• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Tire replacement for 1200 Norge

bsahdmg

Just got it firing!
I want two replace the stock tires with something that has some life to them. I am not a hard rider so I don't fill like I need really soft tires that grip well. I would like a good all around tire that will last more then one or two seasons of riding. I will only put around 2000 miles a year on my bike and most of my riding is on flat rodes. A friend at our local bike shop suggested Avon's or Dunlops. I'm open to suggestion. Thanks !!

Flat roads? Get yourself dual compounds, at least for the rear. Many of us have very good experiences with the Dunlop Roadsmarts, but I've heard positive noises about the new Pirelli Angel STs as well.

Michelin Pilot Road II, dual compound, exactly what you are looking for. In mixed (both highway & mountain/canyon) usage I got 11000 miles front, 7100 rear. By comparison Dunlop Roadsmarts, same bike & usage, 6500 miles front and rear, metzler Z6 9300 front, 5600 (down to cord!) rear (will never use Z6 rear again, no tread hence no wearbands down center, no warning till cords show through).

+1 for the Michelins. On my 3rd set and I'm very happy with them. Haven't tried others, but I found them more planted than the metzelers and much better wear, they don't square off.

Pilot Road for me too. :D
Espessially for all weather conditions the Pilot Road tires are perfect. They have a very good grip on wet roads and for your kind of use they will last for 3 seasons I think. The new Pilot Road 3 tires are available, but I don't know there featrures. But I think they will be better than the 2-series.

I am planning to replace mine soon also with a set of Shinko Raven 09's ....Save about $100 over the PR2's pair. Both front and rear for less than $175 delivered from most of the major net stores.. I have my second set of Shinko's on my V-strom and they work great... One buddy here already has the 09's on his Norge and likes them.

I have been using Pilot Roads on my Triumph Sprint for years. I went down to the cords on the stock Metzler as well... that was a shocker, and went for a Pilot Road rear on the Norge. Put about 1000 miles on it & promptly collected a nail. :roll:

anyway, Pilot Road 3 now going on. Supposed to be the best Bib has to offer.

we'll see.

fitted Pilot Road 3s to the B1200 this morning front and rear and did 250 miles to and from mid Wales to scrub them in.They felt excellent, a significant improvement over the Roadtech Z6s they replaced which only lasted 4000 miles on the rear.They tipped into the corners more readily and felt really grippy once warmed up.
The tread pattern is much better as noted by other posters, there is coverage right across the tyre.
Next step is a proper suspension set up at Kais in Atherton.

Before my trip to Portugal, I replaced front and rear Michelin Pilot Road 2 after 17500 km. They were not at their end, but wouldn't last another 6000 km. The dealer had the Pirelli Angel ST available. They came good out of road tests by motormagazines. Now I'm back in Holland after 17 days and 6500 km's and they look almost like new. Had high temps. and lots of highway km's. I'm very happy with those.

I've just had a pair of Michelin Road Pilots fitted to my Breva 1200, replacing the OE tyres. They are the original (pre 2 & 3) Road Pilots,( I had to buy on price :oops: ) and are much more confidence inspiring than the Metzelers, so I would think that the Road Pilot 2 or 3 would be a very worthwhile investment.

Michelin's PR2 are the best for me so far. My buddy has a Breva as well and his RoadSmart (sport touring version) wore out much quicker (25% less miles) but it performed fine. The RS squared off more than the PR2 near the end of service with the same rides for both tires.

Currently I'm running the Battalax 023-GTs, I'm surprised how well these perform at about 20% less than the cost of PR2s. Durability is still up in the air, but with 3k mi on the rear it still looks good. I think the shoulder compound is stickier than the PR2,s they have a rougher texture in that area. Update 9/23/11: I experienced the most sliding/slipping with the 023's and total mileage was about the same as the PR2s. Had a heck of a time getting the rear tire off.

Next I have a set of Metz, Z8s, I want to try out the multi tension zones. My buddy has a set of Pirelli Angel sport touring waiting for him. Then after that I may try the PR3s but not if wet performance is the only improvement. I may try the Pilot Power 2CT for local twisties. 9/23/11: Nope, the Avon Storm 2's will be next.

Update- 9/23/11: Have about 3k miles on the Z8s now. To my surprise they are great tires. I did not like Metzelers ME 88 on my old Tontis, preferred Avon Super Venoms back then a stickier tire with higher mileage - go figure. Z8's do not transmit the bumps in the road to the bike as readily as the other brands I've tried. They are very neutral and stick like glue in the twisties. They seem to absorb small stones on the road, in other words they reduce adverse affects of riding over small stones. No squaring off yet. High mileage in not my main concern. Its great performance with the highest possible mileage.

If milage is the main aim, why not Metzler ME880 Marthons on the rear? I have had great life out of them on my mules. I don't put them on my sportie type bikes, but my every day riders and tourers I do. Good ride, great mileage, good wet/dry traction and respectable cornering. JMHO :)

No René, the only tyres I had on my bike were Michelin Pilot Road, Pilot Road 2 and these Pirelli Angel ST.
I can't say if the Pirellis are better than the Michelins. For me they are equal for riding and wear. Also on the twisty roads in Portugal the Pirellis gave lots of confidence. If you ever go there you must ride the N103 from Braganza to Braga.... 200 km of curves no km of straight road. :D
(The newest Norges are fitted with Pirellis)

In my experience, avoid Avons. They are a wider profile than most and when I fitted one to my Breva a few years ago I found it touched the swingarm. Changed it to a PR2 and used them ever since. I've now got a Norge and that's probably what willl be going on it next week.

Phil

PhilM said:
In my experience, avoid Avons.

Phil,

Which Avons did you try. I've recently found that I can't judge a brand by trying only one of their models. I didn't care much for ME88s and Lasers and found a better tire in the SuperVenoms. So I stayed away from the brand, now, after trying the Metzeler Z8s are the best sport/touring tire that I've tried so far including the PR2s and Dunlap RoadSmarts.

I'm on my 3rd set of Z6s. I've been getting 15k km out of the rear and closer to 20 out of the front.

No idea what I'm doing to get that sort of milage!

Back