• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso wiring / aftermarket heated grips

marcus_b

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi all,

I remember a post on the old forum saying that the Griso (not sure if it was the 2v or the 4v) is already wired for the Moto Guzzi heated grips and I had a couple of questions:

How are the Guzzi grips controlled... is it via the dash?

I just wondered if anyone had investigated if you can connect aftermarket grips (such as the Oxford Hothands..or US equivalent) to these connections as they are 30% the cost of the Guzzi version.

Thanks in advance!

Marcus

I have the feeling I maybe posting to myself but here are the power/impedance/current values for the oxford hot hands and hot grips (for one grip)...

Hot Hands 18W / 10.7ohm / 1.3A
Hot Grips 29W / 6.5ohm / 2.1A

It would be usefull to see how they compare with the guzzi grips, so if anyone has the original grips please could you measure the resistance of one of the grips? That way we maybe able to find a nice, vastly cheaper and more readily available alternative to the Guzzi items that dont require a seperate wiring harness... plus it would be nice to control the grips from the instrument panel.

marcus_b wrote:
I have the feeling I maybe posting to myself
:p

naa, I'm skulking the post waiting for someone more energetic than me to find the answer.

Its something to add to my winter project list

Good Luck on it Marcus

Ive not been that energetic either... I haven’t actually checked to see if the wiring actually exists on the 1100 Griso yet.

Maybe at the weekend

You may be posting by yourself here but as I am seeking other Guzzi riders experiences with those grips (Guzzi or aftermarket) in order to make up my mind on which ones to buy, I follow quite closely your monolog!!!!
Keep on talking!:)

I'm considering the Guzzi grips myself. Will try to do some more research Saturday.

When I fitted Hein Gerrick heated grips to my griso last year, I had the same trouble finding out where I could plug them in to. Never did find out if there is a proper pick up lead so, I wired them through a fuse and took a "live with ignition" feed from under the seat near the fuse box. Still performing faultlessly. Here`s a link to a piccie of the control switch which fits the clutch master cylinder bracket. Perfick! only needed summer gloves on friday, despite the freezing weather. If I knew how to post photos directly to this site I would, but I`ve got fingers like pigs tits when it comes to using the `pooter ;)

Fixed - Ed. Todd

072c7d71.jpg

I was thinking about fitting 'hot hands' on mine for those cooler Spring and Autumn days, the bike is laid up all Winter. That way I can do without them altogether in Summer. I have 'hot grips' fitted on the V50 which is my Winter ride, but I find the grips on these very hard when riding with thin Summer gloves. I know they need to be hard wearing but something a little softer would be better.

For the wiring on that I just took power direct from the battery to a relay and then triggered the relay off the back of the ignition switch. Then use the usual Oxford switching to run them.

BTW: before a big off 18 months ago I had alloy Renthals on the old girl (the original bars feel like they are turning your arms inside out on longer runs). You really noticed the heat sink effect on the clutch side with those. Back with steel now after I folded them up.

Just thought id bump up this thread and ask if anyone has offical guzzi grips fitted to a Griso 1100 then please could you pm me. Winter is coming so I had better get around to fitting some heated grips.

Nope, Two years on an` I`m still using the Hein Gerrick heated grips. Wired to a live on ignition wire I found near the fuse box. How the f**k I managed for the last 37 years I don`t know. Heated grips are one of those things you dismiss as for poofters, but as age takes precedence over bravado, (and stiff little fingers to quote a fine rock group), I`ll never go without a set in any shape or form :)

I've been resisting, always regarding them as a "suspect device" :D , but with winter closing in here, the insulated gloves I use are not cutting it. Given my skills though, I'm sure I'll put them on "Back to Front" the first time around.

Ha. One of my all time favorite bands.

Nope, Two years on an` I`m still using the Hein Gerrick heated grips. Wired to a live on ignition wire I found near the fuse box. How the f**k I managed for the last 37 years I don`t know. Heated grips are one of those things you dismiss as for poofters, but as age takes precedence over bravado, (and stiff little fingers to quote a fine rock group), I`ll never go without a set in any shape or form

I've just had the latest version of Oxford heated grips put on my 8v. The instructions say they can be wired straight off the battery......there is a little gizmo in the control unit that switches the grips off if there is less than a certain voltage. In theory this means they will only work with the engine running and they won't drain the battery if you forget to switch them off. The Guzzi dealers technican has faith in this.....he says the required voltage for the grips is higher than that needed to start the bike. I'm just hoping he's right and the gizmo is reliable!

Commando Tod, photo fixed above, "Edit" the post to see how I did it.

Back