• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge Tank Bag Questions

cmgies

Tuned and Synch'ed
Howdy,

I recently went to the Helibar setup for my Norge (love it). The problem is that now the Moto Guzzi tank bag that I have been using no longer works due to interference. I went on a local club ride yesterday and because I didn't have the tank bag, I had to tape the instructions to the tank so that I could find my way on the very circuitous route.

Two questions:

1. What smallish tank bag that can be mounted fairly far back on the tank should I be looking at to replace the Moto Guzzi one?

2. Anyone want to buy my perfectly good Moto Guzzi tank bag?

Michael
'07 Red Norge

I went for the Bag Connections Daypack II which clips to a tank ring. MikeC had pics and stuff on the old board, with luck he'll pipe up and share the info with you.

http://www.motorradgarage.com.au/catalo ... c59cc731e5 shows the various bags.

You choose where to place the bag on the tank ring, so you can set it to clear the bars. Mine just touches the helibars on full lock.

Zebee

cmgies said:
**** Anyone want to buy my perfectly good Moto Guzzi tank bag? ****

Not "uninterested" if not already sold, but, as I drone on, below, think I'd rather go that route if it is as I think ... and works!

BLUF: I have disliked tank bags since the (incredibly powerful) magnets on the bottom of my vintage-2000 OEM Guzzi one picked up a staple and I didn't see it when I raettached on the EV. Next gas stop made me sick. :woohoo:

That said, tank bags are annoyingly practical and wonderfully convenient, so here I am (again) thinking about one.

In an old thread here about tank-bag mounting, https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/post/q ... 188&p=6575, Allan said, "I would recommend that you fit the tank ring as set out in Mike C's post. I fitted one to my VII and adjusted another one (thanks Mike) to the Norge. I have 2 bags from SW TECH, a day bag and a bigger tank bag for long distance. They have been from Bundy to Ayres Rock, Darwin, Phillip Island a couple of time and never let me down. Mine are not embroidered so don't have the same leaking problems Mike has mentioned. Might need some clear adhesive under a bigger bag for long distance and when you carry some weight Google "Norrus" in nth Qld who stock the bags. Ain't cheap but I reckon they're worth it.”

By Mike’s post, think Allan referred to this, https://www.guzzitech.com/index.php?op ... =44&id=669, tho, unfortunately, I can only get this when I light it up: “The Forum is currently offline for maintenance. Check back soon!” C’est la vie … and old forum stuff. Sigh.

In any event, [I think] I am interested in that system.

I went to Norrus, then found that there is a USA dealer, but they – Twisted-Throttle – said the Quick-Lock had nothing for Norge. Hmmmmmmm.

They have same stuff as Norrus, so wonder (Mike and Allan, you all reading this?) is this the mount you used, http://www.norrus.net/catalog/product_i ... ts_id=3970 ?

As my Norge has no exposed screws at the gas-cap filler ring, I cannot imagine how this would work.

While at it, wondered what bag you all chose. Leaning toward VINA, but not fixed on that. For many reasons, not sure I want large luggage on tank.

Suppose my biggest question is does the quick-release mounting ring essentially elevate the bag over the tank, thus avoiding abrasion, etc.? I do not mean if loaded with lead ingots, of course, but within specified and common-sense load limits.

Many thanks.

Bill

Many thanks, Mike.

Three questions remain.

1. I take it that the small "arch" depicted in step 6 is what you refer to when you say "grind," i.e., there was no such indentation before you put it there?

2. I'd have to open another couple of windows here to confirm, but do I understand you to say that this system only keeps the smaller bags off the tank, and does not do that for the larger ones ... appropriately weighted, of course?

3. So, when would you be free to come to Atlanta and do this for me? Can't afford your Mrs., too, but might spring for you. :laugh:

Again, thanks; very helpful.

Bill

My pleasure :ugeek:

1) You create this small access hole, I used a dremel tool with the sanding drum attachment - go slowly or you will melt the plastic. It is needed to allow you to get a ball headed allen key onto the head of the new mounting bolt that is required in this spot. This bolt must have a countersunk head as otherwise the bolt would sit up into the space occupied by the locking pin that holds the bag onto the mount.

2) We have two of their smaller bags (Day Pack II and Trip) and they sit completely off the tank. The City Bag that I also use sits only against the rear of the tank, but I have used it for many thousands of K's and there is no evidence of scuffing. Having said that I am not one to be anal about the finer details of paintwork and indeed rarely give the bikes more than a cursory wash down, but as I said to date there appears to be no ill effects on the paint surface from the bag. A simple solution if your worried about it might be some of the clear paint protecting film over the tank in the area where the bag would sit.

3) We have a long weekend next week for ANZAC day, make sure the fridge is full :mrgreen:

Bill, I'm not sure if I ever mentioned it to you, but I think you should look into the model below! :silly:

DoggyBag.png

RJVB said:
Bill, I'm not sure if I ever mentioned it to you, but I think you should look into the model below! :silly:

DoggyBag.png

I'm officially ignoring you now. :S Seriously, my almost-90-YO mom has a dog like that. Oliver. I hate the little shix. I plan to batter and deep-fry him if he outlives my mom. :evil:

Mike.C said:
My pleasure :ugeek:

*** snip ****

3) We have a long weekend next week for ANZAC day, make sure the fridge is full :mrgreen:

First, next weekend should work out well. That's the Inman Park Festival -- http://www.inmanparkfestival.org/festival.php -- and we'll have a fine time. Even have an Australian flag I bought when the Ropester visited; need a N.Z. one to mark ANZAC day properly, tho, but have time to order. Pete is/was a Corona fan, but can stock up whatever pleases you. :lol:

Appreciate the tips. Probably going to order, pray, and install.

Bill

Bill Hagan said:
I'm officially ignoring you now. :S Seriously, [...] I plan to batter and deep-fry him if he outlives my mom. :evil:

Well, then it won't serve any purpose if I mention I never thought you'd carry around a mongrel in there, but rather something along the lines of a cactus? :mrgreen:

Hi Bill

Sorry for not posting earlier but I just saw your post today (21/4). Looks like Mike C has answered your questions anyway.
I bought the Daypack first but underestimated just how small it was.
I then bought the "engage sport" (not cheap though) which should meet anyones needs. Whether it "sags" down and touches the tank does depend on what is in it and how far back the ring is situated, I have it set sone distance back (towards the rider) and while it may sometimes rub on the LeMans tank it doesn't on the Norge. I do carry some reasonable amount of gear in it at times.

If you are concernd about any rubbing then just put on some clear material (see http://www.tankslapper.com) or the like in any area where it might rub. I just got some material from the local car tinting place but tankslapper is in the us.

regards
Allan K

The daypack is small, but I like that! It takes a fair bit of "Stuff I need all the time" such as wallet, phone, PDA, small tool pouch, pouch of electronic whatsits, and a few other smallish things in the unexpanded version, lunch and a book in the expanded version, even a jumper if I try. It's a great commuter tool, and a good "everything you need between touring stops except the wet gear" one too.

When I followed MikeC's instructions, I found I needed to expand the metal ring as we were about half a hole out. This was done by a friend with an anvil who eyeballed it, gave it one hit on the anvil horn, and that was that. If I hadn't had him then I expect I'd have worked something out with a vice and a bit of pipe.

I can't recall if I had to cut access for the Allen key, I think I managed without.

I truly love my Daypack and tank ring, I have another ring waiting to be installed somewhere on The Mighty Scooter (when it comes back from the inevitable consequences of being a hot Italian 2 stroke) so I can use the bag on that.

Mike.C said:

Saw this yesterday:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/luggage/tank_bags/cortech_by_tour_master/dryver_tank_bag.html

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts...aster/dryver_tank_bag_mounting_ring_sets.html

Then, remembering Mike C's wonderfully detailed and illustrated post, above, tried to figure out if this would fit without the drilling the QuikLok did on the Norge. That scared me too much to give it a try.

Now, my head hurts from comparing and I still don't know. Naturally, the "fitment guide" doesn't mention Guzzis.

Mike C.? Anyone? Will the fuel-tank filler-ring for the Norge work with this model?

Thanks.

Bill

G'DAy Bill,

Nice to hear your friendly voice mate B)

I had a bo peep at the fitment chart for the cortech and they list several Yamahas, but can't be certain if it will fit.

What I did originally when faced with the question was get a diagram from the supplier and then he kindly sent me the one I chose for trial, he was happy to send as many as I wanted and then just charge for the final one that fitted, a bit of good old suck-it-and-see engineering. Helps if the supplier is a trusting soul I guess.

Anyway, FWIW we have a couple of Corteh Mini bags on our BM's (excuse the swearing) and they have proven to be quite well made.

Sorry I can't help further.

Seeyalater

Hi Bill,

If you are still struggling to fit that tank bag, I am sure that Mike and myself would be still prepared to travel over and fit the ring and bag on the Norge.
I don't live too far from Mike (Brisbane and Bundaberg are just 3-4 hours away, subject to police presence) so the cost of our airfares shouldn't vary a lot. :D
Allan

zebee said:
I went for the Bag Connections Daypack II which clips to a tank ring. MikeC had pics and stuff on the old board, with luck he'll pipe up and share the info with you.

http://www.motorradgarage.com.au/catalo ... c59cc731e5 shows the various bags.

You choose where to place the bag on the tank ring, so you can set it to clear the bars. Mine just touches the helibars on full lock.

Zebee

Hi Zebee

Are you still monitoring this list? If so, can you tell me which mounting bracket you purchased to fit the tank bag to the Norge? Motorad only list compatibility with the Breva, Cali and Nevada.

Thanks

Rob

Hi Bobra,
I saw your post and you will see that I was involved in earlier posts after putting the tank ring on my Norge and VII as per Mike's instructions.
The part number for the mounting system is a SW-Mototech part TRT.00.475.110 for a Yamaha/Ducati, 5 screw fuel cap (plus your bag of choice).

All care taken BUT no responsibility :p

Allan

AllanK said:
Hi Bobra,
I saw your post and you will see that I was involved in earlier posts after putting the tank ring on my Norge and VII as per Mike's instructions.
The part number for the mounting system is a SW-Mototech part TRT.00.475.110 for a Yamaha/Ducati, 5 screw fuel cap (plus your bag of choice).

Allan

Only just caught up with this. Thanks Allan. I checked the Motorrad web site and the 475.110 is a ring with a built in power supply. Is that necessary? I was looking for something a little more simple :D

Also, the link to Mike's instructions appears to have broken - are they posted anywhere else?

Thanks

bobra said:
AllanK said:
Hi Bobra,

Allan

Only just caught up with this. Thanks Allan. I checked the Motorrad web site and the 475.110 is a ring with a built in power supply. Is that necessary? I was looking for something a little more simple :D

Also, the link to Mike's instructions appears to have broken - are they posted anywhere else?

Thanks

Anyone out there? Allan or Mike? Can you advise on the right part number for the tank bag mount?

Thanks

bobra said:
AllanK said:
Hi Bobra,

Allan

Thanks

The Non power ring is SW-Motech TRT.00.640.11000.B cross referenced from Twisted Throttle catalogue.
Looking at putting a tank bag on my Norge.

Back