• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Phase 1 V7 Cafe mods

Kitze2

Just got it firing!
This saga was originally posted over on WG.
Thought it might be of interest here also

Little back ground.
I bought a 2010 V7 Cafe from MI in Dec. I bought it as a companion/replacement track bike for my SV650.
I also have an '08 Norge.

Previous to this thread I installed a Mistral pipe and cross over.
I also sent my forks off to Traxxion Dynamics to have theirr AK-20 cartridges installed.
After that...There is this...

So after much impatient waiting I've finally gotten my bike back in a ridable condition.
I guess I'll call this "Phase 1" as far as the mods go.

In my book the most important mods are suspension. So I started with

While the stock forks weren't horrible. There was certainly a lot of room for improvement.
I originally planned on installing some emulators. I've used 'em on several bikes in the past. And while they work pretty good they are still a damper rod set-up with all the inherent failings in the basic design. I toyed with making a new triple and installing the whole front end off a GSXR. That would have worked great. But it also would have been a total Frankenstein job. So from the aesthetics side that was out. So that brought me back to emulators. Somewhere I stumbled on a review of the ak-20 cartridges from Traxxion.
http://www.traxxion.com/AK-20AxxionCartridgeKit.aspx

Gave 'em a call..."No we don't have anything for Guzzi". "But" said the tech "send us your forks and info and we'll use 'em as a prototype" Sweet. So off they went along with all my personal riding info. Right out the gate there was a snag. Part of the install is modifying the fork caps to accept the adjusters. Well my caps were skeletonlized on the inside so there wasn't enough material to drill and tap for the cartridges. Well shot. I'd have to make new caps. And it would be pricey for a one off. But the tech said "Let me see if I can get the boss to make up several pairs for future use. We have a staff meeting tomorrow" Cool. He calls me back and sure enough they are gonna make a few sets. So my cost dropped dramatically.
Last Friday after 5 weeks I got the forks back. And they're cleaner then the day they were built. At 1st glance the look completely stock except for the sticker on the lower leg. Visible it upper photo. But a closer look shows those cool compression and rebound adjusters.

Stealthy.
So how do they work?
Compared to the OE setup they are infinitely better.
Excellent dampening under all conditions. Much better "feel" and control. The bike as a whole is much more composed with predictable handling. The only fly in the ointment are the springs. I spec'd out springs that are a wee bit too firm. But that's my screw up. Besides, I've got springs here anyways. Once that are swapped I'll be sittin' in tall cotton.

I can't say enough about Dan and Mike at Traxxion. They went above and beyond to help me get this done.

Unfortunately...Don't ask what it cost. As this was a prototype with a long turn around time (normal is about a week) I got the deal of the century. But the good news? They are now familiar with the Guzzi forks and can quickly do emulators or the full up AK-20 install without any hassle.

So much for the front...
With new fork guts on the horizon shocks became the next hit.
I looked at Ohlins but they have nothing for the V7 and no interest in 'em.
Penske was so impossible to deal with that they quickly dropped off the radar.
Bitubo has a nice Piggyback shock that should work. But after asking a few questions and getting completely incorrect info from the factory I ditched them.
So it was back to Ted about Wilbers. Imagine my shock when he told me that the 2010 application chart has my bike listed! After him confirming that they were in fact available I ordered those babies up. Now I like Wilbers, got one on the Norge, but they only had an emulsion type available. But I figured that based on my experience with the Norge that they would be adequate. The shocks showed up in a couple of weeks.

Like the Norge shock they are beautifully made. They work as well as the forks demand. Excellent dampening control and perfectly sprung. Plus as a bonus they are 10mm longer than stock. Perfect.
Other than the final tweaking the suspension is done. Oh yeah...I'm gonna lose the grab rail as soon as I get a chance to make some new fasteners.

Also installed a sump extender while I was waiting for the forks.

And installed some stickier rubber for the street. Ultimately I'll run the AN22 and 23s.

So...."Phase 2" begins next week.
The powercommander and auto tune should be here this week.
Decided to upgrade the brakes. New radial master cylinder will be here next week.
Figure I'll run with the stock rotor as an experiment. But I'm leaning towards a cast iron Braketech rotor.

"Phase 3" is rearsets and a diet. Haven't decided if I'll replace the steel rims with aluminum yet. I'd like to as part of the diet. We shall see.
On the rearset front...I'm hoping I can get my hands on the "Racer" parts. But I've made some preliminary sketches of my own in case the Guzzi parts fail to materialize.

I guess you could say...

To be continued...

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    601 KB · Views: 1,509
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,510
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,510
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,508
Hi Kitze, top info...

I've replaced my front fork springs (harder) and was advised to use 15wt oil, which are much better but they're still not great. I was going to get some emulators but I'll now get in touch with Traxxion. I'm hoping they can send me what I need in the post as I'm in the uk.

I've also got a radial beringer master cylinder and caliper - sadly the caliper won't fit but the master cylinder should. It doesn't have a brake light switch built in, so I'm wondering what type yours is ?

Mines a classic, which I think is a great bike. People moan about the lack of power, which I tend to agree with but to be honest you can't even use what it has with the standard suspension (and brakes...) - so agree with you on the suspension first idea.
Chrisk

Hey Chris,
I've got a Brembo RSC series. It has a switch built it. You can get a pressure switch that's not too dear. I've used them on other bikes without a hitch. They are basically a replacement banjo bolt with the switch built in. I'm not familiar with that caliper. But the V7 uses the same set up as several Ducatis (monster 696, 1000 early Multistradas etc)and Aprilias. Well, half of it anyways. So info and parts are available.
I believe that Stewart at the Spare Shack in London is a Traxxion dealer. Might see if he has any info. The forks do need some modification to fit the cartridges.
On the power front...More would be nice. But it is what it is. And it's not that bad. But some guys can never have enough.
Cheers

Hi Kitze2, do you know what diameter your master cylinder is, or in fact the original one ? I have a beringer 16mm one, niot sure if it's right..?
Chris

I have just purchased a v7 Racer and I'm doing mods also. I am in need of a cafe seat or classic if you are selling one. I had a local shop do my Griso seat in a cafe style in leather. I looked at the cost of mods and figured for the extra $2000, the mods on the Racer are worth the differance in $$. Suspension cost a grand and rearset a grand alone. I also know where you can by the Racer parts. ~T~

OEM brake master is 13mm. 15-16mm is usually for dual caliper/disk, Brembo's RCS is available in a 15mm, which would likely be one-finger to lock-up on a V7. That said, I love my Brembo radial 19mm's on all of my bikes (all dual disk of course). I can get them for anyone interested.

Back