• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

stelvio warranty issuses

20boronia

Just got it firing!
I was wondering what different claims have been made by fellow owners
1/ have been made and item fixed
2/ have been made and knocked back by moto guzzi

for me
1/ fuel tank cover (paint bubbling ) item replaced
2/ air leaking slowly rear tire but I think only when i'm riding it (knock back by motto guzzi)
2/ heavy clutch (knocked back)
2/clunking into first ( knocked back)

j

Well...

Finally got the re-call on tappets done.
Replaced tank cover for peeling.
leaking seal on carc replaced. (in progress but approved)
Speed sensor replaced.

I have had no problem getting needed work approved. Getting it actually done has been another matter but that is an other story.

Let's see, 1: play in final drive bearings.
2: peeling paint on tank cover x2
3: intermittent ECU failure.
4: cracked l/h fork tube fitting.
5:Knocking noise from r/h cylinder head area,told it was a cam box interfering with free rotation of the cam.Cambox was replaced,noise gone and no further issues.

6: and last but not least, cam follower recall supposed to have been done in Sept./09 but Piaggio say no. So it is being done,maybe for the 2nd time. No issues have occured due to this being done or not done.So who knows.
Nothing was refused by Guzzi. Everything done no problem. Dealers getting off their asses and actually ordering the parts were only issue I ever had with any warranty work.
FBC

Oh and for the record, I still love this bike and that wonderful engine, can't see it going anywhere for a very long time.Does anyone happen to know what exactly is wrong with me? :evil:

2/ air leaking slowly rear tire but I think only when i'm riding it (knock back by motto guzzi)

"They all do that sir"!!!!

Have to admit that I was surprised at the heavy clutch after being use to the 1100 Breva. But there again you don't get the classic guzzi clutch rattle when the clutch is pulled in on the Stelvio.

The clunk of the B1100 engaging first gear use to startle everything in a wide radius.Although fresh oil seemed to lessen this.

Talk about surprised, I'M surprised by the Stelvios that have heavy clutches - the pull on mine is feather-light, easier than either my SP or Cal III.

Warranty issues:

1) Valve clearance adjuster missing locknut at 600-mile service - found in sump and replaced.

2) Speedo sensor failed in the wet - Dried it and sealed it up with silly-cone but noted for the dealer to replace under warranty if it fails in future as a "pre-existing condition".

That's it for me, everything else is working. Only 3200 miles tho' so lots of "opportunities" left!

Lannis

In 6000 miles:

Bubbling tank paint
Speed sensor

All taken care of quickly and efficiently by the dealer.

Love the damn thing.

20boronia said:
1/ fuel tank cover (paint bubbling ) item replaced

So dealt with? If so what's the issue?

Leaking spokes ARE a warrantyable issue. Have you managed to ascertain if it IS actually a leaking spoke or is this guesswork? Bring it to me if you like and I'll find out. If it IS a leaking spoke I'll warranty it.

Does the clutch work properly or is it getting harder and harder to use? If the latter stop riding immediately. While I have heard of no cases in Oz there have, apparently, been cases of thrust bearing failure on some early 8V's. Once again. Bring it up here and I'll be able to tel you if its 'Normal' or needs remedial work. The Nuovo single plate clutch IS heavier than the old twin plater but unless you're a real wimp it isn't 'Laverda' type awful!!!!!

j
[/quote]

The driveline on the 8V models only has one, fairly rudimentary, shock absorber in it in the form of the bonded sleeving in the driveshaft itself. There has to be backlash in the gearbox to allow engagement of the drive dogs. Especially when new and when the oil is thick the internal friction of the oil and the grease in the bearings means that even when stationary the pinnions in the box will try and be 'Driven' and will spin so when you engage first from a standstill you'll get a 'Clonk'. It will get better with distance as both the tendency to 'drive' in neutral will lessen and the rubber bonded cush in the shaft seems to 'Work Soften'. 'Clonking' on the move can be lessened by taking as much free play as possible out of the throttle cables.

Do a search on this board and you'll find a host of info on small, niggling, problems that can easilly be addressed by the owner. If you have serious doubts about the machines tuning or integrity? I'm only a couple of hours away from Sydney. It might be worth your while to drop up and see me.

Pete

Jeez, I think if I lived ANYWHERE in Oz I would take my bike to Pete for a look over, and to meet and talk to such a knowledgeable and colorful character.

Uh. As of next wednesday Jude and I are off for a two week tour of Tassie on the Mana so if you DO want to talk to me about this gimme a ring 0417 462 440. If you want to PM me as to where you bouht it that might allow me to make a more enlightened decision as to whather it has been PD'd correctly.

Pete

Don't get me wrong
I'm loving this bike and look forward to big rides
In sharing warranty issuse is a way to improve the bike
having common problems and knowing what to look out for
is the intention of this thread
j

20boronia said:
Don't get me wrong
I'm loving this bike and look forward to big rides
In sharing warranty issuse is a way to improve the bike
having common problems and knowing what to look out for
is the intention of this thread
j

IMHO 'Sharing Warranty Issues' will achieve nothing but promoting serial whiners to post about any little problem that they may *THINK* they have and put prospective buyers off what are strong, reliable and enjoyable motorbikes that have no more or less problems than any other manuafacturer.

The purpose of writing to Guzzitech, or any other board, would seem to me to be to glean information as to HOW to fix problems or find out whether a percieved 'Problem' is in fact a problem at all. Whether any or all of those percieved 'Problems' need to be addressed by warranty or simple maintenance is another matter entirely.

Other people's opinions differ from mine but it seems that I am liable to be censored if I state anything too strongly whereas others aren't. That's fine. no skin off my nose.

Pete

Cams and followers dead after 5000 miles, and going back in the shop after a couple of hundred miles more with a LOUD rattling from one of the heads.

Apart from that it pulls like a train and handles very sweet, and I love it.

pete roper said:
IMHO 'Sharing Warranty Issues' will achieve nothing but promoting serial whiners to post about any little problem that they may *THINK* they have and put prospective buyers off what are strong, reliable and enjoyable motorbikes that have no more or less problems than any other manuafacturer.

Pete

Nah, I don't agree with that at all.

First of all, these boards are partly for sharing common experiences among those that own and ride Stelvios, and not just to use the people here as a walking talking service manual.

It's VERY interesting to me to read other people's warranty issues, so I can be looking out for the same on my bike. I "whined" about my "little problem" with my Speedo Sensor, but I ended up fixing it myself and making a note with the dealer that if it breaks again, I'm coming to him.

Nextly, I PAID the dealer price for the bike partly so I DON'T have to fix my own problems for a couple years, Guzzi will share the pain with me. Warranties should be worth something, I paid for it, and there's no sense in me spending my time and hundreds of dollars fixing something that I've already paid to have fixed if it breaks.

Toidly, I don't consider this board to be a sales and marketing tool to convince "newbies" to buy new Guzzis, and therefore to keep our negative comments to ourselves for fear that someone will read them and be put off of buying one of these nice rugged but NEEDS SORTING motorcycles.

I had warranty issues, may have some more which I WILL be discussing if they happen, but I like this bike and will probably keep it till it (or I) dies.

Lannis

I think you have to keep information from bike forums in general in perspective. I'll admit after spending an evening on forums in the past that I've gone away thinking I've got a ticking time bomb in the garage. Nobody ever posts "my bikes working with no problems today, this week, month etc."

It's good to share common problems, this forum has certainly helped put me in the picture about this bike.

Newb to the forum here but definitely interested in the Stelvio once the NTX hits the states. Having dealt with the Aprilia side of Piaggio for the last 9 yrs. and through the change over, lack of parts, dealer closings, etc., I have survived and thrived on my own with my ride with the help of forums such as this.

I have been looking for the replacement for my Caponord and the Stevio has what I am looking for. I do mostly 2-up riding with 2 long trips a year.

I find information on this forum whether good or not so good very valuable with regards to not only real ride experiences and enjoyment, but also troubleshooting and problem issues. If not for information such as this, we would be limited to advertisements and dealer input.

I have already compiled a list of things to watch for and items or add-ons of interest based on your experiences. Please keep up the good work and i hope to contribute where and when I can.

I've had the common ones:

Paint peeling - believe this to be caused by faulty (or reversed) tip over valve which allows the tank to pressurise under high ambient temps and force fuel vapour into the area around the fuel filler (only a problem in the summer!)
The paint job seems to have been done without the correct adhesion promoter/paint or coverage when sprayed (new parts probably the same) - typically automotive paint specs would prevent this but who knows what Piaggio's suppliers do. - Repaired under warranty

Faulty (only when wet!) speed sensor - repaired under warranty

Cam recall - repaired under warranty

Mirrors worn out - not replaced under warranty, apparently piaggio consider this to be normal, must have forgotten to add replacing mirrors to the items under a 10k service! Replaced with European ones from MPH cycles (highly recommended - both the replacement and MPH for their service)

Even with these issues and the problems with getting service etc, this is a fantastic machine and I would do it all over again even knowing what I know now.

Hi

Only 3 issues for me.
1. replaced 1 fork leg due to breakage across wheel axle clamp bolts.
2. Replaced gauges due to condensation.
The replacement still does it on hot sunny days but clears very quickly, so putting up with it.
3. Plug cap insulation failure - replaced.

Other than that - great, love it. :D

Smoothy

I also have had speedo sensor probs which I've addressed myself, and have a spare sensor from the dealer incase of another failure on my repaired one.

Also a bit of gauge condensation. i wouldn't mind tips on how to fix that myself, especially since my bike is now out of warranty, and my dealer is defunct AFAIK (Speaker's??)

Hi, I have a issue I wish to vent. I do believe it is a good idea to have a some knowledge with problems that might occur with the bike and on the hand I do agree with Pete that it also might breed a whinger mentality,even after all the negativity I heard about the brand I still purchased one. On the 11 February I took my newly acquired second hand Stelvio for its first service to a MG bike shop. Later that morning I was informed that it had a crack in the lower section of the front fork and the swingarm rubber boot was cracked, as such I could not ride the bike until fixed. I was informed these would be warranty matters and should be fixed within 2 weeks.

After a number of calls to the bike shop to find out where the proceedings were up to, I finally ascertained that the warranty work was only approved on the 7 March. At this point in time I have been waiting for 6 weeks to tomorrow for my bike to be repaired and still no idea as to where it might be fixed. I have only rode my bike once and loved it, I not complaining about the bike just the customer service or should I say the lack of.Is it the norm?

Gary

Back