• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Terblanche onward...

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Out from Piaggio...

Terblanche Joins Norton Motorcycles
Noted motorcycle designer joins British marque
By Motorcycle.Com Staff, Jan. 12, 2011

Norton Motorcycles has hired former Ducati designer Pierre Terblanche.
Terblanche is a former head designer for Ducati, credited for designing models such as the Supermono, the Hypermotard, the 888, the 999 and the original Multistrada. Terblanche left Ducati in 2007 and later resurfaced at Piaggio where he designed motorcycles such as the Moto Guzzi V12 concepts presented at the 2009 EICMA show.

“Pierre’s experience of bringing innovative new products to the marketplace will be a vital factor in developing the Norton range, whilst paying due respect to its traditions,” says Stuart Garner, chief executive officer of Norton Motorcycles. “Combining his flair for original concepts with Norton’s sporting traditions, will allow us to create a range of motorcycles bearing the historic Norton badge that will be unlike anything else in the marketplace.”

011211-terblanche-norton.jpg

Pierre Terblanche (left) joins Stuart Garner's Norton Motorcycles.

I think the new Nortons look great, and the MG concept bikes Terblanche designed were butt ugly.
Should be interesting to see what happens....

Terblanche is the 'son' of the Italian motorcycle industry and everything he touches it tainted with death.

The Romans had a way of dealing with Paricides (sp.). Perhaps its time to reintroduce some of the elements of the 'Pax Romana'.

Pete

What is there for him to do? .. Norton are supposed to be staying small/handbuilt outfit, therefore a single engine/frame makes most sense - the tank shape and paintscheme are loyal to those designed 40-50 years ago and should be left alone and the rest is just a case of throwing good quality components at it. Perhaps he will design fancy pegs, 1gram lighter wheels or a new seat unit..

of course if they let him loose on a fully faired redesign I can't see how he could come up with any twist any design student couldn't come up with, unless he is brave enough to go for an update of the 50s Guzzi dustbin fairings..

Art

He's the Italian Chris Bangle.
BMW has recovered and moved on and now hopefully Guzzi can do the same.
What he will do at Norton???? I love the new Norton (I would buy one if I could afford it) and hope they keep him away from the real bike and only let him design "styling exercises".
And I was not aware of PT having anything to do with the 851/888. I guess they needed something to balance out the 999.

Well having seen a couple of the new Nortons in the flesh, I personally think they are really nice looking bikes. Standby for some heinously ugly Nortons if they unleash his designs on the world. The original Multistrada alone should ensure his perpetual position in the unemployment line! Pete may have the answer.
fbc

Ha, Terblanche knocked it out of the park with his Supermono design, and then I think he spent the rest of his career at Ducati destroying Tamburini's and Bordi's jewels. So sad. I give Ducati a ton of credit for hitting the "reset" button with the 1098. Those years of the 999 were kinda like that time period when everyone wore leg warmers and acid washed jeans. Just because it's in fashion does not make it right...

I hope the best for Norton. I'm a huge Kenny Dreer fan, and was thinking about getting one of those bikes before I found my Guzzi. I owned a 998 for 6 years and I still think it was the high water mark in sportbike design. Absolutely magnificent looking motorcycle!

-Derek

GuzziMoto said:
He's the Italian Chris Bangle.
BMW has recovered and moved on and now hopefully Guzzi can do the same.

That about sums it up for me. I think Guzzi have had a lucky escape, and they still have Galluzi on board. As someone who lives just six miles from the new Norton factory though, it not good news that PT has arrived there.

Back