• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge refuses to start when warm

zebee

Tuned and Synch'ed
At the moment, I'm just commuting. 40 min ride to work, park, 40 min ride home.

Sometimes I stop to shop on the way home, and frequently the Noggie will refuse to start! Lights all work, fuel pump starts, no starter noise.

If I wait till the bike has cooled down, it starts.

I've tried reseating all fuses, and replaced a dodgy one, no go. Tightened all connections, no go.

It doesn't do it every single time, but enough that it's damned annoying! (Of course the time it didn't do it was when I took it to Dave Ward to have a look!)

Any ideas as to what it might be?

Did you clean the battery and starter connections before tightening? You might have some oxidation on the terminals and the heat increases resistance just enough to not allow the starter to go. I has a similar problem, turned out to the the starter solenoid.
Another time is was dust build up in a Valeo starter, just blew it out with compress air to fix it. But that starter was about 14 years old.

Battery all done, and I think Dave did the starter when he did a service. (After transporting the bike from the side of the road where it had refused to start even when *I* was bloody cold!)

It's done it once after it refused to not start for Dave, and been OK since then. I still don't trust it...

Thanks for the link Brian, I'll have to take the laptop down to the bike and see if I can work out the areas they are talking about.

Looks like it might need a fairing strip, ugh.

Just the lowers to access the starter itself, and the small sidecover below the seat on the RH side to access the relays.

If you don't do the wiring job to the starter, you don't have to worry about removing the lowers. I increased the gauge of the wire powering the starter solenoid, and never missed a start, even after the bike sitting for a couple of weeks.
I had the exact same symptoms as you, no start when hot, ok after cooling down.

baloches said:
Just the lowers to access the starter itself, and the small sidecover below the seat on the RH side to access the relays.

If you don't do the wiring job to the starter, you don't have to worry about removing the lowers.
To just rewire the start relay all you have to remove is the RH upper panel, one screw. Couldn't be easier.
Remove yellow wire from start relay, replace with similar wire direct to battery positive, preferably with a 15A fuse in between.

For some reason I've found some of the threads on this subject (by the guys who pioneered the fix) to be confusing.

So I started one that includes a very basic description for people like ME.

wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=43725.40

That brings you into Page 2 where I discuss how I actually went about the uber-easy install.

Rather belated followup...

The relay wiring fix did the job. It's started like a good little bike since then.

Funny, I have had to do a similar fix on my loopframe and on my 850T! You'd think they'd have sorted it in 30 years, wouldn't you.

I also had to do the V50, and the Spada III. Also did a Cali 1100i for the same reason.
Yes they do seem to have their collective heads buried in the sand (or worse :eek: ).

Is all of this not what kevm mentions above and what has been the subject of several (rather lengthy) threads, with the "startus interruptus" one offering a "Fix for Dummies" (like me :roll: ) approach, https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/topic.html?f=188&t=7161&p=53670&hilit=startus#p53670?

I'd have bought one of those MPH gizmos had Wayne Orwig not made the fix for me, tho I might have been tempted to try kevm's DIY approach.

Bill

P.S. My brother had Riders Hill do the fix, then had to call for roadside assistance yesterday when his B11 would not start. Shoddy work by RH? Nah ... bro left key on overnight. :woohoo:

Back