• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Snorcal Not-A-Rally April 9-10 2011

Steve Hubbard and I and maybe some others will be heading over from the Hollister area Friday AM. Will take the most entertaining route we can find. Not sure when we'll get there but it likely 5ish.

guzzibob said:
Mark, got your LM IV back together, or planning to take something else?

It's all back together except the silencers. Hoping to find time tomorrow to wash it and ride it to work and bike night on Monday. But there is still lots of Kitchen stuff to do also so who knows. It'll get ridden Monday clean or dirty. Assuming it's running ok, I'll be riding it next weekend.

Hey you hooligans -
Got back in country yesterday, and looking forward to next weekend. Actually went on a little scouting ride today, to "check the conditions" of a coupla backroads, and just as importantly, get reacquainted with my beloved....
Just to recap: Lampliter Inn in Visalia for lodging; we can all gather in the bar there Friday evening from 5ish on, and simply take it from there. Start riding Sat AM, of course.
Mark, we'll talk about the maps.
Anyone, let me know if you have questions about anything - happy to try to help/answer, etc.
Anxious to see everyone and share this little part of CA with you all.
See you soon -
Jamileh

Well, even though I no longer have my yellow 01' Calif. Special, I'm afraid that this rally needs to be crashed by myself and my bmw r1150rt. I can't pass up a gathering set up exactly as I designed the first one 9 years ago. Anyone remember the first 'not a rally' in Los Alamos with the close motel, the band, the biker hangout with barbeque and drinks? Did you know the bar/restaurant owner was close friends with the local sheriff and had his guarantee that he wouldn't stop any of us as we drunkenly rode the block and a half back to the motel?
This sounds even one better, with motel, bar and restaurant all in one.
Good goin'
I have a room reserved and plan to be there about 4:30 .
Jim Houk

I do in fact fondly remember the first Los Alamos NAR, as well as the two (I think) subsequent ones, including the last one that I more or less put on. Really too bad that the Alamo Motel we stayed at then has become such a disgusting dump that it is no longer a viable NAR destination.

The second one was in Ojai. We had that little brewpub with a band and blocked off parking. We went to the 3 private bike (one had cars too) museums. Jeff Hotchkiss was my partner in putting these on. He got so wrecked at the bar we tried to have him just walk across the street and down a bit to the motel, but he was determined and almost dumped his bike in the parking lot before even getting onto the street. He's stuck up in Portland the last 5 years ( I was up there too 3 of the last 6 years). I was glad to see you hold another NAR after that.

I probably won't be there before 6. I'm really looking forward to the weekend, assuming I get off the mountain before the snow starts...

Jim, will be great to meet you - and an honor to have the NAR godfather in attendance!! Very cool!!
I'm going to try to get off work a little early Friday, and hope to be set up in the Lampliter bar by 5 PM, to help Jim welcome everyone.

One thing to note: Mineral King Ave, which the Lampliter is on, is a ONE WAY street going WEST. So for those of you coming from the west, if you get off freeway 198 on Demaree Ave, you'll need to continue east to either County Center or Mooney Blvd, turn north, then double back west on Mineral King to Lampliter. Sounds more complicated than it is.

OK, one last thing: stealing an idea from Jim's post, I took the liberty of making arrangements for us NAR hooligans to go look at a fantabulous vintage motorcycle collection right here in Visalia, owned by Don Harrell. I saw it several years ago, and it is incredible. He's going to show it to us 5 PM Saturday. We can either go straight there after riding, or recon at the motel and go from there, depending on timing. Just wanted to let you know.....
Ride safe and see you soon!!!

Sounds great, J!

Rich & I will be leaving LA around 1pm, hoping to arrive by 5. There may be snow (definitely will be windy - the two don't mix well!) on the Grapevine Friday. Got any alternatives? All I can see on the map that's practical is taking SR14 up to 58 and west to 99 at Bakersfield. US101 looks way out-of-the-way. Whaddya think?

-Mike

Hey Mike -
I hate to say what kind of weather we had in Visalia this afternoon, but hopefully that means it's all gone and done with by now... fingers crossed!!!
I don't know of any routes other than what you mentioned. Of course, coming over Tehachapi can be pretty windy, but I'm assuming you guys know that. I took the LONG way once coming home from my folks' place in SFV - 101 to 41 to 198 and home - yes, that was LONG. Probably 5 hours, but you'd avoid all the bad weather. So, 14 if you can take the wind; otherwise it's 101. Just do what keeps you safe and sound. We'll keep a barstool warm for you, and Sat we'll just have funfunfun.... my cell: 559-352-5844. Call for anything; we'll be waiting for you. Will be great to see you and Rich.

Thanks! Looks like we'll hit some rain somewhere north of Bakersfield this afternoon, but maybe it'll be ok between LA & the Central Valley if we leave on time. See you this evening. And thanks for the cell number! Mine: (562) 355-6240

thank you Jamileh and David that was a bunch of fun and made it home with tread on front tire :eek: can't wait until the next one.

Jamileh and David, that was the "funnest" riding I've had in a couple of years! And it was great meeting the NorCal'ers too. I'm in for the next one :cool:

Hey guys,
It was great meeting you all, sorry I had to take off a day early. As it turned out, my wife's girlfriend held off from having her go up to San Francisco so I could have stayed. Ended up going up and visiting my friend near the entrance of King's Canyon and after checking weather cut across the 46 to 33 and south all the way over the mountains into Ojai and home to Ventura (only time on the freeway was Visalia to the 46). Those mountains would have been a more enjoyable ride if they didn't have their "ICE" signs out every few miles, but it wasn't too cold even at 5100 feet surprisingly. Nothing like the ride down the grapevine Friday!
Thanks for the great evening and morning.
Jim

Indeed it was a great time.

Dave and Jamileh did a fantastic job of putting together a fun weekend for all who came from Northern and Southern California. It seemed everyone had an adventure getting there (rain, snow, wind, broken brake levers) Friday, but the weather was clear Saturday and Sunday and the riding was incredible. Miles and miles of deserted backroads through beautiful green hills. After the ride, we hit up the brit bike collection and then had dinner back at the hotel. I don't know exactly how many made it but I think it was more than 15. I'm sure pretty much everyone had a good time and is looking forward to the next one.

A few pics

On the ride over from Hollister
img0145m.jpg

Hwy 190
img0163rw.jpg

Kicking tires
img0167zf.jpg

Hanging at the Pott Garage
img0149yi.jpg

Enjoying the view from 190
img0158xe.jpg

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg31 ... 1QQtppZZ36

Have no idea if this oicture thingie will work. The first 50 or so pix are from this weekend.

Had a total blast this weekend, actually thanks to the very able not-a-planning-committee - Mark, Bob, and Glenn!! And thanks to David for leading the rides (and showing me many of these roads in the first place...).
So glad everyone made it here and home safe and sound. No small feat considering the conditions!!! Everyone, without exception, had a real adventure getting to Visalia on Friday. And some of you - Greg - had a real adventure just TRYING to get to Visalia on Friday. Was great to have the remaining crew arrive safely on Saturday.
What an added pleasure getting to meet the not-a-rally godfather himself -Jim Houk!! Just so sorry you couldn't stay for the whole thing, Jim. We tried to do you proud....

It was just wonderful to ride and hang out with a group of people who are so easygoing, upbeat, low-maintenance, and experienced riders. Really great group.... All are welcome here again anytime. Y'all realize we hardly scratched the roads surface, right???

Thanks again everyone, and come back soon!!

I do think the link to photobucket worked. I'm not trying to get you to look at any other pix - I'm just too tired to pick out and resize pix to post - the right sides of pix always get chopped off, for some reason. (just fyi, the next batch of pix after these are from NZ, but you'll go blind if you look at even half the NAR pix..... so just disregard.)
Take care, all.

Back