• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge cracked collector pipe

cmgies

Tuned and Synch'ed
OK. Another question. I have a cracked collector pipe on the Norge that is leaking exhaust. The dealer here says that a new part is $182.88. Should I replace it, see if I can get it welded or some other solution that I haven't thought of.

Thanks in advance,

Michael Gies

You can repair or replace, but it will likely crack again. ~$183 for the stock part is affordable. If you want to send it to me, I can build a crack-proof version to offer up to the group for ~$350 USD.

GT-Rx said:
You can repair or replace, but it will likely crack again. ~$183 for the stock part is affordable. If you want to send it to me, I can build a crack-proof version to offer up to the group for ~$350 USD.

Sent you an e/m, Todd.

Have you built one of these for a Norge yet?

Happy to send mine and be first if you are still willing. Did not see one from Norge in your store, but If already "in stock," happy to launch $ immediately.

Would like to have back before April if you think that is doable.

Bill
404.808.8486 (M)

Attachments

• Cracked Collector 1.jpg
    Cracked Collector 1.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 693
  • Cracked Collector 2.jpg
    Cracked Collector 2.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 691
Bill,
A friend of mine has a 1200 Sport whose exhaust cracked in the same place as yours. He simply wrapped it with muffler tape until MG agreed to replace it under warranty. He lost no time riding and didn't bother having it welded. Quite a few 1200 Sport owners in the UK reported similar cracks http://www.1200sport.com/forum/

Cracking collector's are one of the issues much dicussed on the 1200 Sport Forum but I haven't heard many Norge owners who have the problem even though they have the same collector. It could be that the 1200 Sport guys pound on the their bikes harder or that the Sport muffler is heavier than the Norge and it stresses the collector hanger more?

Hmmmmmm.

Nothing from Todd.

Ash Wednesday tomorrow.

Sounds as if GT-Rx is at Marde Gras. If I add in time for travel and hangover recovery, Todd should chime in by Thursday. :laugh:

If not, JohninVT, sounds like tape for awhile. Or, mebbe I'll just give up the Norge for Lent. Easier to do than some of Kathi's plans for me. :eek:hmy:

Bill

Todd,

Pipe en route. Allegedly at your place by Friday, but USPS can mean "Unreliable, Sullen, and Painfully Slow." :p

Looking forward to posting pix of this first "special" Norge collector pipe, and will add that to its résumé. :laugh:

Bill

Cat City Rider said:
USPS? not UPS? Oh oh. :cry:

Well, I felt similarly, but check this out. Not bad for Atlanta to LA for $15:

"Delivered, March 11, 2011, 12:05 pm, LA, CA 90XXX
Out for Delivery, March 11, 2011, 8:02 am, LA, CA 90XXX
Sorting Complete, March 11, 2011, 7:52 am, LA, CA 90XXX
Arrival at Post Office, March 11, 2011, 4:22 am, LA, CA 90XXX
Processed through Sort Facility, March 11, 2011, 12:08 am, LONG BEACH, CA 90809
Processed through Sort Facility, March 09, 2011, 10:48 pm, ATLANTA, GA 30320
Acceptance, March 09, 2011, 1:28 pm, CONLEY, GA 30288"

So, Todd, presume you are aware.

Let me know how things go with this.

Thanks.

Bill

Take 2.

Just posted a response but the pic I included was to big. So here we go again, I had the same issue with my 1200 sport 2 or so years ago, problem resolved by having the local shop weld a brace on the inside of the pipe. Haven't had any issues since. Cost you may ask, from memory I think it was $60AUD that includes the repair.

Repaired exhaust 005

Finding a competent welding shop in Atlanta for "small jobs" is, regrettably and surprisingly, more difficult and expensive than it sounds.

So, when Todd can return something like the product in the pix below in a couple of weeks, the choice was easy.

Looking forward to getting the beast back together.

Thanks, Todd.

Bill

IMG 6659s IMG 6660s IMG 6661s

Bill,

That is nothing short of gorgeous! I had mine warrantied and will have to look at this alternative the *next* time it cracks.

Michael

Hey just found or rather heard a crack in this exhaust centralpipe ..can you get it off without removing headers looks a bit awkward ...any info apprciated Cheers

When I have pulled it off, it's been in the course of other work that led me to do the headers, etc., too.

That said, I recall that it comes off with less effort by removing exhaust only, then crossover.

It is a bit awkward, but if can do it, I assure you anyone can.:giggle:

I do use high-temp anti-seize when refitting.

Oh, and be careful with the lamda sensor as one can muck that up if "uncareful." Those are not unobtanium comma but.

It does take a 10-YO girl's fingers to get to it, but it's probably easier to detach wire from connector, above, then try to get it out of the pipe when it's off the bike. Use same high-temp anti-seize when screwing it back into the fixed crossover.

Sorry; no warranty on any of that counsel. I'm writing all of this from Manuel's Tavern in Atlanta -- http://www.manuelstavern.com -- after some sips of a mighty fine IPA, so it is not far-fetched to infer I might have some of the above wrong! ;)

FWIW, Todd's crossover is still going strong. :clap:

Bill

had mine welded three years ago - 20k miles and no further problems and it only cost £25

Back