• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

8 valve exhaust

andyals

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hoping there are some exhaust boffins here.
I have an 1100 Griso.
I really like the 8V silencer.
I guess I'm one of the few that does.
I've just got one from ebay.
Anyway, whilst I know it'll fit, my question is, will it be OK to use it.
Am I likely to cause any running issues etc.
Hope to get some advice on this.

Given that you seem to be able to swap the std can for various others, either with or without db killer and without, seemingly, any other modifications I'd imagine it would be alright. Assuming that there's nothing 'odd' within.

Personally I very much liked the std G11 pipe, but ultimately I just wanted something with a bit more noise about it. I thought it was purer of line that the G12 can, but there you go.

From what I can see, it seems to be the 1100 silencer with another smaller pipe spurring off it.
The cat is in the same place.
What I'd like, is the 8V silencer, with the Termignoni sound.
I might try and achieve this
:evil:

I assume a stock can swap is acceptable 1200 for 1100. I ordered the Termi for my 1100 (from MI) and recieved the one for the 1200. I inquired that they send the wrong model - they said they sent the 1200 because it is 'better'.

The bargain £38 one corsa italiana had on E-bay ?

Actually I got it for £30 = £10 post.
It came from a non franchise dealer.
Hasn't arrived yet but I'm assured it's mint.
Those things are over a grand new :D

Hi,
oh dear, I've sold mine for €400,- (!!) :whistle: oktober last year on e-bay...
...to an Italian... (it's back to the roots)
I think I've got the "gold"prise for it... but it was in new condition. :cheer:

Ad B

Am I alone in thinking that the stock exhausts on both the 1100 and 1200 look by far the best on the Griso ?
I always liked the one on mine, and only changed it for the Termig after bowing to pressure from the piss taking of others.
The final straw came when someone said "bloody hell, you could do your laundry in that"
That said, I really do like the sound of the Termig.
I took my stock pipe to a bike exhaust maker today who said due to the construction, it would be impossible to dismantle it and remove the baffle to make it sound better, so that's my planned project for the 8V exhaust scuppered.
:(

andyals said:
Am I alone in thinking that the stock exhausts on both the 1100 and 1200 look by far the best on the Griso ?

I think so.. I couldn't wait to get a termi on mine.

andyals said:
I took my stock pipe to a bike exhaust maker today who said due to the construction, it would be impossible to dismantle it and remove the baffle to make it sound better, so that's my planned project for the 8V exhaust scuppered.

I'm pretty sure I've heard of people gutting these, maybe those were different mufflers though...

Awful looking things IMO first thing to be pulled off mine to be replaced by a TI Quat D can. And don't get me started on the bloody plastic chrome

Ha, I always liked the look of the 8v exhaust, but it weighs about 30 lbs. It will flow better than the 1100 pipe though. I have a Zard w/ db killer now. Would be glad to get 300 euro for that stock pipe though!

andyals said:

I did like the stock mufflers on the Griso's, and thought they looked better then most of the replacement mufflers on the market. Most of them are just a generic muffler that is used for a number of applications. I had a Quat D on my Griso and while it sounded much better it was not better looking to my eyes. Then Todd came out with his right side exit pipe, that is the only system that to me actually is an improvement over stock in the looks department. The sound is mean, but a bit loud. Perhaps with his db killer it is fine, I had already made my own db killer.
I don't see eye to eye with Todd all the time, but his exhaust mufflers are some of the nicest I have seen, like the way the Zard systems USED to be. Now they seem to have fallen into the same rut as everyone else.

I have the Termi on mine but that is just because of the sound, I am puzzling with the thought of getting the original "debaffled" but that includes an angle grinder and a Tig welder, it is made not to be opened! that is a shame!

Well now here's an interesting thing.
I've been running my Griso on the Termig pipe (baffle out), for the last year now.
I always liked the look of the 8V pipe, and as this one came up cheap, I bought it.
Yesterday I fitted it and took my bike for a run.
Now I know I may get shot down in flames for saying this, but in my humble opinion, my bike at least seem to run a lot better on the 8V can.
Pick up seemed more instant, and the engine definitely seemed to rev more freely.
There was a lot more urgency in the mid range, and whilst it's difficult to accertain any increase in acceleration, there was definitely a crisper more satisfying throttle response right through the rev range.
It was a different, and dare I say better bike with that exhaust pipe on.
Of course the sound wasn't there, but I am now in two minds as to weather or not to re fit the termig.
I mean apart from the sound, are we really getting any benefits from swapping the original exhausts ?
Many years ago, I owned a Yamaha FJ1200 and the club hired a rolling road dyno and tested several after market exhaust systems, and you know which one came out best ?
Yep, the original Yamaha system was proven to be the best.
Have a look at this video of a race prepped Griso, and check out the exhaust pipe they are using.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKHwhFZ5FXM

Hi Everyone, reviving an old thread here...

I'm considering doing the same thing as Andyals (original poster). I prefer the looks of the Griso 8V stock silencer, and it looks like you can put an 8V silencer on an 1100 without issue. The youtube video below demonstrates this as well, it's in German, but you get the idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj1UdD9mNPI

Is there anything else I should be aware of when installing an 8V exhaust on the 1100? Assuming the mounting hardware is all the same etc...

Anyone else have experience with this?

Thanks.
-Tim

Before getting my G12 I was fully expecting to get the Termi/Griso pipe and leave the db killer in for the best performance. But the more I see and hear the stock 8v pipe, the more I think it's ok. Several people have told me the bike sounds very nice too. The 8v pipe is 'unique', but then so is the Griso.

All the best,

Mark

Hi,

the original 8v exhaust is good, sounds not to bad.
But it's huge... :sick:
It's bigger as my pipe on my furnace :mrgreen:
Now my Griso has a quite clean end, the looks at the wheel is good now.

Ad B

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 581
I love the look of the stock pipe on the G11, sat in there just right; and huge and another talking point. The G12 I like less so, lacks the same 'purity' of line for me.

Either ways I couldn't handle the bike being so quiet and eventually picked up a 'cheap' Termi on ebay. I've never run it with the db killer in, I've seen Pete's and other's views on this but it feels like it runs the same to me. And not actually that loud either.

I have a GPR can on mine with twin db killers only had it on the bike two days and the cam went south nothing to do with the can, i did run it with no db in it sounds great, bike is still at the dealers with no parts been there since march well pissed off at the mo this is the second set of followers and cams its had as recall has been done looks like same quality parts were used to fix it not good with just on 9k miles covered anyhow if anyone wants a std 8v can i have one that i will sell

Back