• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V11 Performance Mods...thoughts?

IBA 270

Tuned and Synch'ed
Howdy gang!

Now that I've got the Guzzi running properly, it's time to begin exploring the various options for blowing a wad of money making it "better".

Here are my thoughts, and please share any info and ideas. Guzzi based info is pretty hard to find on the 'net...

1) Suspension;

The Sachs shock is rebuildable and of course I can respring if need be. It's not the best option, but for now, might be the way to go before an investment into a Penske or Ohlins or...?. At the same time...money into a rebuild could be money towards a better solution.

The forks? A quandry. I have a two pair of Showa forks, one with Ohlins internals and the others with Race Tech. I THINK they might be too short. They're off of a Ducati 748. I don't know if the zooks are rebuildable/revalve-able...I assume they are respringable. If they are...who do you recommend? I know of several good folks in my area (dallas) but if there's someone out there that's done this, then please, fire away!

2) Brakes

Probably going with Brembo 4 pots from the "X99" Ducati and Aprilia Mille line. I think I might actually have a set. They bolt right up and they are awesome brakes. If anyone is thinking about this upgrade...do it. You can find them on eBay and at Gothom Cycles fairly regularly.

3) Motor...ah, the motor...

Pistons, PCIII...It's probably as far as I want to go, but I'm wondering what my gains will be? Anybody have a dyno chart with gains from the 11.1 pistons? Is it worth messing with? This isn't going to be a track bike, but a fun all arounder. I'm hunting an exhaust now...and M4 is two miles from my house..PLUS I've got a personal contact with the proprietors. Might be able to lay my hands on something different from them.

Unless you have a huge wad of cash to blow, suspension may be the best starting point. I have fitted an Ohlins rear shock to my wife's V11 Sport, and had the forks converted by Maxton where they basically throw away all the standard items and rebuild with their own internals and new adjusters. The ride quality is now superb in comparison.

I fitted FBF high comp pistons to my Rosso Corsa and tested on the dyno afterwards- the result was a big wad of extra mid range which makes the bike feel like it spins up faster. You wont get any more peak power from this, just more power and torque where you need it. It's easy to find good quality high octane fuel here, which you will need because they dont like low octane stuff. Mich Rich also use to sell similar high comp pistons. The ECU was flashed using Ultimap softwarde- not sure if they are still going but there are plenty of other options.

If you were thinking big, you could buy a Centauro or Daytona motor, get a 1225cc big bore kit and fit a 125bhp motor in your V11, which will fit with some tweaking, and sell your V11 motor to offset some of the cost. Maybe a better option that say spending a fortune tuning your V11 to get 85bhp at the wheel, compared to a standard 80bhp.

Never found any problems with the brakes at all, plenty of power and feel. Not as violent as the radial Brembos on my old S4Rs but still pretty good.

I have no idea what has been done to Chuck's Scura, (Which used to be mine.) in the engine department but that thing is the closest thing I've ever come to a motorbike version of John Holmes! Fuck me drunk it's got 'The Bollocks!' It'd be almost worth paying him to have it taken apart and looked at to see exactly why it is so bloody good! :lol:

As far as *we* know there is nothing special in the engine. It has a PCIII, sorted suspension and Mike and Davey at MPH just went through the tranny and final drive for me, (And, in the case of the Scura, put a real clutch/flywheel in it.) but other than that it is essentially 'Stock' to the best of our knowledge.

AND IT'S BONKERS!

Really bonkers!

I wish I hadn't sold it to the great, greying, Indianan bastard, but I did! And like all fishermen it is always great to have the story of "The one that got away!" :lol:

Model your bike on Chuck's and I can gaurantee you soiled underpants a-Go-Go!!! Whenever you twist the go handle. 2nd gear wheelie on throttle alone? Even with a great fat 'tard like me on it? Only a thought away! What it's like with Chuck's more svelte pelt on it I hate to think! No wonder I binned it in New Mexico! That is one, as you Yanks say, 'Bad-Ass' motorbike :evil:

Pete

:lol: I'll be keeping Petey's x Scura until I can't throw a leg over it any more.. it's the fastest Guzzi I've ever ridden. It would smoke my old Centauro, and they make 95 hp on the dyno the way mine was set up.
As Pete said, we don't know why. All you can see is a Staintune exhaust that shakes the earth, an open airbox, and PC111. It has *lots* of torque right off the bottom. A guy needs to be careful with the throttle in the twistys, or I'm sure it would spit your ass off. It does have FBF head guards, and FBF makes some stuff for the big block, and, the bike originally came from the east, but...
I'm a happy camper with this bad boy.. :evil:

Sounds like a fun bike, Chuck!

I'm looking for a little more performance, but not a monster bike...I've got track bikes for that...and tracks to ride them on! I just like a little more hustle from turn to turn on the road.

FWIW...I let my old 900SS get away from me a couple of years ago. I made one and only one modification to the motor; I removed the goofy mikuni's for a set of FCR flat slides. It changed mid range performance slightly, and wasn't really impressive on the dyno, but "seat of the pants" made it feel like 12hp...I kid you not!

So...pistons are $450 give or take...another hundred or so in beer and gaskets...and new head bolts maybe...plus a PCIII...so figure a grand...

Worth it?

I've dug out my old dyno chart from 2006 showing the before FBF pistons and after comparison. You can see the gains between 2500 and 6500 revs in both power and torque, dont believe the FBF hype about 100bhp and all that- total bollocks but you do get a fat midrange boost just where it feels good.

DynorunV11.jpg

Those are nice numbers! Any mods besides pistons? I bet that does feel pretty good...

IBA 270 said:
Those are nice numbers! Any mods besides pistons? I bet that does feel pretty good...

Pffft.. the Mighty Scura RC (rubber chicken) will blow away a mere 80 hp Guzzi.. :evil: :D :D :p ;)

IBA 270 said:

Stucchi x over, Mistral pipes, K and N pod filters- and yes she felt pretty good!

guzzirider said:
IBA 270 said:

Stucchi x over, Mistral pipes, K and N pod filters- and yes she felt pretty good!

Sweet! So...you didn't have to reflash the computer or ad a PCIII? Very nice! I love the pod filters on mine...I made the conversion just a couple of weeks ago. The bike is new to me, and I have NO idea on the history of it and what's been done. It doesn't have a PCIII. While it doesn't feel like much through the lower RPM's, it' wakes up something fierce at 6K...with those loud sucking K and N's screeming!

Still...there can always be a little more... :evil:

Back