• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Getting my Bellagio wheels of the ground

Guy R

Tuned and Synch'ed
Excuse my ignorance as I'm relatively new to Guzzi's. Wanting to carry out some of my own maintenance, I'm facing the challenge of no centre stand on the Bellagio. I don't have a bike lift of any sort, although, I'll probably end up buying one at some stage. My question is about the stength of the sumps/oil pan castings.

Is it viable to support the front wheel off the ground by jacking under the sump and resting it on a piece of timber etc?

While this is the Griso/Bellagio thread.. I'm not 100% sure on the similarities between the two models. I do know that Moto Guzzi offers a 'maintenance stand' under P/N GU973243500010 for the Griso. I believe it comes with a stand to place under the oil pan, there's a flat spot on the bottom of the oil pan to place the stand.

Perfectly OK to use a support under the sump as long as you're using a lift with a plank on it rather than a simple jack. Something like this

5206050312_4b882dbc14_z.jpg

Sorry, the pic isn't very clear but its the only one I can easily find. Put a wooden platform between the two arms of the lift and slip under the sump to lift but make sure that you have the bike stable and prefferably tied down. When you lift the bike is rear heavy so the front will lift first and it will be unstable unless tied down or held. If you want to remove the rear wheel you need to tie it down at the front and then jack and it'll pivot around the front axle.

For service work like oil and filter changes you won't be able to do this though as the filter lives in the sump and it'll have to be removed and you can't do that with a jack underneath it!!!

Pete

Thanks for the replies guys. Gives me a lot more confidence to set some sort of lifting device up. I'm keen to inspect and repack things like my steering head bearings and rear suspension linkages etc. Seems like they leave the factory pretty dry although people tell me that this is not unique to Moto Guzzi these days. :shock:

BellagioBob said:
i am still looking for a way to raise the Bellagio!

Currently using an ABBA stand, originally made for Spine frame models and which also works with Tonti frames.
Mine uses the triangulated points on the frame hidden behind the 2 alloy trims.
I had to ask for some slightly different mounts to use with the stand, but ABBA supplied them by return.

The only additional difficulty is using a couple of bits of 4 x 2 wood to block the stand up high enough, but it is quite stable and allows a jack to be used under the sump to raise the front wheel.

As a matter of interest, my less than 3 year old machine had managed to weld the mounting bolt inside the hardened bush in the front mounting point of the rear suspension Y linkage. I would recommend that these linkages are given some attention sooner rather than later as the solution was neither quick nor easy given the difficulty of access to this part of the frame.

I have the Griso paddock stand but I did have to get different bobbins made up.

bellstd.jpg

Hi Guy R and Bellagiobob,

As Davidbellagio used a original Guzzi Griso stand, you also could use the Becker stand.
You have to ask Davidbellagio what other "bobbins" he made up to make it fit...
Here's a picture of my griso on the Becker stand:

This stand is not big, easy to use, not too expensive.
Here is his site:
http://www.becker-technik.de/

Ad B

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 631
The Becker stand looks far better designed & made, much easier to use and is cheaper than the Guzzi one. I was going to buy one until I found a Guzzi one on ebay so unbelieveably cheap I changed my mind. As it was from a Guzzi dealership clearing unsold stock I guess maybe the market for the genuine Guzzi stand has collapsed now the better Becker one is available?

Not sure what is better about the Becker stand. I had the Guzzi stand for my Cenrauro and now have the Guzzi stand for my G12. It's an excellent piece and is as easy to use as it gets. Deployed and removed from the same side of the bike in seconds. I think the long handle of the Guzzi item makes for a more more user friendly, quick, easy and very stable stand.

Mark

One of the things I'm not keen about with the Guzzi stand is that you have to be careful the bobbin on the right side locates on the stand as you lift the bike off the side stand. The Becker bolts on so there's no doubt its in the right place......and once its bolted on you can operate it with your foot like a conventional centre stand. I find getting the bike off the Guzzi stand awkward because the handle is so far back. Also I have to remove the lefthand pannier because the handle is so long. And the Becker looks to have far superior wheels.

I admit these are only minor irritations...... and I'm more than willing to put up with them because I got the Guzzi stand so damn cheap. But if I'd been paying full price I would never have bought one. I'd have got the Becker which even with post to the UK from Germany is cheaper than the Guzzi one.

Looking at the pictures & video on their website it looks like there there is a threaded bar with wing nuts running the width of the stand. In the video they are tightened after the stand is located on the bobbins on the bike and before the bike is lifted onto the stand.

http://www.becker-technik.de/Griso-Lift ... ifter.html

Hi,

The bushings are put over the heads of the allen bolts.
In my opinion they were too small, it will work, but I like bigger bobbins to carry my sweet Griso.
So I've made new ones at home.
I've described them here:
https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/188/57 ... 158#p44158
Along with a few pictures and drawing (a kind of ...).
Maybe this can help you.

Ad B

Back