• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Moving to the area (?)

robertmtz

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello to all. I'm a Norge owner presently based in LA. (Todd has done some fabulous work on my bike.) It looks like I'm moving to the DC area early next year and if all goes well, I figure to bring the Norge across around April 1. I thought I would ask about dealers, rider groups, etc., in the area, so I can start to get acclimated.

Best wishes for the holiday -
Bob M

DSCN0532_0166.jpg

There is only one dealer in the DC area in the state of Maryland. Speed's is on the south side of Baltimore. They are a Ducati dealer that sells Guzzi. They don't keep much Guzzi around. But they do have most basic parts and a mechanic who loves the older Guzzi's.
There is also a shop out past Fredrick. I have not been there.
There is also a shop north of Baltimore up into Pa called Europa Macchina. They are a vintage Porsche shop that sells and services Guzzi's. I like them.
Steel Horse in Williamsburg, Va sounds like a good dealer but they are a bit far from me so I have not been there.
Winchester Motorsports in Winchester, Va is still listed as a dealer, not sure if they still are. Again, too far from me.
I am on the south side of Baltimore (right near Speed's). There are a few Guzzi riders around but I am not a group rider kind of guy (actually have had bad "group ride" experiences). The wife and I tend to feel like our own private Guzzi club when we ride.
If/when you end up here feel free to give me a shout. I would be happy to show you the roads I know.

Guzzimoto covered the dealers in the area, none of which can come close to Todd, so that's the bad news. I'm not sure about the one in Winchester, VA though, when I went to purchase my Stelvio almost 2 yrs ago, they couldn't order one. I ended up purchasing from Steelhorse just southeast of Williamsburg, VA.

If your feet land you in VA give me a shout and we can hook up and I can show you some of the boring roads in VA and WV :lol:

MD, VA & WV all have Guzzi State Rallies. Since I am fairly new to Guzzi, I will not comment on liking or disliking the event. Let's just say there are a lot of older people (I'm 58 yrs old) that like to sit around and drink beer, tell lies, etc., that's not my thing. After the wife and I finish riding for the day is when I break out the adult beverage.

My wife and I both ride our own bikes and we normally set a route and explore, we don't do the group thing, that's not to say that I haven't had 23 Moto Guzzi's following us at last years VA State Rally on the way to lunch some 130 miles away from Rally Headquarters.

My best suggestion is to purchase what is called the Gazetter (sp?) Atlas of VA or MD or WV, I think they are published by Delorme, they run $12.95. They will have anything from a super highway to a goat trail marked out. Anything with a dashed or dotted line I would stay off of with your Norge though :eek: :eek: they can get pretty rough.

Thanks for the info, Kurt. I figure to arrive (without bike) around the 16th. I doubt I will move the bike before April 1. My research suggests there are enough dealers and other mechanics around that I'll have a fair shot of keeping the bike running. I'm looking forward to getting to know the area.

I'll be in further touch ...

Bob

I'm in Richmond, two to four hours south of DC (depending on traffic in Northern VA).

Steelhorse is a great dealer. I bought my Norge from them in March '08. I have 40K miles on it. Steelhorse is doing a bunch of maintenance for me as we speak (all fluids, valves, air/oil/fuel filters, a light bulb replacement, alternator belt replacement, rear brake pads, spark plugs...). Winchester is no longer a dealer. In fact, Steelhorse is now the only VA dealer (2 years ago there were 5 in the state).

Great, great roads west of NOVA/DC! Also, the Virginia Guzzi rally in June is a great, not-to-miss rally. Check out the spring MD campout, too--lots of fun! Plus, there's an MD rally in September near Williamsport, MD.

Thanks for the info re Steelhorse. just spent a couple of weeks in Rockville, MD and went to visit Battley Cycles in Gaithersburg. I was very impressed; though they don't carry Guzzi, I felt they could handle minor items. Glad to hear there is good riding and group opps. I am going to start moving gear East in Feb and may borrow a bike for some exploration. Doubtful I will move the Guzzi before 1 Apr.

Highlighting kwn306, get a free VA state map (or two) here:
http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/maporder.asp

In my travels, I believe it's the best state map for motorcycling yet. Its information design is clean, well-done, and easy to read on the fly. Too, we have a system of Virginia Byways-->scenic roads around the state. On the map, those roads are marked in green.

Let us know when you get close--often April is perfect riding weather!

Myself and usually a few others in the Frederick/Hagerstown area ride nearly every weekend and you're welcome to ride up and join us. A "normal" day is wandering around VA/WV/MD/PA backroads trying to get lost with no particular destination in mind, breaking for lunch at small "home cooking" establishment and arriving back home before dark. We only usually average ~ 200 miles, no speed demons in the group, we're just out to explore and have a good time.

A couple of breakfast meets you might consider:
- 3rd Sunday of each month is the MD/DC Breakfast which is held at Ingram's Diner in Jefferson, MD.
- Breakfast at the "Stockyard" (the Livestock Grill at the Fauquier Livestock Exchange in Marshall, VA) is always fun. Great food and always some interesting bikes to look at and riders to chat with. Marshall is also a great "jumping off" point for some of the best riding in the area.

Edit 03/13/2011: Rode down to Marshall, VA today with a group of other guys anticipating the excellent Western Omelet at the Livestock Grill. My heart sank when we got to the intersection of Zulla Rd. and VA55 - there was only an empty lot where the livestock exchange building stood a mere few months ago. :shock: :cry: Only a construction (destruction?) trailer marked the spot. They had a fire back in the Fall that burned a section of the building, but it didn't effect the Grill. Apparently the owners decided to raze the old building and start fresh. I hope they're quick about it - I miss the great food and hangin' with all the local riders before heading off into the mountains to the west.

My thanks for the encouragement and information. I now have a temporary apartment in Rockville. I'm in California this week, cleaning up some loose ends - though I did get a nice ride on the Norge yesterday. (Weather is a plus here; traffic - not.)

I'll be back in the DC area mid-March and will bring a set of gear back. I don't expect to move the Guzzi until later in the Spring. There is some chance I will buy a used bike to get some wheels on the ground -- so if anyone knows of a good value in the DC/Baltimore area, let me know.

When I have wheels, I will be in touch and look forward to getting to know the area and the Guzzi community!

Bob

It is good to know that you are moving to a good area. I hope you will get enough riders and groups there.
Keep on biking friend!

WINCHESTER MOTOSPORTS is still a Guzzi dealer,and has a guy there that loves servicing the marque.
Carl is STILL Carl, So drop in and see him now that the weather is getting halfway decent again.

Back