• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Newbie seeking information.

Trophy900

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi All - new to this forum and looking for information about this model.
I'm a 30+ year rider with both extensive off road, and on road riding - mostly sport and sport touring in the last 15 or so years so the large displacement dual sport style bikes are new to me.
Any typical problems or issues? Are there any parts availability problems? I'm unable to find detailed information about the ABS on this model - can it be disabled? Can you give me details on the ECU modes? What is clutch feel like, and as a single plate dry clutch, do they hold up well?
I'm very interested in this model, and currently own an Aprilia as one of my bikes so I'm used to unique brands (Italian also) with more limited support, but really unsure about the Guzzi support network, and whether these bikes are durable and reliable for long term everyday use.
I appreciate any guidance you can provide, and thanks in advance!
Jeff

Nope, no scam - just figured that evident by listing it under the Stelvio forum heading - I'm interested in the Stelvio model.

i've only had mine since november 2010, it's a 2008 model, i ride in all weathers, i've only done about 700 miles on it. i probably can't answer a lot of your questions, but the only thing thats gone wrong with it is the speed sensor, i new one has cost me £35. apparently you can waterproof them yourself but i don't know how, i thought it would be good to have a spare anyway. the part turned up at the dealers (twiggers) in about a week.

i don't find the clutch heavy around town, but can't really speak about long term viability. i find the bike a good alternative to a GS, much more exclusive and loads cheaper.

There is a fellow "John in PA" that has a Stelvio, he should be able to fill you in on the particulars for your area. Just do a search in the Stelvio forum.

I have 26K on my 2009, I have abused the sh*t out of it both on and off road, had a leaking CARC seal which the dealer repaired under warranty, the plug boots went south and I repaired with aftermarket, other than that the bike has been built proof.

I have had my Stelvio for a little over a year now and have about 13,000 km. on it. It has proven to be a very reliable daily rider. I do not find the clutch excessively stiff. I can't comment on ABS, as my Stella is a non-ABS model. I have done nothing to the ECU.
Problems? Just a few minor issues. I had paint around the filler cap area bubbling, which was a common problem. The painted panel was replaced under warranty. Also had moisture intrusion into the speed sensor, causing a speedo failure, which would correct itself once dry. That has since been corrected with dielectric grease.
The Stelvio is smooth, comfortable and fast. I really love mine.

Cheers,

Bruce

Like Bruce ……. I've had my Stelvio for little over a year now.
A 2009 model with +/- 5000km ….no ABS.
Peeling gas cover paint, speed sensor repair, sump guard mod ….just some minor fixes.
Not having much support from the dealers I’ve learned to work on the bike myself with the help of Guzzitech members.
With the right tools and proper tuning the bike runs great!

If you currently own an Aprilia, depends on the model, the ECU concept is basically the same.
IMO …… If you’re planning on any modification, to the ECU, it will certainly improve the response of the bike but don’t expect a significant increase in HP. (Its no RSV4 ) :eek:

Before purchasing I looked at the Triumph Tiger, Ducati Multistrada, BMW GS 1200, Benelli Tre 1130 and ended up buying the Stelvio ….. no regrets!!!!

Trophy900 said:
Any typical problems or issues? Are there any parts availability problems? I'm unable to find detailed information about the ABS on this model - can it be disabled? Can you give me details on the ECU modes? What is clutch feel like, and as a single plate dry clutch, do they hold up well?
I'm very interested in this model, and currently own an Aprilia as one of my bikes so I'm used to unique brands (Italian also) with more limited support, but really unsure about the Guzzi support network, and whether these bikes are durable and reliable for long term everyday use.
Hi Jeff, welcome to the Forum. The rare few issues have been outlined above, as a whole, they are pretty solid bikes. No parts issues to date, and if you own an Aprilia, it is the same parent company. The ABS can be turned off by a button, yes. The single plate dry clutch feels like all others. It was "upgraded" to an automotive style for the new engine. I'd say it's quite robust. There isn't enough mileage data (yet) to speak about it otherwise. There are not any "modes" on the ECU. I offer a Performance ECU re-flash for those interested in making it run right, and eliminate pre-detonation in the warm months. Post again, or feel free to contact me direct.

Thanks for the feed back!
Looks like a good forum with some similarities to AF1s Aprilia forum that I have belonged to for years. It's nice to know that you can lean on competent and capable owners to enjoy and improve the equipment we love. I've always done my own maintenance and regularly make or adapt my own accessories on my bikes. Feeling pretty serious about the Stelvio and hope to find the right deal.
If anyone has any relevant information on this model, please don't hesitate to respond with your experiences.

Jeff - Where are you located? I recently sold my '09 Stelvio to a guy in northern California whose situation has changed and he finds himself needing to sell it. See other post regarding "Ray's bike" up for sale.

It already has all of Todd's upgrades, plus some high quality others. And you can get it for a great price.

Ray, I live near York, PA. Is that the bike that was just on ebay? Any idea of what he's looking for? Why did you get rid of it? I see by your signature line you have quite a list of Beemers. Can you give me a comparison between a GS R12 / R1150 and the Stelvio?

I've got a 10 NTX, ran great for 5000 miles then the Cams and followers crapped out, replaced under warranty then a loud clattering from left hand head, soon to go under the spanners again for a look see.

Handling wise they can't be beat, and give great confidence on all surfaces.

Trophy900 said:
Ray, I live near York, PA. Is that the bike that was just on ebay? Any idea of what he's looking for? Why did you get rid of it? I see by your signature line you have quite a list of Beemers. Can you give me a comparison between a GS R12 / R1150 and the Stelvio?

Yeah, it was the black one listed on ebay a week or so ago. While I can't necessarily speak for the new owner, I'd bet you could get it for somewhere between $10-11K. Maybe lower depending on how anxious he is to sell it. I've used Keyboard Motorcycle Shipping and it'd be around $650 to get it to PA.

As far as a comparison between the Stelvio and the GSA....hmmmm......here I am on a Guzzi board. ;) I will tread softly. The reason I sold it is because I finally gave in and realized I'm a BMW bigot. It's easier for me to maintain the BMW brand myself since I have all the tools and it's what I'm used to. BMWs also fit me better, as they seem to have a bit better riding position for my 36" inseam. But that's just me. That said, I'll make these comparisons:
1) The Guzzi felt more torquey, especially after the upgrades. That bike would pull like a tractor from any rpm. You really notice it at idle speeds. The Guzzi can chug along at idle, where the BMW will kill the engine.
2) The BMW has much better fuel range. That said, some buddies and I custom fabricated a 6 gal aux tank (see long thread on that project) that took care of any range issues on my Stelvio.
3) The BMW handles better for me. But I attribute that to my bogotry and because it's a feel that I've grown accustomed to over the years.
4) I've never taken either off road, so I can't make a comparison there.
5) The BMW makes more top end power. It really comes on above 4.5k rpm and pulls hard from there.
6) BMWs obvioulsy have a more expansive dealer network and farkle availability. But along with that comes the fact that when I go out for a ride, I'm much more likely to see the same bike I'm riding under some other pilot.
7) Engine/exhaust sound? OMG!!! Guzzi hands down!

I guess to summarize, the only complaints I had about my Stelvio was the fuel range and the time/effort/cost it took to tune it the way I thought it should run. But that's just my opinion. There are many others who feel the bike runs just fine the way it comes off the showroom floor. But that's the way I feel about my BMWs....they are tuned right from the factory.

I hope this helps and good luck with your search!

Congrats on joining the Stelvio riders forum! We seem to be a varied bunch, but I guess, secretly, most of us bought the Stelvio because it wasn't a GS!

I am obsessed with mine. Regardless of its tank range, blah, blah, I love it. But obsessed as I am, it is now waiting for its 6th speed sensor. They say the new one has been modified (yeah, right...) but I'll wait to see. The last one did 3000 miles or so, which is better than the previous ones.

I live in the UK where it doesn't rain as much as the rest of the world thinks, but it's almost always pretty high humidity, warm or cold. My bike lives outdoors in a car park with nothing but a bike cover for protection. I go out some nights and give it a hug, but that's its predicament and I'm sure that's the main problem with the sensors. A friend has suggested a bicycle speedo set up he knows that'd work, so as the warranty is up in a fortnight, when the next sensor fails (as I'm sure it will), I'll give that a go and post the results.

Meanwhile, enjoy the Stelvio. Mine's got a brilliant aftermarket Quill pipe that has transformed the performance. I disagree with the guy who says the the GS is quicker over 4500 - mine pulls from 2500 and flies above 4500! The handling is superb, braking's excellent, and I've fitted Dunlop RoadSmarts which suit the bike very well. As I said, I'm obsessed.

notasweetman said:
Congrats on joining the Stelvio riders forum! We seem to be a varied bunch, but I guess, secretly, most of us bought the Stelvio because it wasn't a GS!

I am obsessed with mine. Regardless of its tank range, blah, blah, I love it. But obsessed as I am, it is now waiting for its 6th speed sensor. They say the new one has been modified (yeah, right...) but I'll wait to see. The last one did 3000 miles or so, which is better than the previous ones.

I live in the UK where it doesn't rain as much as the rest of the world thinks, but it's almost always pretty high humidity, warm or cold. My bike lives outdoors in a car park with nothing but a bike cover for protection. I go out some nights and give it a hug, but that's its predicament and I'm sure that's the main problem with the sensors. A friend has suggested a bicycle speedo set up he knows that'd work, so as the warranty is up in a fortnight, when the next sensor fails (as I'm sure it will), I'll give that a go and post the results.

Meanwhile, enjoy the Stelvio. Mine's got a brilliant aftermarket Quill pipe that has transformed the performance. I disagree with the guy who says the the GS is quicker over 4500 - mine pulls from 2500 and flies above 4500! The handling is superb, braking's excellent, and I've fitted Dunlop RoadSmarts which suit the bike very well. As I said, I'm obsessed.

And I see yours, like mine, is the much faster red version! :D

Bruce

I'm just waiting to pick a speed sensor from twiggers (uk), do they come with any warrenty? my bikes out of warrenty already so this is the first one i've bought. now my old one has dried out it's back working but i guess it'll fail everytime it rains now? is there any quick fix i should protect my new one with?

guards 1656 said:
I'm just waiting to pick a speed sensor from twiggers (uk), do they come with any warrenty? my bikes out of warrenty already so this is the first one i've bought. now my old one has dried out it's back working but i guess it'll fail everytime it rains now? is there any quick fix i should protect my new one with?

My dealer coated mine with dielctric grease. That seemed to fix the problem, and should protect it from further water intrusion.

Bruce

cheers for that, so is it the actual case of the speed sensor that lets in moisture? and if i put some of said greese on it it should be sorted?

notasweetman said:

You have RoadSmarts on your Stelvio?!? With a 110/80x19 front?!? :eek: Is that size offered only in the UK & Europe? I've never seen it offered here in 'Murrica; that'd be my next set if it was...

mohawkeye said:
You have RoadSmarts on your Stelvio?!? With a 110/80x19 front?!? :eek: Is that size offered only in the UK & Europe? I've never seen it offered here in 'Murrica; that'd be my next set if it was...
Correct Mike, they are not available here. :dry:

Back