it difficult arrange the wires in an orderly fashion. I rebuilt my low beams to connect outside the boot allowing much more space to place the wires on the inside. The downside is that I can't qualify for the recall as I cut off the stock harness plug doing the mod. I carry a spare low bulb on the bike with a 3" wire built for my system. Pictures of the procedure were posted on the old site.

If anyone should suffer the blown fuse shutdown, flip the lights to high, replace the fuse, and be on your merry way.

Hello:

The head lamp issue is a known problem and the subject of a recall... My was done under warranty when the 6k service was performed

sbaker wrote:
Hello:

The head lamp issue is a known problem and the subject of a recall... My was done under warranty when the 6k service was performed
But only in the USA as far as I can tell. Certainly no suggestion of any recall in the UK.

However, I added my own bit of additional sleeving to the wire.

Awesome now mine just did it. I was just about to leave the house 5 minutes ago. I did get the recall notice. That is what I get for not jumping on the fix. Oh well laziness claims another victim.

actually just a loose terminal but I will get the light thing fixed right away.

I have not gotten the letter yet by my dealer saw a notice and searched my VIN and it came up so he ordered in the parts and a take it in Saturday. They had this happen to a Norge traveling thorugh town about a year and a half ago. Went through a few fuses before they figured it out.

If they'd been reading this forum, they'd have known. There's still a thread up on the grandmother forum archives about Norge preflight checks that lists this issue.

(archive index is here, be sure to stop the page-loading before it transfers to the new forum site.)

Well, better late than never I guess, and sorry if I'm resurrecting an old string, but this is the closest if found with a search.

I had a sudden total power loss, but it only lasted about a second, then power returned. This happened again about 4 times as I was puttering along Skyline Drive, about 80 degrees F, and about 40 mph, about a quarter tank of gas. I had a bike when there were reserve switches so am familiar with a fuel starvation loss of power. This was sudden and complete, no warning lights, tach and speedo still working (if that helps with the diagnosis). Seems the short that resulted in the recall blows the fuse. If not, please let me know, I didn't receive a recall letter for my 2007 Norge.

I thought it was probably electronics reacting poorly to the heat in the engine (some long uphill pulls) but this seemed to happen on fairly level areas.

I live on a mountain (well, an east coast "mountain") with about a 1700' rise in altitude over 3 miles. This heats my truck's transmission up over 40 degrees, but keeping the Norge in 1st or 2nd to keep the revs up, no problems getting home that day. It has only happened that one drive. I'm perplexed.

Can the hive mind help? Thanks, David

Did you blow a fuse? Why did you mention that recall? As for the loss of power, check the fuel lines in the tank. Usually when they go, the engine dies and doesn't run until repaired but you might have had momentary fuel pressure loss. Also check the electrical connector to the fuel pump. The connector may need cleaning.

No fuse blown. The recall I mentioned was noted earlier in the thread. I wasn't sure if there was an intermittent, versus complete, loss of power caused by the fault, a blow fuse.

I'll look at the fuel pump. That was one of my thoughts as well. Thanks for the reply.

Back