• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Vandalising the crossover

drbulloch

Just got it firing!
Since my guarantee runs out soon, I intend to maintain the bike myself (V7C). A new crossover will be handy for the gearbox drain bolt. But, I can't find a crossover on the Stucci site anymore. However a crossover is for sale by http://www.corsaitaliana.com. Is this the same as the Stucci one?

Why not save sixty quid by denting the original crossover?

Charlie

It is about the same, but a little fatter around the middle. It will still give you more clearance, plus improve the performance of the bike. Oh by the way I have the Stucci and got it from MG Cycle here in the states :D

Bill Maier

It will still give you more clearance, plus improve the performance of the bike.
Where comes the improvement from? (The stock crossover is complete empty).

I had the mighty Baldrick at Corsa Italiana fit one when the new engine was installed. Don't know how it's supposed to improve the bottom end 'cos as you say it's a hollow bit of pipe! However, it will make it easier to do the oil change.

The stock is a big hollow can and acts like another muffler increasing back pressure. All I can tell you from a seat of the pants dyno that after I replaced it I had a improvement in throttle response and my fuel mileage improved. Also the tone of my mufflers deepened :D These may not be scientific evidence but I have as they say, become one with my bike and response from the bike is a big improvement over stock.

Bill

In the parts diagram it's called an "expansion chamber." Expansion chambers are mainly used in 2 cycle engines, where they alter exhaust pulses to help the engine breath. 4 cycle engines also benefit from exhaust tuning.

Not sure why Guzzi shaped the crossover that way, but it's more expensive than a simple tube, so they must have done it for a reason.

What would be good is a dyno chart with and without the factory crossover.

The stock is a big hollow can and acts like another muffler increasing back pressure. All I can tell you from a seat of the pants dyno that after I replaced it I had a improvement in throttle response and my fuel mileage improved. Also the tone of my mufflers deepened
Ok, thanks. I made one myself, but when I saw the stock crossover was empty I decided not to go further. In spring I will give it a try.

The stock crossover is shorter too. I used to have a rattle/buzz noise caused by the left exhaust header almost touching the frame area that the sidestand mounts to.

The new crossover is 1/2" longer and allows the header pipes to be positioned a bit further out from the frame rails and eliminate the rattle/buzz noise.

I adusted the exhaust clamps to make the bike's exhaust pipes look symetrical to the rear wheel's centerline. (looking from the back)

That's the centre stand and new crossover fitted. It certainly does not reduce bottom end torque which remains the best bit about these bikes. Top end seems no lower than standard anyway, I've only been up to 70mph. It's a bit awkward to disconnect the lambda sensor (which was very loose) so we loosened the exhaust system and turned the crossover instead. The exhaust clamps are beautifully made.

I'll check on the fuel consumption over the next few tank-fulls, averaging 63.8mpg over the first 10000 miles, imperial gallons.

Progressive fork springs and IKON shocks next, now I can do the maintenance myself. Does anyone know if there is a right way up for the fork springs?

Charlie

PS great forum, gang.

Martin said:
It will still give you more clearance, plus improve the performance of the bike.
Where comes the improvement from? (The stock crossover is complete empty).

Comes from the dreams of loud sounds of power.

Only. :mrgreen:

I think the tighter coils go to the top but your new springs should come with full fitting instructions. I'm got some on order from Hagon's who have always included that info in the past along with the correct air gap figure. Also waiting for a pair of Ikons to turn up so it's going to be just like Christmas but with added grease and scraped knuckles!

Back