• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Gel seat insert & or Airhawk

Big E

Cruisin' Guzzisti
i've never come to terms with the Stelvio seat, infact my backside and this seat are the worst of enemies so I thought I'd have a gel insert (the seat not my arse). I can honestly say the Gel insert has made no difference whatsoever. I can only think that the flat profile doesn't suit my delicate posterior, so where next??

Has anyone used a Airhawk seat pad & if so what do you think of it?

Cheers

Ian

I have used air hawks in the past and loved them. What I like is the adjustment of the air hawk, as you age you get more aches and pains, all you need to do is change the air pressure to suit your new ache. I normally fill the air hawk up so it is pretty hard then let air out slowly until my butt cheeks just begin to touch the seat and leave it there.

They now have two models for sale in the US, $99 & $179, one or two year warranty, there is a difference in materials and the air bleed system, hence the most expensive one is the easiest to operate / use IMHO.

I am about to purchase a new one as my 8 yr old model is beginning to lose air over a 24 hr period. Buy one your butt with thank you.

Neither worked for me.. If not comfortable
nothing else really matters on the bike if you can stand to sit on it..
Look into having seat modified or get a custom saddle. I've done both successfully.
This is a modified stock Norge saddle.

Attachments

• FinishedSeat-1.jpg
    FinishedSeat-1.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 1,012
The circle of life ... (or circle of butt-burn solutions)

Wayne O.'s Airhawk didn't work for him and his, so he sold it to me and mine and we go nowhere without them.

It turns ANY seat into a custom-made seat designed to fit your personal behind. Buying it cheap (used) helped take the sting out of the MSRP. I've sat on mine once with screwdriver in my back pocket and poked a hole in it, but a tube patch took care of that and we have many happy miles together.

Lannis

Get a new arse! I have no problem, but then I am known at the ludus as Maximus Gluteus, shame it's not Biggus dickus :D

IMHO the stelvio rear set seat is wonderful. Really comfortable. The main seat is great for being in the twisties and harder / uneven riding conditions when scooted way forward - really quite perfect. It's when the riding gets long and mostly straight , I.e. When you are relaxed, that it gets uncomfortable after 2 hours. The stelvio seat is designed for mountain riding -- so we need to come up with a seat that can do both well-- maybe not possible.

I am finding the Stelvio seat really uncomfortable and would welcome any advice on where to get the seat rebuilt.

I tried a gel pad that clips over the seat. It was comfortable but it gave no grip tothe textiles I wear (Rukka) and feels like you will just slide off the bike. It also looks naff.

Cheers

"Tony Archer in Huddersfield", if you go on the boxertrix forum and search for that, you'll see some examples of his work.

I must have an odd shaped 'council gritter' as the Stelvio has the most comfortable bike seat I've ever owned (over 45 bikes). Must just be me...

Bisonheed said:
I must have an odd shaped 'council gritter' as the Stelvio has the most comfortable bike seat I've ever owned (over 45 bikes). Must just be me...

Yep, you're definately an ironbutt. It's amazing how we all differ and so there's no definitive answer. I note that the post 2009 models seem to have a softer foam and a different vinyl cover, maybe that's the answer. I seriously find that after 40miles I just want to get off the bike and walk, should be interesting in Southern Spain this year if I don't get an AirHawk beforehand.

I used Caulfield Leathers for my gel insert, decent fell, knows what he is doing and a damned good upholsterer too(£70 for the job), shame it didn't sort my arse out, perhaps I should have had the insert in my buttocks.

Ciao

Ian

Big E said:
Bisonheed said:

I used Caulfield Leathers for my gel insert, decent fell, knows what he is doing and a damned good upholsterer too(£70 for the job), shame it didn't sort my arse out, perhaps I should have had the insert in my buttocks.

Ian

Ian, was the £70 just for the gel insert ? .. I quite fancy a leather recover

Art

PS- I find the more time I spend on my mountain bike saddle the more comfortable my Breva seat becomes :laugh:

On my BM* I tried gel seat inserts and in the end went for an Airhawk medium cruiser seat, from agony in 100 miles to being able to travel 500 plus miles in a day with no problems

I use an airhawk when riding for more than two days in a row and find it brilliant. The trick is to resist the logic to put a lot of air in it. As another poster stated, fill it then let the air out until your butt is just shy of the bike's seat. Less is best. A mate of mine didn't like his until he realised that the idea wasn't to actually sit on air but to have the cushion wrap around your ass to spread the pressure! Less air reduces the separated from the bike feeling too!

The thing that I don't like about gel is that it heats up when parked in the sun and retains the heat for a long time - creating discomfort. This may not be such an issue in cooler climates.

Bought an AirHawk, just doen a quick 40 miles which would normally have my backside begging for mercy but so far so good. I'll give it a proper try out tomorrow.

I must add that if you've never sat on an AirHawk it's an experience, a bit like sitting on fat girlfriends belly, very weird sensation but we'll see how it goes.

Ian

Ian, As has been said don't be tempted to put too much air in it, I did at first and hated it. The secret is to have as little in as possible. Depending on the contour of your seat you may want to experiment with the fore/aft position of your airhawk. Just been to Dijon for Coupes Moto Legend without any problem, apart from running over my camera. Anyone got any photos? Nigel

nigelm said:
Ian, As has been said don't be tempted to put too much air in it, I did at first and hated it. The secret is to have as little in as possible. Depending on the contour of your seat you may want to experiment with the fore/aft position of your airhawk. Just been to Dijon for Coupes Moto Legend without any problem, apart from running over my camera. Anyone got any photos? Nigel

Thanks Nigel, I did 120 miles this morning with varying prssures down to almost nothing and found the AirHawk made no improvement whatsoever. Having now spent over £200 to try to make the bike comfortable I've decided to do the run down to Spain and then get rid of the Stelvio when I get back. I would swap it now but it's too near our departure date.

Cheers

Ian

For what it's worth I tried an XT1200z Yamaha before I bought the Stelvio and found it had the most uncomfortable, least forgiving seat I've ever sat on ! Maybe that could be the bike for you ???

Bisonheed said:
For what it's worth I tried an XT1200z Yamaha before I bought the Stelvio and found it had the most uncomfortable, least forgiving seat I've ever sat on ! Maybe that could be the bike for you ???

Ah lateral thinking, you seem to be suggesting I have a negatively charged arse so a traditionally uncomfortble bike may suit my my needs, maybe if i took the seat off and sat on the battery it would prove more comfortable, and following that line of thinking it would be even better than expected because it's got a Gel battery. :lol: :lol:

Ian

Back