• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

How do you kill a Griso??

clivepc

Just got it firing!
High everyone, I just joined the other day. my 07 1100 griso is my second Guzzi and my 42nd bike.
so how DO you kill an 07 Griso? well, one way is to get it well run in, say about 3000 miles, then take a trip up a dusty Idaho road, (preferably not too far from home) then have a momentary lapse of concentration (You can try numerous things for this, nude women, tax bills, people who owe you money etc) then, on an adverse camber bend, just wander off the road enough to slip off into the adjacent ditch! Now, when your Harley Davidson riding friend doubles back to help you, spend a few futile minutes trying to drag the Guzzi out of the ditch, then, deciding to run home for your truck, hop on the back of the Harley (Embarressed and pondering the mistake) and ride off home with the noise of the unbelievably loud Harley exhausts drowning out the gentle idling of the Guzzi as she sits in the ditch, STILL running!! pateiently awaiting your 45 minute return.
at least, that's one way!
So, now it is home, engine sensors and wiring melted, several broken body parts, even the alternator belt cover melted off the bike before she died.
this is my long, embarrassing and hopefully somewhat amusing way of asking if anyone knows where I can get information regarding bore tollerances, ring gap, head torque settings, and other technical info, anyone? please? :(

"Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how'd you like the show?" :shock:
Crap! Sorry about your luck!
Can't help you out, but hope all gets sorted soon

Because when you're in shock you do all sorts of dumb things.

Let me reply to this a bit later, I've got to go and pick up another Griso from Sydney this morning!!!!

Pete

Down, but not out...

The beginning of a bike reborn...

What are your plans?

Obviously it is impossible to tell how much damage may of been done and to what componentry. The only way to tell and the only sensibe course of action is to strip the engine at least to its last nut and bolt. If it was still ticking over when you returned some time later it obviously hasn't expeose dthe oil pick up because if that happens it would of run its big ends and seized them or its mains. It certainly wouldn't of still been running.

That being the case you might be surprised. Regardless of end gap the rings will be toast. If they've got that hot for any length of time they will of lost their tension, at least partially. Just get new ones and be done with it. If the bores look OK? They probably are. Just check 'em with a bore gauge. Have a sqizz at the big end shells and crank-pin. If they look good? Just put 'em back together. I'd use new rod bolts. Many don't but I never rebuild a motor with the old bolts.

Check valve spring free length and replace if needed. Check stem to guide wear and make sure the guides haven't moved in the head. Make sure you replace all seals and use the correct head gaskets.

If the big ends and crankpin are OK you can probably trust that the mains are too but that is a gamble. It all depends on whether you're a betting man. At such a low mileage there is no real reason to remove the crank to clean the sludge trap, it should be empty.

At the end of the day if you want to be 100% certain it'll be a 'Last nut and bolt' job but if you know it was still running and when you get to the crankpin it looks OK its up to you to decide if you're feeling lucky.

pete

thanks everyone for the well wishes, like Pete says, shock, bewilderment, and like i said, that bloody loud Harley drowning out the Guzzi. Anyway, Insurance did pay out and totaled the bike as the body parts, headlight, bars, master cyclinder....etc.. amounted to more than the value. engine is stripped to the crank and i WILL rebuild it.
the downloadable manual appears to be a "Service" manual, so, no info on engine specs. I honestly think the majority of the problems are wiring and sensors. the pistons look like new although there are some odd marks on the bores, not scours, but some isolated "Dimples" in the coating. the big ends feel good although have a wee bit more side ro side wobble than I'd like and in any event, like you say Pete, i'll replace the rings but will still want to check the gap. I have a local firm that will recoat the bores but i need the specs to check size and tollerance. I really need a real "Work Shop Manual"
I'll say this, that engine is so nicely put together, i had it down in no time with no more than a hacksaw and a hammer! (Just joking) great engineering. I just rebuilt my 71 750 Triumph Bonny. I used to work for CCM (If anyone knows who they are) back in the day, so I've built quite lierally hundreds of Brit engines. This Guzzi is frickin marvelous! Admitably, some of that is down to it being simple and ancient in design, but none the less, 2 little bolts holding in the rocker arms, spindles, and pushrods! bloody loverly. Anyway, anyone got a direction for the specs i need?? thanks for all the responses. motorcylists are good people.. C.

I'm sorry, tounge in cheek doesn't always come accross on a forum. I wasn't trying to be a smartellic. I do hope you're allright and the engine goes back together nicely for you. Keep posting about what you find and your status of getting the 8v engine up and running.

All the best,

Mark

Absolutely no offense taken Mark. Actually, it does sound more like a murder, beleive me, I felt very much like I committed a crime! My Griso is a 4V, which at this point. I'm glad about. I am really confident about getting it running again and while I'm at it I intend to give it a mild Custom job, semi cafe racer, repaint and some other goodies. I'm going to put "Clubman" bars on it inverted. This will be the 4th set of bars on the bike, I find the originals uncomfortable. first I had the factory bars, then a pair of ATV Raptor bars, then a set of 70's Triumph western bars (These weren't too bad). the Triumph bars requires 1 1/8 - 7/8 spacers and a custom front brake line which my local parts store made up. lastly, the clubmans which are very comfortable (I had these bars on during the late unpleasantness).The inverted bars frame out the instrument cluster nicely, are a hair farther forward, but angle back considerably more. they give a nice racy feel whilst keep the wrists in a more natural position. I had the longer brake line on when i fitted the clubmans but I think with a bit of "Judicial" repositioning of the wiring and hydraulic lines, it may be possible to fit the bars without custom lines.
I don't know if anyone else dis likes the factory bars, but 7/8 clubmans are a agreat alternative in my opinion and can be picked up for about $25 new (E bay).
C.

clivepc said:
So, now it is home, engine sensors and wiring melted, several broken body parts, even the alternator belt cover melted off the bike before she died.

If you need it, I have a spare ( unmelted ;) ) airbox you can have. Also... I see Pinwall Cycle has a few salvage bits on Ebay that might help you out.

Hey thanks for the info on Pinwall Adrian. the airbox is also fine but thanks again. I need a headlight ring and glass,
maybe a front brake master cyclinder (The mirror mount broke off is all) and i may just clean it up and put bar end mirrors on the clubman bars. she's pretty straight considering and a mild custom job offers me the opportunity to use other parts. I'll probably never sell it, at least unitl I'm REALLY old, like 90!

Cheers again, I'll pop on Ebay.

C. :)

Unless you are desperate to keep the parabolic reflector headlight you'll find that Hella or one of the aftermarket suppliers has a perfectly acceptable H4 unit that will fit in the headlamp shell. The retainer ring is unfortunately, not available as a separate part. There are a host of aftermarket shels that will fit though with a small amount of re-wiring.

Pete

I was thinking the chrome Centauro bar and risers or maybe even the gray Titanium/Aluminum bar and risers would look and work good on the Griso. Just a thought.

All the best,

Mark

pete roper said:
Unless you are desperate to keep the parabolic reflector headlight you'll find that Hella or one of the aftermarket suppliers has a perfectly acceptable H4 unit that will fit in the headlamp shell. The retainer ring is unfortunately, not available as a separate part. There are a host of aftermarket shels that will fit though with a small amount of re-wiring.

Pete

thanks Pete, that's what i tend to do. I figured the ring would not be sperate.
C. ;)

Chicago Mark said:
I was thinking the chrome Centauro bar and risers or maybe even the gray Titanium/Aluminum bar and risers would look and work good on the Griso. Just a thought.

All the best,

Mark

You know having riden the bike with the inverted clubmans, i really liked the position for my 5 ft 9 frame.
they do look a little funky but i kind of like funky.
I'll think about it though Mark, Cheers.
C.

pete roper said:

Pete

Hey Pete, do you know where i can get a real "Workshop manual"? i see a few on line but i don't know if they have the real in depth engine info i need.
C. :geek:

Damn, I never managed to kill that VFR leaving it idling for over 45 minutes to get its tank dry! :D :D :D

Pete ought to be able to help you with the specs you're looking for. Just one thing I wonder about: did you fire her up to try and get her out of the ditch, or did she not go down enough to trip the tip-over sensor?

RJVB said:
Damn, I never managed to kill that VFR leaving it idling for over 45 minutes to get its tank dry?

Well, I think an air cooled behemoth running on its side for an eternity is permitted to toast itself out ....

Back