• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso Suspension sag.

armogida

Tuned and Synch'ed
Have read quite a bit about setting the Griso up correctly and now I have some base numbers to use thanks to this forum. My only question is do I set the sag first then the damping/rebound or what is the proper order? Does it matter? Thanks!

Always set the sag first... damping second as technically one effects the other, and sag is the baseline for proper suspension set up.

Thanks Todd. Should I back the compression and rebound all the way out (lightest) or all the way in before I set the sag or doesn't it matter?

I think he's going to say try both to get a feel for how it works & then go from there.

I have never bothered to do that (turn the adjusters all the way down). I reckon you could but I don't think it will make a noticeable difference.

OK here is my rational. Any holes drilled in the tubes for low, mid and high speed damp/rebound wouldn't come into effect til said suspension was in the proper range of motion. Hence it shouldnt matter where the settings are in regard to sag. If it did matter my thoughts are that one should adjust comp. first then sag. Shit, I don't know. It addition Todd I am trying to make a donation via PAYPAL but for some reason it wont go through?

To expand on what you just said, first you get the suspension movement in the proper range of the travel. This is done by setting sag. Once the suspension movement is in the proper range you can then adjust the dampening to control the suspension movement. This both improves the way the dampening adjustments work and helps prevent you from mistaking a suspension range issue (like bottoming the forks) for a dampening issue (like too much compression dampening).

Unless the dampening is set way too hard then I can't imagine it would effect the setting of the sag in a negative way. If you are at or near stock settings you should be fine setting the sag.

Cool video, but it bugs me when people refer to adding preload as making the spring stiffer. Unless you have a progressive spring or are talking about adding so much preload that the spring is "topped out" with the rider on board then preload only effects ride height.

I weigh 200 lbs and had to back front preload out to 7 lines showing. The stock settings made the bike reluctant to turn in and wide corner exits.

I added preload to the rear to achieve the same basic result. But I preferred the higher ride height for more clearance and smoother ride.

Front and rear sag need to be 25-30 mm with the rider on board. In stock form, there wasn't enough front sag for me but the rear was fine.

Mine had too much rear sag as delivered and slightly too much front sag. I weigh about 200 lbs.
Adding the rear sag leveled the bike out and fixed the handling.

Back