• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

If you had a choice ? A Pannier question ? .

The Civil One

Just got it firing!
Hey ,
Just picked up my Stelvio , and have to say am loving it.
Doesnt seem to be much in the Line of Accesories , in comparison with the GS .
The Pannier situation ,doesnt look to hot ,, None of the adventure pannier makers are on the trail ,as it were ...

So , just to cut to the Chase ,
If you could have a set of Adventure Luggage for your Stelvio ,
Would you mind losing the Grab Rail and Side Plastics , to accomadate a decent luggage capacity ,
within the boundries of the 91 CM handlebar width ..
Or
Are you happy with your elephant Ears set up ?

I have the Moto Guzzi aluminium panniers fitted. they are well built and good quality and are made by TRAX. They hold a decent amount of kit, the mounting system is sturdy and they are easy to fit and remove. The only downside is they make the bike a lot wider so it's harder to filter between lines of traffic, it's still possible but you have to be so much more aware of your width as they stick out a few inches past the handlebar.
I have a GIVI 46 litre top box that I use on a day to day basis, and only use the panniers when going away for a few days.

fatal said:
I have the Moto Guzzi aluminium panniers fitted. they are well built and good quality and are made by TRAX. They hold a decent amount of kit, the mounting system is sturdy and they are easy to fit and remove. The only downside is they make the bike a lot wider so it's harder to filter between lines of traffic, it's still possible but you have to be so much more aware of your width as they stick out a few inches past the handlebar.
I have a GIVI 46 litre top box that I use on a day to day basis, and only use the panniers when going away for a few days.

As per fatal, the stock panniers (by Trax) are good but wide. Most of the aftermarket aluminium boxes can be made to fit, it just depends how much effort and what access to tools and equipment you have ?

I too would go with the Trax boxes, well made easy fitting & don't leak. I had the smart Guzzi plastic ones on my Sport and they leaked like a seive plus being an odd shape weren't the easiest to pack. I've also fitted the Givi Trek topbox which seems to compliment the panniers.

Ian

The Civil One said:
So , just to cut to the Chase ,
If you could have a set of Adventure Luggage for your Stelvio ,
Would you mind losing the Grab Rail and Side Plastics , to accomadate a decent luggage capacity ,
within the boundries of the 91 CM handlebar width ..

Everyone mentions the Width , which i think is dangerous .
The Question is Above ?

i would not want to lose the grab rail etc; as I think it would spoil the look of the bike. I'm just a bit more careful when filtering, why keep the panniers on all the time if they are not being used?

I'd keep the grab rail as I use them when I'm bungeeing the tent and sleeping bag on the back seat.

I'm very happy with the TRAX boxes and wouldn't change them.

Once I'm out of the city the width isn't an issue as long as you remember that she's got a wide backside so give a wide berth when overtaking or filtering.

I also have Guzzi panniers and think they are very practical, and better if you buy the optional carry handels.

A good point to note is that a mate dropped his Stelvio and the panniers took most of the very low speed crunch (along with the crash bars) but with careful work the damaged one was tapped out to be just about as good as new - amazing quality and strong enough to support the weight of the downed Stelivo which suffered only minor damage.

The width isn't so much of an issue as the bars are quite wide so the extra few inches are not much unless you go in for close filtering - well that's my opinion. I ride with them on a lot now.

I have the Guzzi (Trax) bags, and a Givi trunk that I clip on when traveling.
Width is a minor issue. I really like the bags.

I have the Trax 37 liter panniers with the 38 liter top box. Good quality equipment. I don't know the price difference between the Guzzi label version but check out their product info at Twisted Throttle here: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/688
If you choose to go this route and want the top box to set correctly on the stock rack I have made up adapter plates and have published a drawing of what they are so others can reproduce if they want. You should be able to find that thread here. If not let me know and I'll either post it here or send it to you.

I wish one of you guys with a Stevio out in Arizona would get with Al Jesse and let him fit a pair of his bags for it. Back when the Stelvio was introduced, Al said he contacted Guzzi NA but they would not provide a bike for him to fit. That was before the Trax Guzzi bags.

Jesse does a great job of providing durable bags that fit close-up and have a narrow profile. I've used more than one pair and currently I am running a set on my 1200GS.

http://www.jesseluggage.com/

I've been happy with the Trax bags that came with mine. The compliment the looks of the Stelvio and are very dry. I'll be adding the top box within the next week.

The width hasn't been an issue with me either, as I don't lane split. It's suicide in New England. :eek:hmy:

I've got a givi trekker 46l top case. i think it goes well with the trax cases and my bike, as it's black and silver. You can't fit two full face helmets in it, which may put some people off but i use mine for keeping stuff in, not helmets. When we stop I just lock helmets upto the bike.

DSCF1631-1.jpg

Got the full Givi set up, brake light in the top box and also the tops of the side panniers open. All very secure also we have been in some really silly weather and they have never leaked. Don't worry about the wide rear end you soon get used to it. The other thing I like is it all comes off when you go into the hotel at night so that you can have all your (her) stuff in the room. (See avatar with all luggage outside Stelvio Hotel in Italy.)

n.b. all are 45l capacity, enough room for two for two weeks away.

Back