• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Must do mods for Griso owners!

HOLY PASTA thats a lot of money!

Nice kit though, I'm sure Todd would do a nicer and better job for less $. His work is damn good.

Oh, another must-do for Griso owners... get rid of those horrid Metzelers. Pirelli Angels are good.

Talking of mods...

I recommend Griso riders use super unleaded (98/99) at all times. For a change, I put regular 95 in today and got fuel warning light on at 90 miles!

The tank range on the Griso is a bloody joke.

GuzziHero said:
Talking of mods...

I recommend Griso riders use super unleaded (98/99) at all times. For a change, I put regular 95 in today and got fuel warning light on at 90 miles!

The tank range on the Griso is a bloody joke.

Sorry
Gotta dissagree again.
I tried super unleaded once.
I have worked out my fuel consumption.
My lowest has been 45mpg and highest 57mpg, both of which are acceptabel figures and both achieved on ordinary 95 oct fuel.
The same was achieved using the higher octane "super" fuel so it made no difference to my bike, which is the 1100 by the way.

I must be a hard rider then!

I've been trying to assess what could have made the difference, if its not fuel.

Mine is an 1100, and on the same ride over to Sheffield I got 96 miles from full (brimming on the black part of the tank inside the cover, on stand) first time on high octane, 90 the second on regular. Both with stepper motor switched off.

The MPG first run was 37 avg, second was 30.1 or 30.4 (can't remember which).

First time over was last July and yesterday it was close to freezing but I can't imagine temperature makes that much difference?

I rarely see 45mpg unless its on a dual carriageway/motorway blatt. My riding style on A-roads is to try and avg 55/60mph out of town. I always seem to see an MPG improvement with super-duper fuel, though the engine doesnt back off and engine brake as much with it (if thats the correct term. It was the same in my FZR), unless thats my imagination.

Guzzihero , i answered a post of yours on top speed and came up with the same answer ,i also never see over 100 miles to a tank full , 31000 miles later

The fuel consumption on the dash 'puter is miles per US gallons remember.

On my G11 I always use high octane if it's on any of the pumps. I never use it for short trips. Autoroutes or back roads it always seems to return around the same. And on the back roads I'm often as not up near the rev limiter riding tail end to a fast moving bunch. Autoroutes I'm cruising around 90 per.

Used to get around 10 miles per litre; it's a little better with some more miles on it. Maybe 11 to 12 now. Light usually comes up around 130/135 miles. I've never pushed on far beyond that.

cyclobutch said:
Light usually comes up around 130/135 miles. I've never pushed on far beyond that.

LOL WUT You must have a bigger tank than than I then!

Light on + 1.6 miles for me was 13.52 litres. When I was out yesterday, when the light came on it was reading 29.4mpg (US G, of course) and like came on at 90.5 miles... there's a discrepancy there.

29.4mpG (US) is 35.3 UK. That means I should have cleared 100 miles before light on. Where are my missing litres?

I do know that light on to fuel out is about 25 miles, suggesting a .5g (2.3l or thereabouts) reserve. I ran out on purpose in the name of science ;)

I do find economy drops SHARPLY over 80mph in top.
---
Johnno - seems we must be doing something wrong, pal :D Generally when I'm riding, I am on or around 6-8000rpm pretty much all the time!

Hi,
GuzziHero said:
Light on + 1.6 miles for me was 13.52 litres. When I was out yesterday, when the light came on it was reading 29.4mpg (US G, of course) and like came on at 90.5 miles... there's a discrepancy there.
Wow, GuzziHero, what are you doing with your bike...?
Correct me if I am wrong... But, youre bike used 13.52 ltr on 92.1 mls?
When I'm counting right (Windows machine...) that's 1 Ltr on 10.4 Km or 25,8 Mpg (US) :eek: .
And that in these expensive times...
Last autumn I have driven more than 240 Km with 1 tank! The light came on after 200 Km (125 Mls).
I drove with my G12 1 Ltr on 17 á 18 Km, about 40,2/42,6 Mpg (US) :mrgreen: .
Now I'm driving 1 Ltr on 14 Km, about 33.1 Mpg (US).
But now I'm driving on local roads, one week after my Dyna adjustments...
My G12 needs more fuel in this situation (many, nice pony's thundering on the road)...
And I still have my driverslicense... The G12 is going like Hell... :whistle:
On the way back from the Dyno (93.5 mls) he didn't use a lot, he did about 1 Ltr on 18 Km/42.6 Mpg.
But I think low temperature is influencing a lot too.

Ad B

Replace the crappy FF front pads with some aftermarket HH pads. Makes ALL the difference in the world. The braking will be completely tansformed. Also, get an ExtendaFender to keep all the dirt and rocks from kicking up onto your engine and exhaust manifold.

Ad B said:
Hi,
GuzziHero said:
Wow, GuzziHero, what are you doing with your bike...?
Correct me if I am wrong... But, youre bike used 13.52 ltr on 92.1 mls?

[/snip]

Ad B

Yes thats right. If I ride like a granny I can get the average mpg (US) on the dash up to about 35-40 on country roads or 45-47 on motorways but thats about it.

Maybe I am just riding it too hard!

Well I don't ride like a granny, but I can get 55mpg regularly out on the open roads.
I work it out properly as well.
Brim the tank, re set trip meter to zero, do about 100 or so miles, brim again and divide the total mileage by the number of gallons used.
I don't thrash it, but I don't plod around either.
The Griso was my first V Twin, and the advice I got was to ride it on the torque, rather than the power which is what I do.
My best mpg figure came last Summer, when I was out riding with a couple of friends who are Rospa advanced riders.
We were going at a fair old lick, and I thought there was something wrong with my fuel warning light as it didn't come on when I was expecting it too and I got the shock of my life when I filled up and worked it out at nearly 60mpg
:eek:
I guess there could be other factors.
If anyone told me they were getting such poor mpg as you from a fairly low powered fuel injected V twin, I'd be wondering quite seriously about it.
Maybe it needs the injectors balancing.
Maybe it's running very rich as a result of a modification (check the plugs)
Or maybe you're just thrashing the nuts off it
:lol:

55mpg! I don't get close to that, if I try. I rarely see the low side of 6000rpm, mind you. For me, the G11 torque is disappointing until then.

I have the 003 map, MHP exhaust.

But you have just mentioned another must-do for Griso owners (which I havent done yet) - throttle body balance and throttle position sensor reset.

As all this has got messy with US galons, imperial gallons, km/lt and l/100 km :S
can you please talk about kms/miles from full tank until reserve light going on?
On second thought, should this go to some existing mpg thread?

Sorry, the conversation just dragged round to it :D

So a summary of recommended mods so far:

- set up your suspension
- drop the front forks 10-15mm
- change the bars if they feel uncomfortably wide
- change the hideous looking exhaust can
- remove the charcoal canister
- have the 003 map installed
- reset the TPS to 4.3(?)
- throttle body balance
- make sure the immobiliser aerial is correctly routed
- safety cable the headlight surround
- saw/dremel drain holes for the foggy dashboard
- get rid of the god damned Metzelers!
- change the front brake pads to HH pads

I need to do the TPS reset and TB balance. Might put some HH in as and when I decide to fit wave discs to the front end.

Didn't Pete talked in the past about double checking the CARC preload nut for the '06 models as there have been some improper assembly done in that year on a number of bikes ? (Just to make sure as the CARC is horribly over priced to replace).
Also, insulating the speedo sensor at the swingarm?

Mi_ka said:
Didn't Pete talked in the past about double checking the CARC preload nut for the '06 models as there have been some improper assembly done in that year on a number of bikes ? (Just to make sure as the CARC is horribly over priced to replace).
Also, insulating the speedo sensor at the swingarm?

The preload nut was only an issue on a few early Norges. Why? You tell me! But generally the CARC is pretty much impregnable!

Pete

GuzziHero said:
Might put some HH in as and when I decide to fit wave discs to the front end.

Having had both a G11 with conventional discs & a G8v with wavey ones I really wouldn't bother to change unless you've worn them down & need replacing. For me there was no discernable improvement in braking but you're quite right to consider better pads which do make a difference. But keep an eye on disc wear with really aggresive hard pads. If you really want to go the whole hog on brake upgrades what about the Berringers that Corsa Italiana sell for the G ?

pete roper said:
The preload nut was only an issue on a few early Norges. Why? You tell me! But generally the CARC is pretty much impregnable!

So Grisos are free of any CARC preload and fractured oil pump mess? These happened only on early Norges?

Will said:
GuzziHero said:
Might put some HH in as and when I decide to fit wave discs to the front end.

Having had both a G11 with conventional discs & a G8v with wavey ones I really wouldn't bother to change unless you've worn them down & need replacing.

I only want them because they look snazzy ;) I engine brake most of the time anyway!

Back