• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Blowing fuses

Turtleman

Tuned and Synch'ed
Anybody had any problems with blowing fuses?

Its a 15 amp fuse in the relay box in the front fairing.

In some of the 2008 Stelvios you had to remove a relay (this was issuesd as a technical note by MG) which could cause the starter motors to be continuously powered and cause a short circuit, this relay was removed, but the sometimes the power still stays on to the starter motor. So far not sure what causing the fuse to blow (2 have blown now).

Any ideas ?

Turtleman

Not the same fuse, but I had a nasty problem with one of the main underseat fuses blowing repeatedly. Took some investigating but it finally came down to a bad fog light relay. I swapped the factory relay out and haven't had any problems since.

Are you saying that the starter sometimes keeps spinning?
If so you need to fix that.

If you mean everything is normal, but out occasionally pops a fuse, when does it pop? When you try to start the bike?
What fuse? If it is the starter fuse, the solenoid may be sticking.

Hi Wayne,

Good questions ! What happens is that it occasionally pops a fuse, this seems to be the 15 amp fuse for the "ignition" or "services" not sure which from the wiring diagram (need to check again - but while seated on the bike its the first fuse on the left hand side next to the relays - note this bike has the relays towards the front of the bike with the fuses forward closer to the rider (some are different - my mates is the other way round). The fuse blows when I jab the the starter button. When the fuse has blown the glove box won't open and no neutra light shows so I think this is the "services" fuse.

The starter motor spining seems to be be caused by the starter "switch" which I now noticed sticks on ever so slightly, I took the switch apart last night and the ball bearing in the switch seems to stick occasionally and ever so sightly sometimes. So this may be a separate problem to fuse that blows / or I suppose it could also be causing the fuse to pop if the startmotor is damaged or solenoid is sticking?

If the starter solenoid sticks, that will blow a fuse.

Here is a possibility:
The Norge and Breva have a starting issue, looking at the Stelvio schematic, it is the same garbage.

+12 leaves the battery, goes through a 30 amp fuse near the battery, goes forward to the ignition switch. Then to a 15 amp fuse, back to the ignition switch, to the start relay, then to the starter.

On the Norge and Breva with the fuses under the back seat, there is a LOT of wiring, connectors, two fuses, and two passes through the ignition switch. It can fail to pull the starter solenoid. This leaves you with a no start, or a blown fuse. (a solenoid that does not pull draws a lot more power then a solenoid that has pulled)

The Stelvio wiring is just as goofy, BUT, the wire to and from and too and from the ignition switch is a much shorter path, so less likely to be an issue.

If this is it, cleaning the ignition switch contacts with a deoxidizer may help a lot.

Doesn’t seem to be the switch as that is now working very well.

The fuse that blows is the F2 15amp which according to the manual and wiring diagram points to the starter motor solenoid (or it could be relay I suppose).

Any particular issues to check on the starter motor/solenoid ?

Fixed the problem

Seems to have been a combination of a poor earth, the earth behind the starter motor cover was quited badly crroded, I seem to recall this being an issue on other posts, and (of course) the battery terminals were not in the best of shape, but the battery was working well. Suprised it started at all, anyway several fuses later all now fine.

Back