• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Brake Fluid change for a V7C - one way to do it.

Thanks Joe,

You obviously went to a lot of effort.

I used to work with a very, very good classic car mechanic. He once told me just to syphon out the fluid from the reservoir and not to worry about the fluid in the line.

His reasoning was:

1. The volume in the line is fairly small and some will be lost when the caliper is bled anyway.
2. Easy, quick, no mess so can be done more regularly.
3. M/C's can become pitted on the inside surface where the rubber seals don't slide. If you push the piston past their normal range of movement the seals get chewed out by the pitting.

Just another perspective.

Rod

Rod, I've got to say that the lines need to be bled out. That's where most of the air bubbles are, and it's not too much work to do it right.

Joe,

I liked your post and stated so. I'm just offering another perspective.

For a new bike like yours then there is probably no pitting so it wouldn't be an issue. For older gear it may be different and if you are in a situation that you have no other means to bleed then pump away by all means but I've always been taught to minimise it.

If the brakes feel fine and it is just time to replace the fluid then do so by sucking out the reservoir and refilling. Forget the rest.

If you need to bleed then a simple pressure system or vacuum system will be able to purge the whole system without the piston needing to move.

I have a compressor at home. I just fitted a suitably sized lid that would screw onto the master cylinder with an air inlet and with just a couple of psi the job is easily done. Others prefer using a vacuum system. Just use the syringe you showed in the pics to suck the fluid through. Others use a syringe at the bleed nipple to push fluid through. It really doesn't matter which one you prefer as they all work.

I like the pressure system as I have older bikes with the linked system. One attachment and two of the calipers are under pressure and ready to bleed.

Cheers

Morizzi that's a good idea to use the syringe to suck the fluid out. Or a compressor to push it out. Would make the fluid drain in seconds.

Quickly sucking the fluid out is more likely to strip out the air bubbles, and that's good. I'll try that for next time.

Thanks.

Joe,

The key to success is 'slow and easy.'

You only want a couple of psi pressure. Any more and the fluid can splash around. The pressure system can be done with a tyre valve and hand pump if that is what you have.

Rush fluid through an air filled tube too quickly and it will trap air and make bubbles. Keep it slow and the forward edge of the fluid will maintain its integrity and purge the air before it. Same goes for the vacuum system. Use the syringe in a nice easy smooth motion and it will be done first time.

If it doesn't want to come through just give the M/C piston a jiggle or move it slightly. Not always needed but sometimes.

Glad to be of help.

Rod

A few years back, I bought a Mityvac hand held vacuum pump, with a brake bleed kit. It makes draining/changing/bleeding brakes a doddle, even if you've completely drained the whole system.

It's a great solution for someone who does this maybe a couple of times a year and doesn't what to spend a huge amount on tools. Only catch is that it's easy to use a bit more fluid than if doing in by hand, at least until you get used to it. Oh, and they're just a bit stingy on the amount of tube they supply, but it's not hard to fix that problem.

I can't see the exact one I have on the web site, but this one looks like a newer version of the same thing:
MV8020

hvpk_MV8020.gif

40 UKP (~55 USD I think) in the UK, probably cheaper in the US.

icenian said:
A few years back, I bought a Mityvac hand held vacuum pump, with a brake bleed kit. It makes draining/changing/bleeding brakes a doddle, even if you've completely drained the whole system.

It's a great solution for someone who does this maybe a couple of times a year and doesn't what to spend a huge amount on tools. Only catch is that it's easy to use a bit more fluid than if doing in by hand, at least until you get used to it. Oh, and they're just a bit stingy on the amount of tube they supply, but it's not hard to fix that problem.

I can't see the exact one I have on the web site, but this one looks like a newer version of the same thing:
MV8020

hvpk_MV8020.gif

40 UKP (~55 USD I think) in the UK, probably cheaper in the US.

- and, as I stated both before and elsewhere - if you're using a similar but compressor-driven gadget, you won't even get sore hands by all that pumpin' and pressin'. :mrgreen:

Back