• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge 1200 ABS reset?

simonbry

Just got it firing!
Hello everybody! I just got a used 2008 Norge 1200 and battery was disconnected for shipping. Now up and running, but the ABS light is on steady and obviously the ABS system isn't functional. On my 1991 BMWK100RS I could reset the ABS after a low-voltage battery situation or excessive wheelspin through a simple procedure found on the K-bike tech pages. What's the deal with this Norge ABS system, in this situation? Any suggestions much appreciated.

Have you pushed the abs on/off button on the left side of fairing cowling to turn it on? Light should go out.
Bob.

Hmmm. Thank you very much for the prompt suggestion, Bob. That's not my reading of how that button (and the ABS light) work, from the manual. FWIW I did try to disable the ABS using the button on the (left side) cowling, but that did not work either to disable the ABS (which would have been indicated by a slow flashing of the ABS light) or to turn the ABS light off. Is that manual badly written? It says: "To deactivate the ABS system, Turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position, Press and hold down the button. After roughly three seconds the ABS light on the panel will begin to flash. Immediately release the button. At this point the ABS light on the panel will continue to flash slowly; the ABS system is completely deactivated. To reactivate the ABS system, stop the vehicle and turn off the engine, turning the ignition switch to "OFF". Turn the ignition switch back to "ON" and start the engine. Once the vehicle begins to move the ABS system will reactivate once the vehicle has exceeded 5 km/h (3.1 mph". Are you saying Bob that in your experience there's a simple toggling on/off function to the ABS, controlled by the switch on the cowling, which isn't described in the manual?

Anyway I just took the bike out to be perfectly sure I was getting it up to speed to activate the ABS and so cancel the light, and I noted that the speedometer was indicating exactly zero. On initial ignition-on the speedo needle does the full-sweep thing, but doesn't indicate road-speed. Furthermore after a few kilometers the red triangle light came on. So I stopped, shut down, and re-started. No change (ABS light on steady, speedo not working, red triangle light on). Tach is working and the bike seems to run fine.

Now what's going on with this speedo? I looked but don't see an obvious pickup anywhere, must be off the transmission. I'm going to disconnect the battery for a few hours, in case this might reset things and make this miserable situation go away.

Any further suggestions would be much appreciated.

It could be the sensor. There's been quite a bit of discussion on the forum about faulty speedo sensors and this sound similar

Nope. The ABS models obtain speed through the front ABS (Hall-effect) sensor. While this thing can break down, they're supposed to be very robust and reliable. Things to check would be sensor-misalignment with the coder wheel (the sensor should 'see' the slots in the coder). You'll have to do this for both the front and rear sensors, as the ABS is likely to signal a fault when one of the sensors is not giving a proper reading (that's why you have to reach a certain speed/distance after starting the bike). It could also be simply the ABS fuse that's blown or pulled. If that fails, check the dashboard computer for any errors that might be stored (the code to get into the Diag menu is 28315).

Note that when you switch off the ABS yourself as well as during that initial speed/distance check, there *is* a speed indication, so its absence in your case indicates a real issue. If the sensor and fuse checks don't reveal any anomalies, you'll have to take the bike to a dealer who has an Axone or Navigator.

This may sound silly, but have you checked the battery cables/leads on the battery.
My Norge has two earth cables. One for the abs.
Mine was left off at one time and I am sure the ABS light stayed "on"? and the speedo did not work. I think. Just a suggestion and I hope it cures your ills.

Allan K

See Allan's comments above. Likely the issue if the battery had been disconnected.

Re: Norge 1200 ABS reset? Solved!

PRECISELY as AllenK and GT-Rx surmised!
(beverage of choice awaits each in Canmore, Alberta)
Second (ABS) negative battery lead had slid down out of view and not being familiar with the bike I'd only reconnected the other one. All seems to work perfectly now. What a relief.
That's what (new) friends are for!
Thank-you all, again.
-Simon-

Re: Norge 1200 ABS reset? Solved!

simonbry said:
PRECISELY as AllenK and GT-Rx surmised!
(beverage of choice awaits each in Canmore, Alberta)
Second (ABS) negative battery lead had slid down out of view and not being familiar with the bike I'd only reconnected the other one. All seems to work perfectly now. What a relief.
That's what (new) friends are for!
Thank-you all, again.
-Simon-

hey Simon...
you're from Canmore?

do you know Mike?

:mrgreen:

ae97160485a9cebff6eb23324b559456.jpg

Always try the simple stuff first, then go from there. Lots of knowledge here and every one seems to get their problems sorted.
Bob

Re: signing off Norge 1200 ABS reset? Solved! Mike.

Yeah, evidently I could hang and ride with Mike. And his friend Chuck, from Rimbey. Mike would bring his dog along in a sidecar. We'd go to the Mens(a) meetings together. Eh?

Back