• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Intro & Griso Questions

ptk

Just got it firing!
Hello everyone,
Patrick K. from Northern Illinois.
Been in the saddle since 1969, though never on an MG.
Almost bought an Abassador in 1971, but opted for an HD instead.
Have a garge full of classics ranging from 1953-1973.
Love the nostalgia and coolness of old bikes but last fall I was hit with a moment of clarity.
You never own an antique MC, it owns you.
Time to put a modern bike in the garage.
I've been thinking about buying a Griso for the worst reason possible.
It is one beautiful MC.
Besides it's looks I know nothing about the bike.
Tests seem to be favorable, but that's usually the case.
Some questions.
What is a Griso good for?
Sport?
Touring?
What?
If touring how far?
Coast to coast and maybe beyond?
Comfortable?
Technically are they reliable?
I've been aroung quirky bikes my entire life and have developed some fairly proficient mechanical skills, but I don't want to spend the summer in the garage wrenching.
What does the Griso bring to the table in terms of dependability and longevity?
What works good and what works bad?
Do they require CFM (constant freaking maintenance)?
Hows the dealer network, specifically in the Chicago area?
parts easy to get?
4V or 8V?
Any model years stand out for good or bad?
I found a new 2007 locally.
Should I consider that option?
I could go on for a while but these questions kind of represent the situation.
It's been a while since I had a love affair with a bike.
Just need to know if the Griso is the one.
Thanks.
PTK

ptk said:
Hello everyone,
Patrick K. from Northern Illinois.

Welcome Patrick K. I'm from Northern Illinois as well.. I own a black '09 Griso 8V.

ptk said:
I've been thinking about buying a Griso for the worst reason possible.
It is one beautiful MC.

the worst reason possible?? one of the main reasons I bought my Griso is her amazing looks and uniqueness.

ptk said:
Some questions.
What is a Griso good for?
Sport?
Touring?
What?
If touring how far?
Coast to coast and maybe beyond?
Comfortable?

Sport? Yes.. but not like a crotch rocket. Touring? Yes.. but not like an Ultra Glide. Coast to coast? Yes.. there are many accessories for the Griso; various sets of windscreens, baggage, heated grips, etc. I think the Griso is a great balance between sport and touring bikes.

ptk said:

The Moto Guzzi website could keep you updated with active Chicagoland Guzzi dealers... I get all my parts and service from Rose Farm Classics in Woodstock, IL.

ptk said:
4V or 8V?

This recommendation really comes down to your budget. If you can fit an 8V into your budget.. the recommendation will be to go with the 8V!

ptk said:
Any model years stand out for good or bad?
I found a new 2007 locally.
Should I consider that option?

The 2009 8V's had a recall early in their release, but those have been addressed. If you're looking for a 2V, the 2007 would probably be a fair price...

Good luck with your search!

I own a 2009 8V Griso. I also own a 2003 Aprilia Tuono. Been riding for 40 years(1970).
A sport bike(As in Tuono)it is not but it is sporty to ride.
A touring(As in Gold Wing)it is not but it will tour as good as any naked bike. Aftermarket is there.
What is it is a sport, cruiser & a touring bike all rolled into one depending on how you set it up.
People love to look at it. They love ask questions.
Pegs are a little high if you are tall but you can easlily lower them(But some ground clearance can be an issue if you do.
From what I here & my experance they are very reliable(2 years ownership)
As classy as an HD but cooler.
No CFM.
Some small moisture problems that can be easlliy remedied.
Dealer network con be tough at times. Not a lot of dealers. Parts are avilable.
I think the 8V is the only one to buy but a lot of people love the 4V. I never owned a 4V. The 8V makes plenty of HP.
If you have a love affair with this bike you will love it even more WHEN you buy it.
As for me, I love my Tuono more but I'm a different kind than you I think. But I love the looks, sound & vibe that the Griso gives you.

I own an '07 2valver. Have owned it since new and for about 30,000 miles. I tour on it, use it for commuting, and blowing out the cobwebs in the twisties. What it is suited for to you depends on your tastes. I find it quick enough for me without being stupid fast like a Tuono. I would lose my license on one of those. It handles pretty well, and with a small fly screen and a set of throw over bags I can tour on it for a week or two. And it looks great.
My wife and I own two other Guzzi's, both of them spine frames, and it is not quite as raw and sporty feeling to me as they are. But it is more refined feeling and offers modern conveniences like time, temp, and trip computer.
It has been very reliable and while the dealer network is crap I have no reservations about riding it into the nether regions of West Virginia.
Is it right for you? I don't know. But if you want a beautiful motorcycle with lots of character that may require a little sorting to work the bugs out of (sealing the speed sensor and the dash, etc) it is as good a choice as you are likely to find.

I just bought an '09 8V because it was beautiful and not a bike I'll see at every bike night. I haven't even gotten to ride it yet because I live in Milwaukee. I will say that I took it to Jim at Rose Farm right away and he was a good guy. It's a good hour drive for me, but I'm glad to know that he's there.

I've had my 2007 1100 Griso for 3 years. Great bike that can do it all. Power was more than enough for me. I put 13k miles on it the first year, and never left the state of Wisconsin-many 600 mile+ days were never a problem.
I never had a problem with mine, and the only maintenance was what the manual required at the proper mileage.

The only thing with these is that they need to be set up properly by a competent dealer. Jim at Rosefarm is great and set mine up properly. Having just bought a new V7C in December, I will be taking it to Rosefarm for proper set up at the 600 mile inspection.

ptk said:
Hello everyone,

Hello

ptk said:
Some questions.,

OK fire away.

ptk said:
What is a Griso good for?.
Sport?
Touring?.
What?.,

A test ride should clear the first one up.
A sports bike the Griso is not, nor is it a tourer in the true sense of the word for obvious reasons, but it is an 1100/1200 torquey shaft drive which gives it potential, and there are panniers available from both Moto Guzzi and Hepco & Becker, so like any bike, it can be tailored to tour quite easily, as long as weather protection is not top of your list of priorities.

ptk said:
If touring how far?,Coast to coast and maybe beyond?

I did 3,000 miles in two weeks in the French Alps last year, without a single issue.

ptk said:
Comfortable?

Not at first, but like a new pair of jeans, the bike starts to feel more comfortable over time.

ptk said:
Technically are they reliable??

15,000 miles in 2 years.
No problems yet

ptk said:
I've been aroung quirky bikes my entire life and have developed some fairly proficient mechanical skills, but I don't want to spend the summer in the garage wrenching.??

Well then you'll be pleased to know that the Griso is simplicity itself to work on come service time.

ptk said:
What does the Griso bring to the table in terms of dependability and longevity?.??

Guzzi have been producing the same basic engine for donkeys years now.
It's well proven.

ptk said:
What works good and what works bad?

It all works good

ptk said:
Do they require CFM (constant freaking maintenance)?

Service intervals are 6,000 miles.
Most Japanese bikes are 4,000 miles.

ptk said:

Sorry, I'm in the UK but here they are pretty thin on the ground.
I daresay it's the same there,

ptk said:
parts easy to get??

Only had one experience, after I dropped it and the footrest bracket snapped where the rear brake lever attaches.
The new part arrived from Italy in one week.
They're part of the Piaggio group now, which means things are much better organised than the yonce were.

ptk said:
4V or 8V??

Up to about 5000 rpm, they're pretty much the same bike, but after that, the 8V takes off like a cat with it's ass on fire and carries on to a 20mph faster top speed than the 1100.
Put it this way.
The 1100 is perfectly adequate, but the 1200 has more of a top end rush.
I have heard that the 8V motor is thirsty though.

ptk said:
Any model years stand out for good or bad???

The early Griso's had a problem with a leaking oil seal in the bevel box.
It affected only one batch as I understand it.
Also, the early 1200,s suffered top end problems.
All of the above have been sorted now, although I understand that speedo sensors are prone to failure when used in wet weather.
Also be aware that the clocks are prone to misting.
I've never met a Griso owner yet who hasn't experienced this.
I had mine changed under warranty, but the new one's were just the same, so I never bothered again.
Choose yout tyres carefully, and don't bother with the Rennsports that are fitted at the factory.
Mine lasted 2000 miles.
That's because they are soft sticky sports orientated tyres, and utterly pointless on a bike like the Griso.
I'm using Dunlop roadsmarts at the moment, and can usually reckon on about 7000 miles out of a rear.

ptk said:
I found a new 2007 locally
Should I consider that option?.

Sounds good to me.

ptk said:
I could go on for a while but these questions kind of represent the situation.
It's been a while since I had a love affair with a bike.
Just need to know if the Griso is the one.

All I can say to that is that after nearly 30 years riding only Japanese bikes, the Griso is the best bike I've had.
It does not have the performance I've become used too, but it does have something else that transcends bhp and standing quarter times.
On the way to the bike meets, sure, the guys on the Blades and GSXR's will be blasting past you but on arrival, they will dissapear into a sea of annonymity, and be resigned to looking dissaprovingly on as your bike, as well as other like it, get all the admiration.

Hi,
I bought my Griso because the bike looking absolut gorgeous, damned good, the best...
And... he's riding more than nice...
maybe it coold do better, easyer. But that was NOT what I was looking for.
I want a bike with its own character, its own identity.

And... you don't see such a bike on every corner, every street, every town...
I was visiting Spa Franchorchamps in Belgium late autumn last year. That is a motorbike and special car heaven,
because of its famous racetrack downthere. I saw everthing, all Jap's, BMW's, many Ducati's... but only one Guzzi...And that was no Griso, it was a Californian.

That's why.
If you want a bike which is easyer to ride, handling with more comfort, sitting like your chair at home,
talk with others over and over about the same bike... and so on, and so on...
you better buy a bmw...
There are a few others, who choose for a Harley (I did that 20 years ago...). Its a choice for character, lifestyle.
After 20 years riding a Harley I wanted a change. And there was only one. This one, the Griso.
That's why.

Ad B

Back